New Sound Card - Need Opinions

NJspeed

Reaction score
I'm currently using the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. It's 16 bit and 48khz. It has all the features I need as far as input and output is concerned.

So does the SoundBlaster Audigy 2 Value, which is less than $70 now in Best Buy. However the SoundBlaster is also 24 bit and 192 khz!

My real question is whether I should dish out $70 for the SoundBlaster?

The Turtle Beach has held its own so far, but it's 4 years old and the SB seems too cheap of an upgrade to pass up.

Will I really hear any difference? I mostly play PC games with headphones, although I sometimes use the speakers and sometimes I even hook it up to my 5.1 home theater receiver. The Santa Cruz sounds good but I imagine the SoundBlaster must sound much better..?

I'd go as far as to say I've always thought that Santa Cruz sounded phenomenal.. but hey, if another card can sound BETTER for a measley $70, I'm all for it... Honestly though, whenever I've put a friend of mine on the PC to play HL2 or another game.. and they use my Sennheiser headphones, they always say how good it sounds.. but I think it must be the quality headphones..?

Oh yeah, last question.. Will upgrading the sound card reduce the amount of processing that the CPU has to do...? Or does the Santa Cruz already handle all the sound processing?

Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2 Value - 24bit 64 Voice Pci 6 Speaker Support - Win98 Xp - OEM

£26.99 inc VAT

Off Ebuyer, but that's a UK site AFAIK. Thats not $70 is it??

NVM, its $71 at Newegg. I must be looking at a different card.

Back