New video game sue :/

Maxi

Tank
Reaction score
Ai ai ai! when will they ever learn!?

Read teh article here: Linkage

I think that it's NOT Sonys' fault or Take-Two or Rockstar Games. It's the people who shot them. No people with even the faintest bit of sanity would think that it's cool to shoot cars, not thinking that they might get a prison sentance and/or fines.

Bahaha, when people learn that games don't kill people, guns do, and bad parenting. Plus its not game fault that mentally retarded kids are free to walk among normal people. In asylum them all, I tell you! Jesus Christ, I live almost 4 years in USA now, and it is always someone else fault when something shitty happens.

Put all the kids in the army, give em guns and send em to bagdad and let them shoot the f*** out of each other and get it out of their system

or just grow people in boxes instead until their 19 then put them in a call center job for life ;)

Anyone know what happened to all the other suits like this?
I'm willing to bet that since we haven't heard from them that they were dropped or dismissed.

If games affected kids, we'd all be in small dark rooms munching pills. :dozey:

Originally posted by Kem2000

Games do affect kids, adults, everyone. Everything in our life affects us in some way, but the point is, how it affects. If after playing GTA3 you are taking real gun and go out to hunt some people down, you need to be put away.

GAMES DON'T KILL PEOPLE! PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!! JESUS, A GAME HAS AN M RATING FOR A REASON! MOTHERS AGAINT DRUNK DRIVING SHOULD PULL THIER HEAD'S OUT OF THIER ASSES AND REALIZE THIS!!! AND STICK W/ DRUNK DRIVING, NOT VIDEO GAMES! jeez... srry, had to let out some steam, people keep making worthless lawsuits againt one of my favorite games. but why sue sony and walmart? id they sue sony, shouldn't they sue microsoft? GTA is avalible on microsoft's platform... so microsoft should get sued... :dozey:

"Rage is a virtue that all posess, yet few can control"

i firgured out how to control it to my advantage, but as u saw in my last post, only sometimes :p

No, it's never the parents fault. Why blame the parents? Not like they have control over how the child is raised or anything of the sort.

Would video games be considered protected under the 1st amendment? I mean they are designers ideas expressed through the game.

When this subject eventually comes up, as it is likely to do on a forum such as this, the greater majority of posts declare the innocence of games in these situations. However, i believe this is due more to the fact that gaming is the favorite pastime of the majority of the users of this forum, and that you feel an obligation to defend it, rather than considering the true nature of the situation to reach a valid conclusion.

While games are not the direct cause of violence, it is not unwise conclude that children who play violent video games for many hours a week are subsequently desensitized to violence. Indeed, to reach this conclusion is only logical. While a person of healthy mind might be able to play violent games frequently and not be affected to any great extent, it is nevertheless true that frequent exposure to violence, even violence of a digital nature, will affect the mind in some way.

While it is true that these children may not have been in peak mental health when they committed this crime, it is obvious that they would not have committed this particular crime if they had not aquired the idea for the act from the game.

Live Long and Prosper.

Just to give my 2 Cents..

KEEP THEM D4MN REDNECK KIDS OUT THE STREET (PARENTS)

i think you just tried and failed miserably to quote that nintendo woman.

"Computer games dont affect kids; I mean, if Pacman affected us as kids we'd all be running around, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music."
--Kristan Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989

Yeah, but this thread was first.
Sp0ck: I think the problem is that no credible study has really ever proved a link between games an violence, yet they are cited ad nuaseum. In addition, me and many of the people I know grew up playing games, and there's not a depressed or homicidal person in the bunch. While GTA3 likely gave the kid the idea, when it has progressed to that point it is likely that ANY violent media could send them over the edge.
This kind of thing tends to be based on pure ignorance, and that justifiably offends a lot of people who enjoy games.

suits similar to this one have repeatedly been thrown out by judges. The best part about that is it makes it harder every time that happens, because our (US and british, at least) legal system is based very strongly on precedent. These people suing will have to show that this case is significantly different than the previous cases that were dismissed. Which I don't think they have a chance of doing.

Violent video games is a scapegoat for parents of mentaly ill children. I don't see any of them suing movie companies? I myself think movies represent gore and violence at a much greater realism than any video game.

The parents will find anyway possible to not put the blame on themselves. If this means ruining careers for several dozen game designers, then so be it.

Wait a minute, as far as I can remember in GTA III you could not shoot people that were inside cars. They only added that in Vice City.

Just more proof this case is a bunch of BS.

I don't see any of them suing movie companies? I myself think movies represent gore and violence at a much greater realism than any video game.

A highly illogical comparison. Some violent movies allow to see violence, but video games allow you to be violent. The effect of a violent video game on a fragile and undisciplined mind is far greater than that of a violent movie.

Live Long and Prosper.

Im willing to bet our favourite US anti-gaming authority (you know who) is going to be making another appearence soon.

You know, I really don't think Grand Theft Auto III can truly make someone numb to violence. It is NOTHING like real life violence, it's representative of it, but it's nothing like it. Shooting someone in the head in GTA III and shooting someone in the head in real life are vastly different experiences, I mean, really different. If you ever see the scene of a violent murder (like a shot to the head) I promise you that no matter how many violent games you play (this even applies to movies) you will be unprepared for it. Even vieo of REAL vilence and murder will shock even the most jaded gamer. It's the ones with mental illness, or really bad parenting that do stuff like this. Please, don't say that video game's and movies make you numb to real life violence, they don't, trust me.

Edit: Just spelling

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
Im willing to bet our favourite US anti-gaming authority (you know who) is going to be making another appearence soon.

no doubt

Originally posted by qckbeam
You know, I really don't think Grand Theft Auto III can truly make someone numb to violence. It is NOTHING like real life violence, it's representative of it, but it's nothing like it. Shooting someone in the head in GTA III and shooting someone in he head in real life are vastly different experiences, I mean, really different. If you ever see the scene of a violent murder (like a shot to the head) I promise you that no matter how many violent games you play (this even applies to movies) you will be unprepared for it. Even vieo of REAL vilence and murder will shock even the most jaded gamer. It's the ones with mental illness, or really bad parenting that do stuff like this. Please, don't say that video game's and movies make you numb to real life violence, they don't, trust me.

you, my friend, are a smart man... or woman.... or whatever u are

they should rather sue the parents of these children for not paying attention what their kids play. usually mature ppl aren't affected by games. (maybe a very tiny bit) but these parents obviously failed to check whether the game has the "M" and let their kids play it. they also failed to secure their weapons properly. sueing rockstar won't solve anything since gta3 aint the reason for the shooting.

we got sum very smart people in this thread, i still don't understand... why walmart! these people are so friggen stupid it scares me that there are people this friggen stupid

The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in the case last year that it was “simply to far a leap from shooting characters on a video screen to shooting people in a classroom.”

My goodness, seems like the US legal system can work sometimes...

And Javert, stop what, exactly? This thread? The useless lawsuits? Breathing?

Love the avatar by the way.

Seeya.

They are not gonna see not even a penny, sueing a video game company how ****in lame.
Yea, they family members died but WHO GIVES A **** ??????? its sure as hell not Rockstars fault, they made the game for people who want to have fun, and just because some idiot decided to blame Rockstar for his actions they think they can get money out of them ?? hahhaha get real.

I feel that everything in our lives has an affect on us. Every living being is a product of its enviroment. So I do believe that a child who is constantly subjected to violence, be it real or for "entertainment", will quite possibly have a more desensatised(sp?) view of it than a child who is not. And I will support laws which will require you to be 18+ years old to buy a mature rated game. If your child is stable enough to handle the violence found in a certain game then you can buy it for them, if you don't think that they're not mature enough to handle the game then you don't have to worry about them going to a store and buying it on their own. I was mature enough when I was younger to play games such a DOOM and the Mortal Kombat games, and not have it affect me to the point where I became violent. I understood that they were just games, and my mother had long talks with me on several occaisions about how violence in entertainment wasn't the same thing as in real life.

At the same time, you would have to be a stark-raving-mad-farking-idoit to think that your unstable and horribly unsupervised child going out and shooting cars is the fault of a videogame development company. I wonder if these parents are just pretending to be dipshits, or if they do have their heads stuck so far up their collective asses that they have lost touch with any sense of a base reality. What I think needs to happen is years of intense therapy for the children, coupled with the castration of everone in their families so we don't have to worry about such idiots clouding up our gene pool.

Playing video games have actually eliminated my violent behavior.

Before I started playing video games, I would take out my anger by hitting walls, doors, hitting myself and biting my arms. (I was never violent towards other people though).

Once I started playing video games, all of my violence went away.

Especially with the Postal 2 game. I bought the game Postal 2, in which I can do anything I want. Even decapitate people with a shovel.

Playing video games are my outlet for my anger.

Video games are my stress reliever.

Playing video games has actually turned me into a pansy, so to speak, instead of a macho violent psycho.

After a full day of playing video games, all I care about is going to sleep. Instead of going out there and doing violence to people.

It seems like people can sue anyone for anything these days. Just like that woman who sued because her coffee was hot. :rolleyes:

Anyway, games are made to escape reality (like tv) and they provide people with opportunities that they wouldn't be able to do in real life. Thanks to video games, someone can go snowboarding, golfing, racing, etc. in the comfort of their own homes, and with relative ease. In real life these opportunities don't always present themselves. It may be too warm for snowboarding, or too late at night for golfing, and too dangerous for racing.

That's why we have video games; to have fun and expand our imaginations while being safe and secure at the same time.

As for the victims families, I send my sympathies to them, but video games (such as Grand Theft Auto 3) are not to blame. There are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people who have played GTA3, and as far as I know, this is the only incident involving shootings related to it (correct me if I'm wrong). Statistically that means that less than 0.0002% of people go out shooting others as a result of GTA3. The numbers are just not in their favor.

Back