Newbie Half Life 2 crashing

D

deanarse

Newbie to half life 2 and i am hooked!

Now for no apparent reason the game crashes at the loading bar screen just before it has finished to desktop!

I was playing last night and reached the 'Follw Freeman' (citadel) stage when it originally crashed. Will not load at all now. I havent changed anything.

I installed the latest ATI drivers for graphics card and this started a whole host of problems including a note saying that I needed .NET version 2.0. I installed this but this hasnt cured the problem. It still askes for .NET v2.0! With the updated driver installed the DXDIAG function will not even run the Direct 3D test. It fails everytime. No game would work.

I used system restore and I am now back to the original state of the loading screen crashing. Please please help cause I am now livid!

My system (albeit not a very good one) is:

AMD Athlon XP3200 2.2GHZ
1MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 256MB

I know pretty old but ran game just fine.

Thanks

Rofl 1mb RAM. I'm sure you meant 1GB. Anyway, It sounds fine. Check your latest drivers and verify the game cache.
Steam > My Games > Right click game > Properties > Local Files > verify integrity

Do you get any error messages or does it just crash to desktop?

Thanks for replies!

1MB RAM lol. I remember getting a 1MB ram upgrade to my Amiga 500 in 1988, all my mates were well jealous!!

I get no error message though and system integrity seems fine.

The error messages about .NET will be about the Catalyst Control Panel, which needs .NET to run. Despite how ATI talk up this software, it is non-essential and pretty cumbersome.

Your system rollback, however, will probably have removed not only the CCC but the new drivers as well. As a result it's hard to know if new drivers still might fix your problem or not. I would suggest redownloading them but with the 'drivers only' package (no CCC) - OR alternatively (and preferably) go to www.omegadrivers.net and get the latest ones from there, which are a tweaked version of the Catalyst 7.10 drivers.

Back