No Gold? Thats ok. How about the SDK?

|LGW|Mith

Reaction score
I apologize if this is offtopic or already posted, i searched for it.

We can't really tell whats going on in terms of half-life 2's release. CS: S may be whats holding it back, what with it being 'beta' & coming with HL2. It may be delayed till november, who knows.

Still, Valve did say a while back the SDK would be released before Half-life 2, this may have changed since that damn leak, but it might not have. I really hope that valve will give us modmakers the SDK, that'll atleast make 1/2 of us happy until Half-life 2 is really released.

I am pretty sure that they have stated the SDK won't be out before the game.

I heard that it was changed to be released with the game.

well, they said that they would be releasing it in "installments", with XSI|EXP|HL2 already out.

You will probabnly see Hammer2 shipping with the game, and the rest of the sdk afterwords.

SDKs are never, or at least only rarely, released before a game.

I wish they would at least release tools like Hammer and the tool for creating material files (.VMT's I think) so us mappers can get going. I guess they don't want any CS:SB customs out.

Why why it's ol' mith. Yeh I really would like to see you LGW guys get cracking for what should be a great mod! It would be a shame if they do release the SDK after HL2's release as the initial plan was to let the mod dev's get started as soon as possible. Maybe email gabe asking for a new SDK date?

The SDK wont be released before the game. They said that it would be too difficult to release it w/o releasing the game

Why does everyone call the new Hammer, Hammer 2?

Current version is 3.5 (beta), the next one, considering the huge step, is probably going to be Hammer 4.0 :p

isn't the sdk out or at least some of it i mean i have XSI on my desktop and such i thought that was what were getting until the game releases or maybe im wrong.

CS:S isn't delaying HL2. CS:S is a test of HL2's engine and netcode.

^...witty...sigh

The hammer program can't be released before the game as it requires an awful lot of the files from HL2 to be useful, unless you want to make your own wads, entities etc you wouldn't get much done with it. Furthermore it's nice that mod makers are having to spend more time on design, the committed guys are keeping up, the losers are bailing out.

Yeah! Hammer 2! Worldcraft 4 Ever!!

Sorry, bit of a newb, but I just love making gigantic breakable tanks of water filled with ichthyosaurs surrounded by scientists, breaking the glass and watching the mayhem! (Yes I know I need help). I hope it comes out soon (and I hope the include the ichthyosaur model to, it’s my favorite one).

Sorry about this slightly of topic post.

doesn't the water just hover? It won't splash around...weird.

I remember some magazine before this year's E3 stated that the SDK would be released some time near E3. I'm not sure, but I think there's a slight change that they migh have been wrong.

Hammer would be nice, the entity list shouldn't be a spoiler problem anymore, I mean, the entire list is in the preload files.
Although it wouldn't be that useful, it would be nice :)

But what do you do with the SDK when the game isn't even out yet. Can you even build maps.

nope you can't build maps and despite their being an entity listing in the pre release you cannot use it for anything, they could have a list of every map, sound, and model and you wouldn't be able to get at them for use with hammer 2

john41 said:
gigantic breakable tanks of water filled with ichthyosaurs surrounded by scientists, breaking the glass and watching the mayhem!
Source doesn't support fluid dynamics, if I remember well.

I believe you are correct however its still fun to watch the ichthyosaurs swim out of a large wall of water lol.

|LGW|Mith said:
I apologize if this is offtopic or already posted, i searched for it.

We can't really tell whats going on in terms of half-life 2's release. CS: S may be whats holding it back, what with it being 'beta' & coming with HL2. It may be delayed till november, who knows.

Still, Valve did say a while back the SDK would be released before Half-life 2, this may have changed since that damn leak, but it might not have. I really hope that valve will give us modmakers the SDK, that'll atleast make 1/2 of us happy until Half-life 2 is really released.
yeah they shoulda gave mod makers the SDK, or should soon.

BTW your mod LGW is looking really cool so far, i want you guys to get the SDK so you can take it to the next level.

They did release the SDK.

It was like a buffet where you have to go to their network to get it.

Rupertvdb said:
^...witty...sigh

The hammer program can't be released before the game as it requires an awful lot of the files from HL2 to be useful, unless you want to make your own wads, entities etc you wouldn't get much done with it.

Us mappers don't need a single HL2 file for Hammer4 to be extremely useful. Custom textures and models all the way baby.

Back