No Shadows?

process

Reaction score
Ok I'm a newbie to this map editing lark so maybe this is real simple but i've searched in vein for a solution & as of yet nothing...

I'm getting no shadows what so ever from a point_spotlight (should i be? cause i want shadows!)

I've applied a window texture onto an object - a further 6 objects with a no_draw texture mimic the windows mesh. The spotlight shines through the mesh but casts no shadow. I wasn't sure if nodraw textures cast shadows so i created a crate on the floor & that also gives off no shadow.

Where am i going wrong? please help =)
=========================================

I'm hoping this will help deal with things..
http://www.uwc3mod.com/forums/showthread.php?p=402

Nodraw means the face of the object isn't drawn. It's used on backfaces to remove anything the player cannot see and optimise the amount of visual data 'called' as the player moves through different parts of the level.

If you want to make something transparent there are various ways. If it's for a window you either want to use a window model or you need to make a frame and a pane of glass and then change the glass brush to a 'brush-based entity' called 'func_brush', and set the fx amount to 50-150 (or 0 if you want it completely transparent).

Please show some pictures because it's quite difficult to work out what you're trying to describe.

Think of nodraw as absoluteley nothing because that is more or less what is is ingame. Nodraw is used on faces of your mpa that should never be seen. During compile the compiler takes note of these brushes (unless thay have been turned into entities) when figuring out what can be seen from where, but after that these faces are culled(removed). Look at things from your light's point of view and ignore any nodraw that you see. Then it should be fairly obvious what casts shadows and what doesn't.

To get those shadows, simply texture those faces.

Back