node graph outdated??

L

lambda_of_god

i know this is not pertaining to half-life 2, but since most of us are here anyway, it's the best way to get it answered, so my apologizes.....but:

i've been playing opposing force to satiate my HL² craves, but every now and then while i'm playing, the words "Node graph outdated. rebuilding." appears, and it stops the screen for a sec, and then continues. what's that all about?? i'm on xp, and i know the box doesn't say it's compatible with xp. still, anything i can do about it?

I believe the node graph for the AI has been lost, and HL must rebuild it. The AI quickly marks out the acceptable paths on the said map, and continues on.

This is more easily seen if you load up bots in Condition Zero on an unknown map, it does the same thing.

kinda directions for bots to navigate around a map, eg. for podbots in CS1.5 you had jump nodes, plant nodes, important area nodes, simple directional nodes

alrighty then! i fell as if this thread has come to a close...

My mapping skills are a bit rusty, and this has pretty much already been answered...but perhaps someone would like more information:

The node graph is a file that accompanies a map which shows the AI how to perform in specific areas, which needs to be compiled only once and is done at runtime. As the AI in Half-Life doesn't feature dynamic pathfinding or anything exceptionally special, the mapper must place info_node entities while making the map showing what the AI should be doing (which should be 64+ units away from a wall, and 256 or so units away from eachother, except on stairs - if my memory is working right at the moment) - for HL anyway...I'm sure mods and stuff have more advanced AI nodes.

Headcrabs kind of have their easy 'sit around and do nothing until the player runs by' AI, so they don't even really need the nodes. I think most of the other enemies also have some type of AI like this, but once you run around a corner, without the pathfinding AI, they'd just sit there.

So...there's not really a way to avoid it, but it's not a bug or anything. Shouldn't take too long on modern computers anyway (I think the WON based installed HL came with the compiled node graphs...but I'm not sure about that).

Feel free to correct any of that :D .

Anyone know if HL2 uses nodes still?

P.S. didnt FC use nodes ?

AcousticToad said:
Dammit...now I have the sudden urge to map again :( That means installing HL regular with OF then patching the bugger :(

You can still map with Steam you know. :p

I recently tried extracting some GCF files to increase HL2's Performance (as suggested by someone). After loading up my latest saved game i get "node graph outdated" and then "A.I. Disabled"..

Is there anyway I can fix this?

A.I. Disabled... like they just stand there doing nothing? How peculiar.
Reinstall dude.

lambda_of_god said:
i know this is not pertaining to half-life 2, but since most of us are here anyway, it's the best way to get it answered, so my apologizes.....but:

i've been playing opposing force to satiate my HL² craves, but every now and then while i'm playing, the words "Node graph outdated. rebuilding." appears, and it stops the screen for a sec, and then continues. what's that all about?? i'm on xp, and i know the box doesn't say it's compatible with xp. still, anything i can do about it?

This happened to me when I install bots for either scientist hunt or counterstrike? Do you have a third party AI

Here is how to fix it:
1. Make a autoexec.cfg in your root\hl2\cfg\ folder. (make a txt file and rename it)
2. Put this in your autoexec.cfg: ai_norebuildgraph 1
3. Save & have fun playing.

Back