Noticed the Lag?

iicehawk15

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the lag with steam recently? I may just be my damn cable provider, but maybe Valve is uploading the last chunk of hl2. I read somewhere that the last times preloads were uploaded there were spikes...

ciao

How do you mean lag? Only minor problem I've had with Steam lately is that it played incredibly laggy the first 30 seconds of a cs game, although my ping was 15-40.

PvtRyan said:
How do you mean lag? Only minor problem I've had with Steam lately is that it played incredibly laggy the first 30 seconds of a cs game, although my ping was 15-40.

strange i get a ping of 100 at the start of a cs game and then it evens out at 30.

funny u mention it i have had ALOT of lag recently,& i rarely experience lag. More so around the middle of today. It was directly after i had my files checked for validatity. Who knows thou, mite of just been a bad time of the day coz i know alot of ppl experienced the same thing.

I have been getting alot of LAG and Disconnects. Which I initially thought was my provider. Then I realized it was not because after getting booted outta CS for connection issues I went and played CoD with no issues. I came back played CS on several different servers and had issues again.

Today has been smooth sailing so far

yeah hmm it was for about 4 or five days, and know its fine. Just trying to find some hl2 info here...

I haven't experienced any lag whatsoever...

aside from my usual ping of 100. =P

My steam's running fine. Even downloaded CS:CZ when I realised I got it with silver, and no problems.

iicehawk15 said:
Has anyone noticed the lag with steam recently? I may just be my damn cable provider, but maybe Valve is uploading the last chunk of hl2. I read somewhere that the last times preloads were uploaded there were spikes...

ciao
I just looked at the servers and theres next to no CSS servers with a ping under 150. Only like 2 or 3.

I've been playing since he first days of the beta, and since it went "live" there has been something different. Not lag as I am usually ping under fifty, but I see other players warping. Not cool at all...but when I change servers it stops...could it be dial up users affecting this in certain games?

Yeah, despite what many like to shout on servers, dial-up users *do* affect the lag/latency of other users, even cable broadband users. Unfortunately about the only real thing you can do is *politely* ask them to leave. It'd be nice to see someone being nice on a server some day :)
Oh, and actually, ping almost entirely depends on your own location and connection, not Steam. I say this in reply to SnowBall as I have never seen a CS:S server with a ping of over 80!

Kirkburn said:
Yeah, despite what many like to shout on servers, dial-up users *do* affect the lag/latency of other users, even cable broadband users. Unfortunately about the only real thing you can do is *politely* ask them to leave. It'd be nice to see someone being nice on a server some day :)
Oh, and actually, ping almost entirely depends on your own location and connection, not Steam. I say this in reply to SnowBall as I have never seen a CS:S server with a ping of over 80!

you dial-up racist ! ;(

/me runs away screaming and crying like a little girl

I'm a real bastard aren't I :)
Anyways, I was on dial-up til recently ... 1.5Mb connection now! I would love to know shout "w00t" ... but I'm not one of those ...

(Yes, I'm a l33t racist too. Goddamn me)

Sickmind said:
I've been playing since he first days of the beta, and since it went "live" there has been something different. Not lag as I am usually ping under fifty, but I see other players warping. Not cool at all...but when I change servers it stops...could it be dial up users affecting this in certain games?

O MAN that is the exact thing that is affecting me. So angry and sad. I spent a fortune and something was broken. 2 of my pc have the same problem. Imho its not dialup user as i get it even when server is full of broadband user. it old be nice if it was fixed
pm if u find a solution to it

How about you tell VALVe support about it and see if they can help you. They are there for a reason y'know :)
Indeed, in CS:S there's a bug reporting system noww - very useful!

my steam fps recently plummeted from about 120 fps to 30 fps and 10 in firefights in D3D. Even worse in openGL. My connection is fine though and my pings about 30. In spectator mode i can get up to 60 fps though. 9700 Pro Catalyst 4.10. Anyone else with a similar issue and/or fix?

I have always had around 40-90 ping average on CS:S servers, I left for 2 days and came back yesterday, and now every server I join, my ping is around 250+...I use Comcast cable internet. Is this similar to what you're experiencing? Its pissing me off to no end

I solvced my quandry. my router caused it, not it works smooth as butter

Back