Nvidia planning to only release one driver update per year.

X

Xtasy0

NVIDIA's Editor's Day:
Two days before the launch of their new 5950 and 5700Utra graphics cards, NVIDIA did their best to get editors out from behind their test cards and keyboards in order to give them an earful of why NVIDIA is better than the competition and it turns out that competition is not ATI! (Read on.) As mentioned earlier, we decided to sit this one out as nothing that NVIDIA says at this point will change the actual gaming experience with their hardware.

Gamespot is reporting something quite interesting that did come out of the talks at NVIDIA's Editor's Day though. It seems as though NVIDIA wants to follow the road that ATI started to diverge from some two years ago.

However, according to an Nvidia representative, though the company has traditionally released reference drivers quarterly, it won't necessarily continue to do so unless needed, and that ideally, the company hopes to release as few as one driver update per year--though on this point, a representative acknowledged that the GeForce FX line of cards has a known issue with full-scene anti-aliasing (especially in recent games like Halo for the PC), and that the company hopes to address this issue soon.

Jensen Huang also seems to think that ATI has made no impact on their market place.

Huang also made the interesting claim that although his company has recently experienced a loss of market share (Nvidia has traditionally sold the most graphics cards, from its entire product line, of any manufacturer), this loss was due not to competition from ATI, but rather, to competition from Intel's integrated graphics.

It is apparent that Jensen has not been talking to the folks that are heavily involved in retailing their mid and high end products here in North America, because a lot of those guys are still trying to stop the financial bleeding from NVIDIA's near full-exit from the high end market over the last year.

As for us not attending NVIDIA's Editor Day, reading this coverage just further impacts that we have made the right decision to take the time to spend with NVIDIA's hardware instead of listening to them tell us how great it is and how great it is going to be.

The message is clear. One nDriver a year and ATI makes no impact. I think NVIDIA is the one smoking the hallucinogens this week. Who knew NVIDIA would be doing standup?

quotes from hardocp.com bold text is from the gamespot article, italicized text is from HardOCP.

what do nvidia users think about this?

Doesn't really apply to me very much any more.

But I wouldn't really know what to think anyways... it can be argued for on both sides.

meh, my ti4600 runs great on the 44 det drivers, and since im not buying any new nvidia, doesnt matter to me at all
- my ONLY complaint is.... that they really need a new drive for the nforce2 platform

I would say ATI made an impact but ATI has not benefited as much from it.
Most sales are not retail but OEM and they still like to keep with Nvidia.

Its been waging for ages. Nvidia will lose.

*SidewinderEdit v0.04b*

Back