Oblivion Reviews Thread

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Post reviews here

here's the first impressions review at IGN:

"Anyway, it's been a limited session so far, so these are just cursory impressions of a massive game. If you're really on the fence about spending your dollars for Oblivion and are waiting for the review, then you're going to have to keep waiting. This is a huge game, and we need some time to play through. However, this game so far has some of the best graphics on the Xbox 360, a dizzying array of gameplay options and tons and tons of quests and items and foes. If that sounds like something you'd enjoy, then buy all means take the plunge and pick it up. Sure, a few gripes about loading stutters and floaty character movement can be made, but for now, I'm hooked. We'll have more as soon as we can.

specs: Dell XPS Gen 4 with a GeForce 7800GTX, 3.4GHz P4, 2GB of PC3200 RAM
settings: Oblivion auto-detected the settings at Ultra High, albeit at 1024x768, with no anti-aliasing.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/697/697213p1.html

It all sounds very positive so far.

On Xbox the loading times can range between 10 and 30 seconds, and can have a stutter effect on the game as it continues from a load.... that sounds no different from Half Life 2 on my PC, so that doesn't concern me personally. I'm also not surprised that when exploring the more grassland/forest areas, that pop-up's become more apparent.

All of these issues seem to be very minimal when you try and picture the scope of Oblivion.

Developer Retrospective Thread

http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=11817412

"I've been working on Oblivion since the end of 2002. Every day since then, I've looked at this game, thought about this game, and sweat blood and tears with this game for over 3 years of my 29 year life. My father was diagnosed with cancer, and passed away during the development of TESIV. I've moved 3 times since beginning to work on Oblivion. Heck, I've even moved my desk at work 3 times since production began.

I spent the entirety of last month - and I mean the entirety, working on downloadable content for Oblivion. I'm talking 12+ hours a day, 7 days a week for a month solid. This was just after crunch for TESIV too. Why? I simply want whatever work I do and put into this game, and any game, to be the absolute ****ing best it possibly can be. You all deserve that without question, and no less. I certainly desire the same out of the games I am passionate about."

I just want at least one person - one person out there on this ****ed up, wobbling piece of rock that loves games, that is fed up with all of the bullshit in day to day life, fed up with all of the assholes out there that climb all over each other to get 'ahead', or take their loved ones for granted, or can't see past their own nose to empathize with each other on a human, person-to-person level. I know there's at least one person out there who will see the hard work that we, and that other companies do while making these virtual worlds and sigh to themselves - At last, someone else out there understands."

more player impressions:

"Graphics are running nicely on my 2.6ghz P4 with 9800pro and 1gig ram. I have it set to 800x600, x2 AA, most settings medium or low, but distant things turned on. My only problem is the oblivion gate! I get about 2fps when I am looking at it. Which setting can I change to reduce whatever effect it is using? Other than that, everything is fine"

reviews are starting to come in:

AtomicMPC
9.5/10
verdict: Oblivion is pure, unrelenting role-playing bliss. Despite Radiant AI not living up to its hyped expectations, the rest of the game does - in amazing style.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=36074

edit: horrible writing

"When the holy men of my homeland of High Rock told me that people of the Atronach sign were warded from magic by the Nine, I had laughed and made fun of their baldness. Sufficed to say, to this day I find it hard to find a priest who has yet to hear of my uncouth blasphemy"

?

GamesRadar: 10/10

pros: character and geographic freedom, never a dull moment, startling amount of content
cons: End-game frustration for stealth folks, beastly powerful system required, say goodbye to everything else

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/pc/gam...?articleId=2006032116531934065&sectionId=1000

What does it mean by "End-game frustration for stealth folks"?

I'm really concerned about my PC spec now, if it will run it or not at medium, 1024. :(

probably meaning you have to fight some sort of boss ..and being stealthy isnt going to work

do you think it's good enough to have me cancel everything this weekend, miss out on my new x360 and also miss out on the factions beta ? it's starting to sound like it, and i'll know very soon. :)

full review at Eurogamer

10/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63571

I trust eurogamer reviews ..they rarely give in to hype and rate games fairly

"Oblivion is a staggeringly ambitious game that successfully unites some of the best elements of RPG, adventure and action games and fuses them into a relentlessly immersive and intoxicating whole. If the irresistibly picturesque visuals don't draw you in, then the ability to engage in a massive, unique and above all hugely entertaining adventure ought to tip the balance for anyone doubting how good this game could be. If ever a game was worth the full asking price, Oblivion is it - to miss out on it would be tantamount to a dereliction of duty."

CptStern said:
full review at Eurogamer

10/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63571

I trust eurogamer reviews ..they rarely give in to hype and rate games fairly

"Oblivion is a staggeringly ambitious game that successfully unites some of the best elements of RPG, adventure and action games and fuses them into a relentlessly immersive and intoxicating whole. If the irresistibly picturesque visuals don't draw you in, then the ability to engage in a massive, unique and above all hugely entertaining adventure ought to tip the balance for anyone doubting how good this game could be. If ever a game was worth the full asking price, Oblivion is it - to miss out on it would be tantamount to a dereliction of duty."
wow 10!!!

Eurogamer said:
Sod the Emperor - I've got a joint to case.
:LOL:

I've bookmarked Eurogamer, they seem fairly clued up and humorous.

Back