OC 9800np to pro

Gunner

Tank
Reaction score
I found this amazing guide over at FutureMark Forums which seems to have worked for almost anyone who tried it. I want to flash the bios but he clearly says:

"Before you flash, check to see what brand of memory is on your card. Unless you have Samsung 2.2ns, 2.8ns, 3.0ns, or 3.3ns do not flash."

I have a Hercules 9800, and I don't really know what kind of ns memory it has, someone suggested to look at the black chips on the card itself but I couldn't find anything. I tried two dozen websites but they give out the usual specs.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone know the ns mem speed on a Hercules 9800?

And to all you 9800 owners: which drivers are optimized for games?

Omega??

Originally posted by )[eVo]( Para
... someone suggested to look at the black chips on the card itself but I couldn't find anything.
That's weird. It should say on the ram itself.

This is hardware, )[eVo]( Para :)

At any rate, ask on rage3d.com
They will know. I spent 10 minutes searching, couldnt find anything though. Its just a bunch of 9800 Pro questions, hehe.

Oh I completely forgot there was a Hardware forum lol how noobish of me, thanks for helping out Dawdler. But like Jeger says it should be there, I'm going to take another look : )

Ive flashed my 9800np to pro, if you have any questions lets hear it. And yes u can see the memory speed on the actual memory itself. I crapped out and got 3.3ns, but it still runs fine with the 9800Pro bios.

I'm going to shoot someone! Am I stupid? or blind? I can't see the friggin' things!

Nofriends, didn't you get any artifacts? or snow flakes in games?

I'm going to give this a try after I get a bite to eat then I will start tearing my hair out while flashing the bios. I'll keep you posted. Hope this shizzle works : )

the 9800pro bios enables a higher voltage to the core if im not mistaken, so i was able to clock it to 410+/370 without any artifacts. The only problem ive had with is was Earth and Beyond would crash randomly when opening the star map. I backed down the core and memory and it was ok again. I just recommend getting heatsinks for the memory, as they get VERY hot.

thats just to cool the GPU core, you're going to need heatsinks to cool the memory. from my experience the stock core cooling is more then enough, you just need to keep those memory blocks cool. the only difference between the 9800np and pro, is the voltage, clock/mem speeds, and the lack of memory heatsinks. If you are just going to flash it to pro status and not clock it further, then there is no need for that massive cooler. Some $20 memory heatsinks will do fine.

If it's not too much trouble could you give me a link or a product name? I don't know what they look like and what brand I need or even if they will fit on the 9800. Thank you nofriends : )

OK in the mean time I downloaded Rage 3D's tweak and OC'ed the core and mem clock up to 360/300 and got an overall increase in benchmarks, nothing too fancy, just 5% here and there maybe.

Edit: Thank you again : )

I got off to a bad start...

I bought the zalman, what a waste of cash; I couldn't get the copper heat sink off on the back of the hercules... there is no way I can get that thing off without seriously damaging the GPU. I'm so pissed. Now I'm not sure about flashing the bios if I can't install this shit.

Back