OC'ing and AMD

Tyguy

Space Core
Reaction score
My specs are in my sig, and obviously I want to overclock. I have read up on it a good amount but want to make sure that I dont mess my computer up. My main worry is the amount of voltage Im giving to my processor. I recorded the following from my Bios, and a good amount of it I dont understand.

Here are my options:

AI Overclocking - Manual
CPU FSB - 200
SB to NB Overclock - Manual
SB to Frequency - 200
Adjust PCIE Frequesncy - 100
PEG Link Mode - Auto

Over-Voltage CPU VCore - Disabled
NB VCore - Disabled
SB VCore - Disabled
HyperTransport - Disabled
DDR VCore - Auto
FID/VID Change - Manual
Processor Frequency Mulitplier - 8 changed to 10
Processor Voltage - 1.450V Range is 1.0 - 1.5625V
DDR Clock Skew - Auto
DDR Clock Skew (NOW) - Delay 300ps

This is my Hardware Monitor:

CPU Temp - 56 C (yet my LCD Temp screen says its only 40.9C)
Motherboard Temp - 43C

VCore Voltage - 1.42v
3.3 Voltage - 3.2
5V Voltage - 4.9
12V Voltage - 11.84
Q-Fan Control - Disabled

OK, I know you dont need all this info but I like to be thourough.

My main question is am I only concerned with my FSB and my Processor Voltage? I got my FSB to 260 with a increase to 1.5 Volts, Windows started, but crashed a minute later....so should I keep continuing to increase voltage and how much is too much?

And i have an LCD temp display on my pc saying my cpu temp is less than what it says in my bios, which is right?

Thanks

there is a over clocking thread that is stickied at the top of this forum topic.

Hehe to be fair, he posted in that thread 2 days ago. The only person to reply told him to make a new thread, since no one looks in there.

there is a over clocking thread that is stickied at the top of this forum topic.

Agreed. I don't think none of us (Specially Me) can advice you on OC-ing your rig, as its "Do it on your own risk" situation. I'm not sure if Halflife2.net staff/admin would even allow this. But go ahead and read on the sticky you will find lots useful hints.
To start you with a hint: I don't think your have a play area when your CPU kicking at 56 degrees and your MOBO 43 degrees, you are having overheat problem.
1.5V is already too much volt and only thing left is to fry that CPU. 260MHz FSB is way high. read the stickies man I think you headed for disaster. AS far as temp monitoring is concern BIOS is always right. Matter of fact BIOS is always right in any given matter.

Good Luck.

"1.5 volts is already too much"

/dies laughing

1.5 is perfectly safe on an amd64 with a decent heatsink. Even with the stock heatsink, as long as you had decent airflow in your case you'd probably still be fine.

56 is a touch high for an amd64 at idle though. Are you using the stock heatsink ? If so, did you apply the heatsink with the standard thermal pad, or did you use some higher quality thermal material ? What kind of airflow do you have in your case ? 2 x 120 mm etc, one exhaust, one intake etc...

With low level overclocking you can often get away with just changing the fsb and the cpu vcore, but if you want to push it then ram voltage/timings, nb voltage, HT voltage etc can come into the equation.

Of course every chip is different, however as an idea, i have an amd64 3800+ running at 2.71 (rubbish chip, won't go any higher :( !) with about 1.525 volts running through it, 32 idle, 40 load.

The most important thing to remember is to increase things in small increments. Generally speaking you'll want to increase the fsb by say 5 increments at a time, boot the pc, stress test (prime95 or whatever gets you going), rinse/repeat until the pc becomes unstable, increase the voltage an increment, stress test, etc etc.

Your best bet is googling for a dedicated amd64 overclocking guide though.

Disclaimer:

I am not to be held responsible for any fried silicon, i've tortured enough myself to need to be held responsible for others

:E

You can die on laughing, whatever turns you on is fine by me.
Most 4400+ stock vcore voltage is 1.25V-1.35v and doing it so may result you 200MHz without even changing voltage (at 1.35V), increasing volts another 10V will win you another 200MHz (If Lucky and do your math right} But I'm telling you 1.5V is high, unless what you talking about is 754 sockets. My PC is sett to turn off at 60 degrees. You prime test that sucker at 1.52V show us the result. 59 degrees won't even let you stay on for ten minutes in prime95.
I been Over-clocking for 15 years and reading about these bastards so believe me you are entitled to your own opinion.

Good Luck.

I know perfectly well how to overclock thank you, so don't get your knickers in a twist over one remark.

:thumbs:

The stock voltage on my cpu is not far off that of the 4400+, and it can handle 1.5+ V just fine. I questioned what cooling he was using due to the high temperature of 59 degrees. I agree, at that kind of temp it may not last, however with better cooling it would likely be fine. Also, some silicon will be fine to run overclocked at that temperature, it depends on the chip, so you can't make assumptions purely based on your own godlike knowledge.

:)

You know you should stop increasing the voltage when increasing it does not give you much more GHz and the temperature rises sharply. If you think you've hit this limit then just back it off a bit so you don't risk anything. The voltage 'limit' really varies from chip to chip. Every chip is different so your 4400+ might hit that 'limit' sooner than someone else with the same model.

It's best to know what you are doing and try it for yourself watching the temperatures rather than assume it's safe for your chip to run at a certain voltage. Although 1.5v on most A64 chips would be fine. I don't hear of many people going over that though. Some have fried their onboard memory controller when going too high.

I know perfectly well how to overclock thank you, so don't get your knickers in a twist over one remark.

:thumbs:

The stock voltage on my CPU is not far off that of the 4400+, and it can handle 1.5+ V just fine. I questioned what cooling he was using due to the high temperature of 59 degrees. I agree, at that kind of temp it may not last, however with better cooling it would likely be fine. Also, some silicon will be fine to run overclocked at that temperature, it depends on the chip, so you can't make assumptions purely based on your own godlike knowledge.

:)

Well, if you do know how to OC and your Vcore default is somewhere close to that 4400+, then you should know like (Asus says) that jumping from 1.35v to 1.52v will not give you more power than your CPUs headroom, matter of fact increasing just 5v to maybe 7v will give you all the power that CPU will ever give you. That's why you have to increase the rate of other "Stuff" in the mobo. And increasing vcore almost 20v will never give you the temperature you claim to have neither prime.
Look at this way; lets say you got a car that will do maximum of 100MPH, to get there (100MPH) you need fuel power, but if car reaches 100MPH no matter how much more fuel you pump into the engine that car will maybe do 100-120MPH, but you are just ruining stuff and creating more stress and heat in the engine, unnecessary wear and tear and overheat. Same in OCing.
I think in this case you're the one wetting knickers, not me. I'm trying to help a man you're the one dying for laughter.

And no, You don't know crap, when it comes to OC....That's why you can't get a decent results from your OCing task, and the rubbish chip, won't go any higher. Looking at your typing I know that you're trying to OC Asus mobo.

Good Day. I'm out of this lame topic.

well i told him to go to that thread because im positive there is loaddddds of info in that stickie

Well, if you do know how to OC and your Vcore default is somewhere close to that 4400+, then you should know like (Asus says) that jumping from 1.35v to 1.52v will not give you more power than your CPUs headroom, matter of fact increasing just 5v to maybe 7v will give you all the power that CPU will ever give you. That's why you have to increase the rate of other "Stuff" in the mobo. And increasing vcore almost 20v will never give you the temperature you claim to have neither prime.
Look at this way; lets say you got a car that will do maximum of 100MPH, to get there (100MPH) you need fuel power, but if car reaches 100MPH no matter how much more fuel you pump into the engine that car will maybe do 100-120MPH, but you are just ruining stuff and creating more stress and heat in the engine, unnecessary wear and tear and overheat. Same in OCing.
I think in this case you're the one wetting knickers, not me. I'm trying to help a man you're the one dying for laughter.

And no, You don't know crap, when it comes to OC....That's why you can't get a decent results from your OCing task, and the rubbish chip, won't go any higher. Looking at your typing I know that you're trying to OC Asus mobo.

Good Day. I'm out of this lame topic.

I never increase the vcore until i've found the ceiling at which the fsb can be raised no higher, don't assume i don't know otherwise. I don't claim to know everything, unlike your self-professed "overclocking god" self, i do however know i'm no idiot when it comes to these things.

"you don't know crap" ..

Why resort to unpleasantries rather than discuss a subject like an adult ? People like you are a tad pathetic, someone disagrees with you and rather than act in a mature manner you resort to child like put-downs. Probably not a bad thing your leaving this thread. You might even try some fresh air.

;)

i dont know why my pc is running so hot. Idle is 40 Celsius. I have a case fan as well as 2 fans in the back. 550 Watt PSU. Its not dusty at all and its ventilated....bahhhh

But the thing that annoys me the most is I was assuming my pc was cooler seeing as my display said so

i dont know why my pc is running so hot. Idle is 40 Celsius. I have a case fan as well as 2 fans in the back. 550 Watt PSU. Its not dusty at all and its ventilated....bahhhh

But the thing that annoys me the most is I was assuming my pc was cooler seeing as my display said so

OK first of all check which chip your 4400+ is running on, like Brisbane, Toledo, Etcetera, and CPU socket#, 4400+ come in both socket 939 and AM2, the chip codename, motherboard design, case ventilation, socket#, Vcore, and room temperature will play major role on your motherboards overall heat factor. To find all this except room temperature you need to download CPU-Z here http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and use this helpful little software.
The second thing is that you must be a Google friend and use Google for any information you may be dying for. When you Google all this and find all the information you can find, then you'll have the brainstorm that you need to see the view of your OCing mission, and you will know what it is you need to accomplish, and is it worth it, and how to get there. Because no matter what your OCing some one else already beat you to it, learn from others mistakes and Google others misery. Thats why you need to be regular visitor at where they (Oc-ers) Meet and must know places like www.OCforum.com , http://www.overclockersclub.com/ and http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/ and here www.halflife2.net will offer you tons and tons of info.

Every chip behaves differently when OCed, that's why Sledgehammer was the best ADM chip (IMHO), San Diego was the most popular and Clawhammer the worst chip.
Also Dual-cores tend to heat higher than single-cores, depending on the chip.
So go ahead the more you read about OCing the more you know about OCing, but turn that volts down just a notch to start with.
Also, check and always visit BIOS at every boot while in OCing procedure, to double-checking settings and CPU temp. BIOS will post true Idle CPU Temp B4 you even boot OS.
Remember BIOS is always right...never ignore than, If temperature is 56 degrees while OS isn't even booted, don't boot system, instead find out why, because boot sequence will definitely exceed Temp much higher.

40 Degrees idle is OK for Dual-cores, 56 degrees is what I was concern about. lol.

Good Luck.

I don't like to OC my beast much, considering it won't be much of a gain at all in comparison to my luck + bad stuff CAN happen = blown board :(

I don't like to OC my beast much, considering it won't be much of a gain at all in comparison to my luck + bad stuff CAN happen = blown board :(

Me neither, that's why I do moderate Ocing on both of my systems about 200MHz or so.
kicking it for 200Mhz maybe 250MHz doesn't need much configurations, Time settings, Cooling, you don't have to wait for a month to get it right, Temp will not change much, not much volts, you basically increase FSB and relax FSB Multiplier and memory timings, that's basically all.

You can check my System Spec in my Sig to see. lol

Idd, if you are just after a moderate overclock then there is very little to worry about. As Barney states, you can often get 200-250mhz with very little changes. Every chip i've owned obtained those kind of speed increases with no changes other than the fsb, and this can often be the case, although everyones experiences will differ. If you just want a small overclock but want to retain peace of mind then it can be a good route to take.

I can get 250 FSB without changing the voltages, and ill be honest, I am perfectly content with a moderate overclock. Now, will running my chip at 250 without changing voltages dramatically decrease the life span of the chip or is it ok?

I have read alot of about this, I basically spent a week researching stuff before I even touched anything in the BIOS, but I like to know EVERYTHING and if im unsure about something I wont take a risk.

When you say change the VCore, is that different from my processor voltage as listed in the BIOS, or is that the same thing? I have 5 different Vcore options and I don't want to do anything without being sure. As far as ram goes, i have 2 gig DDR 3200....good, bad?

The Vcore is the voltage supplied to the CPU. Higher rated ram is usually preferential when overclocking, due to the headroom that it allows, however it is possible to use a memory divider to keep the ram running within its rated speed, or to loosen the timings, or if necessary increase the voltage supplied to the ram. 250 fsb with no voltage changes sounds pretty high, and would also mean that your ddr 400 was running at 500mhz, which i'd be a little surprised at !! What multiplier is your cpu running at, and what speed ?

It could be possible that the ddr divider option is set to auto, and as the ram would be running outside its tolerances it automatically reduced the divider. Just ideas though, may well be something completely different !

As long as the temperature of the cpu isn't too high, there is no reason why the lifespan of the chip should be reduced dramatically. If you worried you can always invest in a better hsf.

mulitplier is at 10 and i did actually get 250 without changing my voltage. I didnt really notice a significant performance jump though, so I put it back to default, 200.

Should the multiplier of that chip not be at 11 x ? The stock speed of a 4400+ is 2.2, which with a stock fsb of 200:

11 x 200 = 2200

So with a fsb of 250 you should have been getting 2500. You should change the multiplier to the default of 11 x, then if you wish, proceed from there.

What exactly does the multiplier do besides the obvious

Figured as much, but thanks for the face barney

Figured as much, but thanks for the face barney

Lol man, I command you to read and research about OCing, its whole lots of fun.
I started OCing on 754s and its a whole lots of fun man. If you're just getting into it.
I would like you to go and visit places where OCers meet, you could learn a lot.
The reason why I'm making faces is that none of us can explain the whole routine of OCing procure, right here right now.
If you don't know what Front-Side Bus Multiplier does, you've got lot to learn. OCing is not something you would risk you investment, if you don't know or not sure what you're doing.

Try this page its got most, if not all the tutorial you need to get head-start. http://www.diy-street.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99 There are also lots beginners there who need help stabling system so you'll have fun.

Note: These OC were done mostly on DFI boards not Asus so settings may be different.

Good Luck.

My main problem is heat, as well as trying to change my vcore voltages. If I take it off auto, it gives me a listing of voltages without telling me what it is set to, so its basically like taking a shot in the dark....

i decided to reinstall XP, start fresh, and maybe buy a new heatsink

choose 1.35v in the BIOS, reboot and b4 OS loads check voltage and heat of the CPU in the hardware monitor section in the BIOS.

Good Luck.

I have a minor issue with OCing that I'm just gonna stick in this thread for now.

Here's the situation:

I have an A64 3700+ on a DFI NF4 Ultra-infinity board

I've set the Bus speed to 245Mhz, multiplier is at 11x
RAM is at 166 (which turns into 190-something) so that it doesn't go higher than 200MHz as it's only DDR400...
Adjusted so that HT link is not going over 1000Mhz...
I upped the vcore voltage just a tiny bit too.

So once in a while I check up on things in CPU-Z and for some reason the Bus speed seems to just magically lower itself 2-3MHz. This has only happened once or twice, I think restarting fixes it...just not sure what's going on :\

The last two digits of CPU frequency does fluctuate in CPU-Z. As long system maintains stability don't worry about 2 or 3MHz.
I think its either CPU-Z miscoding or Voltage either way don't sweat it.

Good Luck.

Back