Of IOS, Unreal Engine 3, Ipad2/Iphone5's dual core processor and unity..

soulslicer

Tank
Reaction score
This year is going to be a great year for IOS gaming, considering the number of games gameloft are planning to port onto the Ios that runs on UE3..and with the new dual core processor of the ipad 2 or iphone 5..im sure it'll handle it with ease..

Here is an interesting article on how the brought UE3 to Ios.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20000214-248.html
SAN FRANCISCO--Getting one of the most advanced 3D game engines onto the iPhone has not been an easy task for Epic Games. But they're close to getting into the hands of developers, and gamers alike.

Another big problem Epic ran into was with textures; 98 percent of UE3's textures are compressed using a DXT, a compression codec that Apple does not support. This, combined with the aforementioned processing bottlenecks, have led to some major simplification in the quality of textures that can be displayed, or even processed while the game is running.
Epic's solution was to simply flatten the textures out and compensate for the lack of some of the 3D elements with lighting effects. Though even there, things had to be tweaked considerably. The iPhone version of the UE3 engine will simply use one or two lights, then effectively clone them throughout a level. Adams said that the effect is good enough on the small screen that players should barely notice it.

and an article on how devs are planning for the new iDevices and their processor boost..
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20039521-37.html
Speaking to CNET last week, Unity co-founder and Chief Creative Officer Nicholas Francis said his company plans to make changes to the engine to enable it to do new things on the second-generation hardware and that the speed bump was welcomed.
(Credit: Unity)
"It's really nice Apple put in a faster GPU because the iPad had a very large screen, but the same GPU as the iPhone 3GS. So the iPad had a lot more pixels to pull, but developers had a lot less horsepower to pull per pixel," he said. "Unity already takes advantage of multiple cores within a system. So we'll need to go in and really fine tune and really optimize it to run fantastic on the iPad."
Francis said that the graphics boost means iOS developers will be able to bring over a handful of additional effects available on PC and console gaming, and that they'll be able to do it with the company's tool.
"Unity's always been really extensible. You use the same shaders on the iPad as you do for the PlayStation 3, so we have to sit down and say 'OK, how do we really do we really tweak it and bend it to make sure all our users have all those resources?'"
Those effects could include shafts of light coming from between tree branches and through windows, as well as real-time shadows, giving games and landscape rendering applications more realism. "Essentially it means that a lot of the stuff that was developed for consoles will now run on the iPad," Francis said.
One of the other big players that's come into Apple's corner within just the past year has been Epic Games, the makers of the Unreal Engine. While Unreal can be found in a large number of PC games, it didn't show up in iOS games in earnest until Epic Citadel, a technology demo of the Unreal Engine for iOS shown off at the unveiling of the iPhone 4. This was later followed up by Infinity Blade, which the company released at the end of last year and has gone on to become one of the top grossing games on the App Store and the primary example game in Apple's iPad 2 marketing materials.

I'm sorry but I've played Sonic 4 on the iPhone and it was really awkward to control on the touchscreen and it only had one button and directional controls. I can't imagine being able to play Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, UT or anything else that requires any kind of complex controls on it no matter how well it runs, the control input is just not suitable for any games that aren't extremely simple.

I'm sorry but I've played Sonic 4 on the iPhone and it was really awkward to control on the touchscreen and it only had one button and directional controls. I can't imagine being able to play Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, UT or anything else that requires any kind of complex controls on it no matter how well it runs, the control input is just not suitable for any games that aren't extremely simple.

Exactly my thought, basically any game where you directly control your character works like shit on a touchscreen.

Even games that don't involve controlling a character sometimes play like shit on a touchhscreen. It's infuriating.

Back