Oh Crap.

Crap. I'm pretty sure that I've got version 1... are there any 8800GT made for PCI x16?

EDIT: Okay, I'm seeing conflicting information... if I have a PCI Express v2.0 card, and a PCI Express v1.0 motherboard, will it work?

EDIT: Okay, I think I'm good... nevermind. It seems that everything is backwards compatible. I'd hope so too, since PCIe v2.0 motherboards are freakin expensive.

Yeah I saw that... but there's no reference for that, and I read in several other places that everything fully backwards compatible - the same way it was when it went from AGP 2x/4x to 4x/8x. So obviously it won't run as fast because it just doesn't have the same bandwidth, but it should work. Which is nice, because when I finally upgrade the rest of my computer in a year or so, the video card will get a nice kick in the pants without having to do anything.

PCI 2.0 cards will work on PCI-E 16x slots.

So obviously it won't run as fast because it just doesn't have the same bandwidth, but it should work. Which is nice, because when I finally upgrade the rest of my computer in a year or so, the video card will get a nice kick in the pants without having to do anything.
These cards are saturating the current pcie bus? I don't think an increase in bandwidth is going increase performance. I can't recall any cards out now that can use all the bandwidth that pcie 1.x has, how will throwing more at it increase anything? Other than maybe a few select synthetic benchmarks.

Yeah I saw that... but there's no reference for that, and I read in several other places that everything fully backwards compatible - the same way it was when it went from AGP 2x/4x to 4x/8x. So obviously it won't run as fast because it just doesn't have the same bandwidth, but it should work. Which is nice, because when I finally upgrade the rest of my computer in a year or so, the video card will get a nice kick in the pants without having to do anything.
I'm pretty sure this is the case. ;)
Usually when something is labeled as backward compatible means it will work but without new features.

And as far as how PCI-Express is built, a 1x card and be plugged into a long 16x slot and work fine. So I don't see why a regular 16x card can't work in a 2.0 slot. As long as the voltage to the slot is the same and the slot is keyed the same way.

In case you are worried, that 8800GT will work fine on any motherboard with PCI-E 16x slots. I'm running a BFG 8800GT on a Asus Striker in my new build, not a problem. I'm not sure if there are 2.0 supported mobos out yet, but I read they supply all the necessary voltage through the actual slot (no need for the 6 pin PCI-E connector, heh) But...yeah you'll be fine, great card too! :D

Back