Ok here is my (most likely already thought up) theory about the whole MP situation

Soundwave

Reaction score
Ok, I wouldn't be suprised if someone already posted this. If so, my apologies. I'm currently in a state of perpetual excitement thanks to E3. I have a feeling others have already realized this, but just in case, here goes. Feel free to delete it mods.

So basically, as people here remember, Gabe said Half-Life 2 would be releasing in 3 versions. One would be SP only, another SP + MP, and the last would be the Collector's Edition.

My thoughts on this is that reason they have put both an SP as well as an SP+MP combo package is because the MP is all of the Source versions of the HL1 stuff. I know people have already speculated that the Source versions will be the only Hl2 MP, but it seems like some people were having confusion as to when Counter-Strike Source and the others would actually release. Gabe said himself they would release at the same time as HL2, so having them bundled in as the MP makes sense. To me at least. Bleh I'm rambling now, you guys get what I mean? People have probably already brought it up but oh well.

Please. Post It In One Of The 900 Threads Already Made.

or perhaps they are going to include all the remakes (mods + Hl1 in source) in the special edition.

That sounds very plausible to me, one of the most sensible theories yet. I can imagine around $40 for the base game, maybe with HL2 deathmatch. Then the other version with all the HL1 stuff would cost around $60+, sounds pretty reasonable to me. I honestly don't think many people will pay a whole lot of money for graphically updated versions of free games, but this is a good way to bundle them in.

smwScott said:
I honestly don't think many people will pay a whole lot of money for graphically updated versions of free games, but this is a good way to bundle them in.

Yup, that's what got me thinking this in the first place. Valve probably knows not everyone would be interested in those mods being updated, newcomers to the series probably couldn't care less for example so they offer a version without them (the SP only release)

i think they will have to charge very little if anyhting because as much as i want to be playing those old games with the physics and graphics there shall be so much more to do with mds and HL2 itself that there would be no point revisiting them. Frnakly i like they are H it'll be nice to be able to play the entire series the day before i get HL2 and then rock in HL2 and be a total Half Life Psycho.

What's awesome is it's not just the MP mods that are gonna be put into Source, it's Half-Life 1 and both of it's expansion packs as well. So we are basically getting the entire Half-Life series in Source when Hl2 comes out.

But how that will help i don't understand, it's only things like materials that will change right? there was never enough detritus lying around for physics to be that impressive, it would just look nice, i'm sure with a little fiddling you could do all that yourself...they will have to add something special for it to be worth doing.

You don't consider a complete graphics overhaul a change? Imagine the opening of Half-Life 1, the tram ride...but with Half-Life 2 graphics. That alone makes it worth it. But the whole game will look like that, plus the physics and all the other stuff that comes with Source. Notice in the CS Source video they added barrels, they probably added quite a few random objects and the like to take advantage of the move to Source.

Back