Ok, I need some serious help with my Graphics card and issues with my games

dream431ca

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Radeon X850 XT. It runs most of my games unbelievebly fantastic.....but there are some major issues:

Half-life 2 freezes...It never used to freeze before with my 9800 Pro. I got the X850 XT 2 days ago. The problems only showed up today. I don't know why it's happening, I tried to install older Catalyst drivers and it still freezes. I have a theory that it has to do with the sound. To my knowledge, the game freezes at certain points:

1. When the G-man is finished talking with you at the start and screen turns white. It freezes there.

2. It also freezes when Alyx saves you from the combine soldiers. Again the screen turns white and the game freezes.

I know it freezes because the sound is like stuck in a loop at those points, playing the same sound over and over again. I have all my settings to the Max, Full Antialising, full filtering, Everything up to the Max. It runs spectacular when it's actually running and not freezing. :x

Doom 3 is awesome. No freezing or nothing. It runs perfectly.

Battlefield 2 has a sound issue. After around 10 seconds into a battle the sound of the gun is gone. You can here the bullets here the ground, you just can't here the gun. (you're characters gun).

Half-life 2 and Battlefield 2 are the only games that are having trouble with the new graphics card. Anyone have the same problem? If anybody could give me something to try I would really appreciate it. Thanks. :thumbs:

yeah, video card shouldn't have anything to do with sound problems...

Ennui said:
yeah, video card shouldn't have anything to do with sound problems...

I said.. I had a theory that it might be the sound. I never heard of case where sound freezed a game.

I used to get the GMan talking freeze right after I built my new rig. Might be something to do with the sound cache, like it's not fully cached.

But I have no idea why it could be happening on yours.

dream431ca said:
I said.. I had a theory that it might be the sound. I never heard of case where sound freezed a game.

It can, actually.

I installed the latest drivers for my soundcard which is an Audigy 2 ZS, and no difference. Still freezes...any other suggestions?

I know it freezes because the sound is like stuck in a loop at those points, playing the same sound over and over again. I have all my settings to the Max, Full Antialising, full filtering, Everything up to the Max. It runs spectacular when it's actually running and not freezing.
Actually usually the sound loops when graphics are lagging.
I've noticed taht whe I turn my settings to high, and my fps drops something the sound will loop and act weird.

Try turning AA down and testing it out things like that.
Update your gfx card drivers to.

Yep man, had same problem not too long ago(3 days ago actually lol), but yes all the same, what you want to try to do is in game audio settings turn the quality of sound to Medium, then go to video settings and advanced video settings and put Shaders and Shadows to LOW (Visual Impact is barely noticable anyway), that cleared up Looping and stuttering in all for me, also what you want to do is open up steam manually, log in, then to go play games, and right click HalfLife2 and go to properties and then launch options, in the little message box type in "-heapsize xxx000" where xxx is half the RAM you have on your computer. So if you have 1Gb of RAM put in 512000, without quotes btw lol. That should clear up or help clear up the looping and stuttering issues if you have any.

-Gl hf Hl2 = Great :)

Half life 2 has 64Mb heapsize default, that's why you want to put it half your ram, hope this helps.

Back