Ok I'm confused of the hl2 stress test

Nex321

Reaction score
Allright, I'm the one that laughed at my system for getting such a low fps in the test.

I have:

9700 non PRO (OCed to 315 core and 300 memory, almost the same as PRO)
3.06 Ghz
512 Mb RAM

With that system I got 21.5 with highest settings with 4 AA and 8 AF and Reflect World. Now I finally found a benchmark that has the same card as I have(well almost). Here's the site: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/half-life2_vst/page8.asp

They're claiming that they got 44 fps at the same setting as I used. May I ask did I miss something?? Can anyone explain me this? Now this is not a such a big deal because I'm getting x800 xt soon but the question is can I trust those scores that it got from x800 xt?

put the res down to 1024x768 and take off AA and AF.
Should do the trick. If those were already off, then I don't know...

benchmarks are different every time you run them, even if you have the same settings (and just because youve clocked your card to nearly the same as a pro, doesnt make it nearly as good as the pro). its been said a zillion times, but if you havnt got a high end pc (you havnt) turn all AA and AF off, and imo you'll probably get about 40/50 fps, and you'll barely be able to see the difference in image quality.

Well that is a high end PC.

Just take turn down AA and AF

^Ben said:
Well that is a high end PC.

Just take turn down AA and AF

actually its very mid range, he just has an 'alright' processor.

radeon 9700's and 512 ram just doesnt cut it anymore.

Dr0ndeh said:

You must have really high standards in hardware, because I see a high-end system. Not the best money can buy, but very powerful regardless. Especially compared to what most people have.

AMD Athlon 64 3800+

ASUS K8V Deluxe

1GB OCZ PC3200 EL Platinum Rev2

That is their setup...I think that explains much. :D

i meant that his processor is ok, but his other componants just bring it down, thats all. as all computers go, yes its very high end. as gaming pc's go, its very mid range.

Throw an x800 or 6800 ultra and another 512 ram stick and you have high end again. Definatly not mid range lol

knowing exactly what processor he has would help as well. for all we know it might be a 3.06 celeron processor.

yeah the vst is wierd, I get 17fps average on a (3ghz 2 gig ram and 9800pro machine) yet if I go into the playable version of the map I get 60+

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 9700 short 4 pipelines in comparison to the 9700 pro? That would be the cause if that's true.

no the 9700 none pro has 8 pipes and is equipped with 256-bit memory... the problem is probably the processor if it is a celeron...

9700 is just clocked a little lower as far as I know.
The system the benchmarks were ran under make a big difference. The graphics card is the same but everything else is different. Can't compare.

I have a 9700 pro, a 1.7 gig amd processor, and 768 mb ram, im running 1024x768 full detail, except no AA (it takes a large bite out of my fps) i get 50 on the stress, and 45-60 ingame, with AA i get around 29 on the stress, 30-45 ingame.

lol i would consider my PC a "mid range" pc a lot more than that

2.0ghz AMD XP 2400+
1 gig pc2700 333mhz
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 (ICEQ)

i'm guessing it'll probably play hl2 pretty good at 1024x768 no aa, or af with everything on max

My proccessor is P4 not celeron.

Anyway, I'm going to buy x800 xt and 1 gig of corsair xms ram. One question, only with Athlon 3800+ should I really get much higher fps than if I use my 3.06 Ghz P4? I wanted to upgrade my proccessor when atleast 4 Ghz is out or a Athlon64 4000+ is out. You think if I upgrade to 3800+ it'll give me much more fps?

Btw with current settings I get 76 fps with no AA and AF, but thats not the point. I just can't belive that they got more then double fps with their setting using almost the same card.

eh, get your x800 and ram run the bench watch your fps go sky high and be happy. Very very happy. Don't worry about upgrading the cpu for a while heh

killahsin-[CE] said:
eh, get your x800 and ram run the bench watch your fps go sky high and be happy. Very very happy. Don't worry about upgrading the cpu for a while heh

lol thank you, thats what I wanted to hear :)

I feel like I'll waste my money if I buy the latest athlon now since I have 3.06 Ghz.

btw just saw the latest corsair xms, its called xms 2 and DDR 2 and running at 660 Mhz. May I ask if thats good to get? Its quite expensive but will it perform like 2 GB RAM?

I'm new to this RAM thing

Is there anywhere to download this stress test?

Or is it just another part of valves isollation of the section of the community who refuse to buy CZ.

Hey, way to encourage me to download the leak.

lol it's a beta and not released product.
Just be glad it isn't a closed beta and you have a legit way to get into the beta. :\

Or you could just wait and get a product without the bugs. :p

I know, because its not like they can release the game which is already a year late then patch it while were playing it.

oh wait

THEY CAN!!!

Release.

The.

GAME!!!

Dr0ndeh said:

100% right

9800xt or 5950 ultra
1 gig ddr dual channel
3.4 ht

Thats a high end pc.

6800 ultra or x800 xt
2 gigs ddr dual channel
3.6 ht

Thats a extreme system.

Its def not midrange.

But back to the benchmarking. I saw a recent posting of benchmarks on some website, They placed my card 20 fps below what i get on full settings.

I get 55-60 fps, on my....
Athlon64 3000+ OCed to 3200.
1 gig kingston 2700 ram. accidently bought 2700 instead of 3200
Geforce 5900xt OC a tad.
on board 8 channel sound
2 80 gig SATA 7200s, in Raid 0

Whats that system in your eyes? its certainly not what u call a high end.

But i, and everyone i know finds it high end.

My system specs r:

P4 2.6 ghz
512 megs ram
GeForce FX 5200

can someone with a similar system and access to CS:S tell me what you got on the benchmark?

I hope i didn't highjack this thread...

Raziel-Jcd said:
100% right

9800xt or 5950 ultra
1 gig ddr dual channel
3.4 ht

Thats a high end pc.

6800 ultra or x800 xt
2 gigs ddr dual channel
3.6 ht

Thats a extreme system.

im glad somebody knows what theyre talking about round here.

Bunch o geeky snobs

There are magazines with big pictures of cars with bodykits and fat exhausts I'm sure you will be much more interested in.
They are next to the wank mags.

not at all, my pc is very midrange, im just not deluding myself by thinking i can run hl2 in high res with all the bells and whistles turned upto the max.

That CPU is 133 fsb I think. A 3.0c (200fsb) would destroy it, let's not even bother comparing it to an A64.

ddr2 is not somthing you want right now since your mobo wont run it. Go with normal dual ddr corsair twin xms memory 1 gig and a x800pro or 6800gt but either way your frames will become what they are now without aa/af with aa/af. As well as one step up in resolution to 1280x1024 and even at 16x12 you will have more than you do currently at 1024x768 with aa/af.

So regardless you will be very happy.

x800 pro is not worth it so I'm getting x800 xt. Seems like I'll be upgrading my motherboard too since the current one has only x4 AGP.

Serp, it says that my fsb is 512....

Ahh than your fine but dont get ddr2 unless you get a ddr2 specific motherboard which there arent to many of right now. I would stick to dual ddr for the meantime and yes the x800xt would be much nicer.

killahsin-[CE] said:
Ahh than your fine but dont get ddr2 unless you get a ddr2 specific motherboard which there arent to many of right now. I would stick to dual ddr for the meantime and yes the x800xt would be much nicer.

Yes, I see that they're expensive too :), I'll get the regular xms(the cheaper ones)

urseus said:
I know, because its not like they can release the game which is already a year late then patch it while were playing it.

oh wait

THEY CAN!!!

Release.

The.

GAME!!!

This is the same kind of idiot who will bitch how buggy HL2 is.

Demonmerc said:

I don't think HL2 will be buggy.

My GeForce MX440 will be causing all the bugs :O

Demonmerc said:

I sure am. Then, after submitting a bug report, the bug is corrected and half an hour later it is patched.

How simple is that? Frankly, id say thousands of players playing and submitting bug reports would give you a better indication of problems than a few kids who come in to play it.

From what i understand, most of the content was reasonably finished a long time ago, and they were mostly changing the MP content so that the cheats who got the leak couldnt get a head start. Jesus christ. The second that they become aware of a hack, they can patch and update it that day. All the hard work of some hacker spending days on a cheat is for nothing, because valve can update the game in half an hour.

By not releasing last year on time they lost the wow factor. Instead of being the biggest and most impressive game release in history, HL2 is just another good game that is coming out this year.

Back