Old Barney Is Frustrated!!!

Reaction score
My daughter's system, which is based on 754 LP UT 250GB is been acting up; mostly because of shareware, and God knows what.
OK, yesterday I found the time to reinstall XP Home, and when I tried to setup her wireless NIC, all USB ports refused to cooperate "USB Device Not Recognized" and the device will show in the DevMngr as an "Unknown Device." No matter what, this will happen any time I connect a device to any one of the USB ports. Freaking frustrating! All devices, including her digital camera, flashcard, her KB and Mouse. Anything, which uses USB connection will not be recognized.
I have tried everything from Flashing BIOS, Unplugging system, Removing CMOS battery, configuring/reconfiguring, leaving BIOS at default, inserting adapter (Linksys WUSB300N) without the extension cord, Etc. Inserting adapter into my main system is fine and will be recognized without a driver,
I'm fresh out of ideas. BTW I did Google this to death, even went to MS Knowledge Base; all in vain.

I have helped you all since 2004, now its my turn so, cough it up: What you got.

DFI LP UT NF3 250GB (I think BIOS is 502) (Default)
2x2GB Corsair TwinX PC2700 (Stock)
754 Clowhammer 2.4Ghz (Stock)
BFG 6800 Ultra (AGP) (Stock)
Ocz GameXtreme 700w

Thanks In Advance.

Does this wireless USB adapter need 2.0?
Does XP home have SP1 installed yet? <-first thing to try

Obviously it isn't a specific driver for the wireless USB adapter that your PC needs since you said all other devices do not work either.
Any hardware (device manager) not installed yet?

Maybe bring it to a room for wired internet and update. Then try getting the wireless to work again.

Does this wireless USB adapter need 2.0?
Does XP home have SP1 installed yet? <-first thing to try

Obviously it isn't a specific driver for the wireless USB adapter that your PC needs since you said all other devices do not work either.
Any hardware (device manager) not installed yet?

Maybe bring it to a room for wired internet and update. Then try getting the wireless to work again.

Thanks for the reply Asus.
LP UT do support both 1.1 and 2.0... I hardwired and updated OS to SP3 (After I gave up on USB) Nothing.

After getting tired of waiting for an answer, here and elsewhere, and after my daughter nagged me to death; I switched connection: I took the modem upstairs (Luckily there is a Aux connection next to where her computer sits,) then connected adapter to my system downstairs. I'm loosing a lot on the upload, but nothing noticeable on the DL.
I'm devoted SP so, I'm not really missing much, and uploading files for work does not need much bandwidth. I will periodically check her USB to see if they decided to work, and she also has a laptop for her school stuff.
What I don't understand is: Why all USB ports decided to go down?
I have rooted out all the usual suspects:
I updated OS completely; Nothing. ,
I then formatted HDD and clean install; Nothing.
Switched HDD and installed OS on another HDD; Nothing.
I have downloaded USB 2.0 driver from DFI; Nothing.
So, to answer my own question: Its got to be a hardware issue. Because, if it is a driver, or IRQ conflict (Which I doubt on newer systems) then re-installment usually takes care of that. I did not assign or reserve any IRQ to anything; I let BIOS take care of that. So I don't even think that is the problem, its got to be the USB controller going ajaaja.

Thanks again, problem is solved....Sort of.

its got to be the USB controller going ajaaja.

Thanks again, problem is solved....Sort of.
That sucks...

I had an issue a while back where my RJ45 port on my PC stopped working for apparently no reason. Had a second one onboard so I used that one for a bit (same chip). Then that stopped working so I installed a separate NIC.
The only thing I did recently was move my PC to a different spot on the carpet. Only later did I get around to putting the PC on a wooden board to keep it up off the floor. Then those ports started working again. Go figure.

A carpet has magical ways of conducting electricity. Like combing your hair, then putting comb close to your arm hair; carpets will interfere with motherboard electrical circuit somehow.
My problem isn't that though . The computer sits on a workstation, away from any lint. I even dusted the MB to root out the possibilities of a thread of hair (Since my daughter's hair can be found everywhere) causing BUS to short-circuit.
I'm like a dude in a dark room with a pistol trying to kill a bird; I'm shooting blind.

Oh Well. Problem is half solved. I got my connection, my wife doesn't care, and my daughter isn't nagging me for now... Piece of cake!!! :rolling:

Back