Only 1 weapon at a time?

N

Nutwhack

Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so here we go.

I was watching the demo and it seems like everytime gordon wants to switch weapons he has to throw his current one down. This doesn't seem to include secondary weapons (pistol) or grenades, only primary weapons.

So, has it been revealed that Gordon will only be able to carry one weapon at a time, or was that just for effect? Any comments would be appreciated.

I hope not. I never really liked that idea.

Gabe has confirmed that you will be allowed to have multiple weapons, not sure why the demo was like that.

Old Footage+They said they were testing the weapons system. They said it took away the fun from the game so they got rid of the idea.

oh god...I really doubt it. My guess (and I really think it's right): Primary (shotgun, m4ish type gun, rocket launcher), Secondary (Pistol), Nades, and Crowbar...

only one of each. But who knows..

Originally posted by Baal
oh god...I really doubt it. My guess (and I really think it's right): Primary (shotgun, m4ish type gun, rocket launcher), Secondary (Pistol), Nades, and Crowbar...

only one of each. But who knows..
No, it has been confirmed many times this is not the case.

I quite liked the weapon system in Halo, I thought it added to the gameplay.

Can't see why it wouldn't work in HL2, but then again, you're fighting enemies that don't carry weapons sometime :S

Apparently it's the exact same system as HL1, I think it's in the Valve info thread...

Probably about the same as in HL1, if you watch the E3 movie, it appears to be like that.

Yep, they really shouldn't have tried to mess with the weapons inventory system, it was absolutely perfect in HL1.

I was just gonna say, like Mother, think the Halo weapon system would work well and would for any FPS.

Originally posted by The Terminator
I was just gonna say, like Mother, think the Halo weapon system would work well and would for any FPS.
The Halo system is funky... I never really saw the point... it's not like you can't still use 'tactics' when you have more than two weapons...

Gordon is already wearing a 100+ pound suit, why not add 100+ more with like 17 weapons!

It will be the same weapon system as in HL1.
Having to throw a weapon to pick another adds realism, but I think it's less fun.

Gordon is already wearing a 100+ pound suit, why not add 100+ more with like 17 weapons!

you don't know how much the HEV suit weighs. Gabe said Gordon weighed only 85kg with the suit on, so it can't be that heavy. It's probably made out of some futuristic alloy or something lol

Originally posted by FoB_Ed
you don't know how much the HEV suit weighs. Gabe said Gordon weighed only 85kg with the suit on, so it can't be that heavy. It's probably made out of some futuristic alloy or something lol

85kg = 200 pounds

gordon seems to be of a normal stature so he could be maybe 190 or something the suit would obviously be heavier than him, unless its made out of some weird arse material.

i think in multiplayer, only being able to hold two main weapons would be kinda funky :bounce:

The idea of only carrying one or two guns would be very good for a mod,
but a big chunk of the strategy in HL1 involved having a lot of guns at your disposal, and choosing the best ones for each situation.

Plus, the weapon-drop system would add more buttons to the controls. Half-Life was also fun because of the simplicity.

Never played anything where you were limited to only one primary. I'd like to try it, it would seem fun.

Jurassic Park: Tresspasser was like that. Boy, that game sucked.

A Deus Ex style inventory would be cool, where you can carry more than one weapon but you can't carry everything.

Originally posted by pHATE1982
Apparently it's the exact same system as HL1, I think it's in the Valve info thread...
I'm thinking that too. It's the best weapon system in any FPS IMHO, so why change it? :)

ehem CS only lets you carry 1 primary and it's only the most popular online fps ever... wouldn't work very well for single player tho

I've always liked the idea of have 2 main weapons (e.g Spas-12 and HK SMG) a pistol and 1 or 2 types of grenades. Just like Call of Duty or Halo. Either way, limited weapons or not, Half-life 2 will still be an enjoyable game :)

I can see that nobody paid as close attention to the videos as I have, vwweehehehe!! :D NOTE:

In the movies, every once in a while when the player changes the weapon, you can see at the top center of the screen five brackets for holding weapons. I would guess that if there was any sort of transfer system, you would be able to hold at least five weapons at a time.

However, I completely doubt they kept the switch-it-up Halo way of doing things, and opted for HL1 style.

Originally posted by DaveKap
I can see that nobody paid as close attention to the videos as I have, vwweehehehe!! :D

yes, I did :p
but this system is from months ago, so maybe they changed it (or not)
I hope that it's the HL1 system

Originally posted by No Limit
No, it has been confirmed many times this is not the case.

No, Gabe has mentioned that they have been testing different inventory systems, and hadn't come to a conclusion on which was best yet. So basically, we don't know what to expect yet...

I think that was a good idea to have a limited system , adds more realism.

but Half life 1 wasnt about realism either, so why would they change that in HL 2?

I think that though some hardcore freaks like us may find it a nice idea, most avarage users won't. And well, maybe it just isn't fun playing... but that's something we haven't experienced yet...

Back