OS Customization Thread

VirusType2

Reaction score
I've been using some interesting and awesome modifications for Windows XP. I figured I would list and describe them for anyone who might benefit.,

Why not mention some tweaks or changes you have made to whatever OS you use?

- I've installed a free Vista Icon set, that changes all of the XP icons to Vista ones - even the exe icons for things like Notepad. Not only that, but it changes the animated icons, and changes the windows where necessary to accommodate the often larger icons. It looks fantastic, and works perfectly.

Mind you, this is still XP. So none of the advantages or disadvantages of the Vista OS are included. It doesn't seem to affect performance at all, though I'm sure some of the icons use a little more RAM - for example, some windows icons were just 16 colors or less, and now they are like 256 colors. The extra memory use is probably quite insignificant, especially since most any modern computer can run the good old XP quite easily.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=VIPv3+(icon+pack).exe&btnG=Google+Search
INSTALL THIS ICON PACK IN SAFE MODE. Hold F8 when you boot your computer to select safe mode. Be patient for it to install, it takes about 20 minutes.

- Another thing I use is Tweak UI. This is software from MS's website that allows you to make changes to Windows XP that weren't previously possible without registry tampering. For example, you can change the size and quality of thumbnails to your preference.

Tweak UI and other powertoys available from microsoft.com:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

- Oh, one more thing that's quite cool. I installed Windows Vista Aero mouse cursors and animated mouse cursors.

should easily find a set here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=windows+vista+aero+mouse+cursor+pack&btnG=Search

I tried the aero style side bar, translucent task bar, and Vista style tooltip windows, and didn't care for them personally, but they seemed to work fine.

so what other cool stuff that you guys use is out there? huh huh?

I did the opposite and removed unnecessary bg services and bullshit, while leaving everything looking pretty!!

I manually tweaked what I could on my laptop for vista, I'm now running FEAR, STALKER and shit on med settings!!!!

Not bad for a 320 quid laptop!!! I am going to install XP at some point and streamline that to ****!!!
(will be better for my music software etc)

oh, i've removed tons of stuff too. In fact I use custom, classic windows style themes.

but god, i was so tired of the XP icons.

Christ if I saw one more 16 color manila folder I would stab myself in the eye.

yeah, i put XP on my laptop and the performance increase is astounding. I expected it to be faster, but shit. It's balls out.

be prepared for possibly a lot of frustration getting drivers for things like LAN and audio working though, just to warn you.

Next thing I'm changing is the super weak Welcome screen. I hate baby blue. DEATH TO IT.

oh, i've removed tons of stuff too. In fact I use custom, classic windows style themes.

but god, i was so tired of the XP icons.

Christ if I saw one more 16 color manila folder I would stab myself in the eye.

yeah, i put XP on my laptop and the performance increase is astounding. I expected it to be faster, but shit. It's balls out.

be prepared for possibly a lot of frustration getting drivers for things like LAN and audio working though, just to warn you.

Next thing I'm changing is the super weak Welcome screen. I hate baby blue. DEATH TO IT.

QFFT.

When I switch over to XP I'll be sure to do the same as you!!

Well, I use Vista so can't really comment on XP customization. I have however replaced all Desktop shortcuts with the fantastic Rocketdock, and downloaded high resolution icons so it all zooms nicely. The dock used on Macs was my favourite feature of them, but now that I have it on my PC Apple can f*** right off.

I use object dock. It is superior to rocketdock.

I used Stardock's stuff for a while too. They can make the OS look pretty ace.

Is there a way to get windows to rotate through different wallpaper images every once in awhile without manually doing it?

I use object dock.

I like this, thanks.

I've got 6 hard drives, and it's not as easy as clicking My Music to access.

This is so cool. I just drag my actual music folder to the bar and I can set up a sexy zooming icon for it.

exactly what i needed. Tired of clicking 6 times to get to major folders.

example, before:
Start, My Computer, (double click time) J: drive, Music

now:
Music

1 click.

same thing for images, movies, games, etc. Going to set this thing up. nice that it's free for the normal version.

I'm going to download some more icons for it

Yeah its awesome. I even shelled out for the retail version. Docks with tabs win so hard. I hardly use the start menu for anything now, besides for using it to get the shortcuts onto the docks after i install something. Go to wincustomize for some nice icons. I like this guys stuff a lot. http://arnaez.wincustomize.com/

^ once I loaded Windows in safe mode, and for whatever reason, the boot screen was centered in the screen and not stretched. It looked so ace, like high-rez.

I'm going to find out how to edit the registry or something to center it and not stretch it. I'd rather have black borders and a sharp image than stretched.

Back