OT sort of - looking into future games and my specs!

KozMic

Reaction score
I'm very new to pc's (console gaming caught ahold of me for years)

my gf bought me a pc for xmas which is fine as it runs all of todays releases up to a decent standard for me including hl2, doom3, LotR BfME, far cry and sims2,those of which i bought recently.

and was wondering, after i saw trailers for battlefield2, f.e.a.r and splinter cell-CT how long my pc will be able to handle games before having to upgrade?

i know my specs arent up to date as such but here they are:
(i dont think theyre that bad for my first one )

AMD xp3000+ 2.7ghz
512ddr ram
Nvidia geForce fx5200 128mb memory,AGP 8x
directX 9.0c
120gb hd
MSI KT4 VL motherboard (i think)

i know you cant be accurate but any advice will be welcome, will this handle those games?

just to let you know half life 2 runs smoothly on

Textures - medium
models - high
simple reflections
shadows - high
shaders - no
trilinier (if spelt correctly)

sorry about the posting it in 2 topics but i got no answer in the other one

and thanks for the help in advance

It should handle them alright. You should think about getting a new video card. BTW. I can't wait for BF2. :D

That's a very good question? i've been wondering this as well

Dell PC pentium4
512mgbs' rdr 1066
60gbs hardrive space
Radeon 9800pro 128gbs

If i need to show you any other specs just tell me

ur should be fine L337, and as for kosmic, Id just get a 9800 pro and youll be set. You can find em for around $200.

assassin - graphics fine, memory should be okay (rambus has some serious drawbacks vs DDR) and CPU MIGHT be okay.... depends, if it's RAMBUS memory, I'm guessing 3Ghz or below.... just depends how far below... the last RAMBUS based system I used was a 1.4Ghz!

Back to KozMic: Everything is reasonable to very good, expect the graphics card is not that good, it has support for everything but is general a very slow card. I would suggest getting an ATI 9600pro or better, or a Nvidia 6600gt or better.

well thanks very much for the advice guys!!!

i know this is a noob question but when (eventually i get a new graphics card)

do i just place the new card in place of the fx5200?

is it as simple as that?

basicaly stick your new card in there and install the drivers and you should be good.

Don't forget to un-install the geforce drivers first, in add/remove programs.
Then after you've put your new card and drivers in, do a search for "nv" and after finding each instance, check that it is the old nvidia drivers and delete each instance.
Old drivers can remain on a system despite running numerous driver un-installs or driver un-install programs.
Any stray drivers from a different card will seriously impact future game performance.

Back