Our Benefactors - sound FX

Foebane72

Medic
Reaction score
This chapter of the game is awesome on so many levels, I don't know where to start.

Yes, I do - the sound effects, namely the huge metal blocks below ground level at the Citadel, where they make the grinding noise and so forth. And the weird metallic dinging sound that those capsules on rails make. Any idea of the origins of those sounds? The dinging sound is like something really slowed down, but I can't imagine what.

In any case, I could listen to HL2 sound effects for hours in general, I've even made some MP3s of gameplay footage for my own listening pleasure.

Yeah, I'm with you. The sound design in the Half-Life 2 games is absolutely brilliant. It's all so subtle, atmospheric, and, above all, mysterious. Every sound you hear is wonderfully distinct and helps define the "feel" of the gameplay and setting. Not to mention just about every sound effect used in the HL2 games is completely unique to those games (except for the few instances where HL sounds were used in other Valve games).

Easily one of my favorite sound effects of all time is the Overwatch "alert" siren. You can hear the one I mean by clicking here.

I always thought that was a musical sting of sorts?

Then again, I do love the female Overwatch voice that resides over the entire HL2 series! I actually wonder how the voice is projected, whether it's heard across City 17, or the "miscount detected in your block" heard from just within the building when the Combine detect your presence. Are there multiple announcements going on all over the place? Are there speakers everywhere or does the Combine project the Overwatch voice by some other means? In any case, I just love the omnipresence of it, it's everywhere, you can't get away from it.

when I play Half-Life, I feel like I am home. One of the most important reasons is the sound design. And I agree with Pikminiman, thats also my favorite sound.

HL2 sounds are great, but nothing beats the crunchy 8bit 11khz sounds from Half-Life.

Yeah, I'm with you. The sound design in the Half-Life 2 games is absolutely brilliant. It's all so subtle, atmospheric, and, above all, mysterious. Every sound you hear is wonderfully distinct and helps define the "feel" of the gameplay and setting. Not to mention just about every sound effect used in the HL2 games is completely unique to those games (except for the few instances where HL sounds were used in other Valve games).

Easily one of my favorite sound effects of all time is the Overwatch "alert" siren. You can hear the one I mean by clicking here.

Yes! That is the best sound

Back