out of order!

scully

Reaction score
dunno about anyone else.. but i think its really out of order that cs:s and halflife2 has been made avalible to people who only have a visa or mastercard!

i know its due out soon in the shops.. but come on guys!! how long have the people without credit cards got to wait?

dunno about anyone else.. but im a bit put out by this.. it sucks :angry:

How else can you ensure there isn't fraud? It's a safety measure. Can't have people screwing with sales and getting unlimited free copies.

isn't HL2 [M]??
[M] = Mature
Mature = XX years old?? (different in different countries)

You know, if you are under Mature age.. you cannot buy HL2...
But you can play it..

What i mean is... Under [M] people dont have their own credit-card's..
(huh?)

if you are Over [M] age... get a credit-card..

scully said:
dunno about anyone else.. but i think its really out of order that cs:s and halflife2 has been made avalible to people who only have a visa or mastercard!

Only CS: Source is available on Steam at the moment. HL2 isn't available to anyone, except for pre-order.

She said:
What i mean is... Under [M] people dont have their own credit-card's..
(huh?)

if you are Over [M] age... get a credit-card..

I'm 21, and although my credit rating is probably good enough to get a card, my monthly income of around £0 puts a stop to that idea...

A lot of people wont get credit cards anyway, fear of getting in massive debt...

Would be nice if valve accepted cheques or postal orders i guess, can't see it happening in this day and age though :LOL:

It would take them a ridiculously long amount of time to process so many mail orders.
Also I have no idea what She said in his/her (its?) post

I used my visa electron debit card

its not a credit card, its my bank card, worked fine :)

I'm 16

Exactly. Go open a free checking account (Crap, my bank gave me 50 bucks to open a totally free account with them) and you get a debit card.

wasnt aware that the electron card worked? i have electron and switch.. but the order screen only shows the visa and mastercard sign.. as its an american thing by the $ im assuming electron wouldnt work

I live in germany nobody has a CC where i live so I had to call Grandma in the US she gave me her CC number im so glad i got the Silver Package no matter what people say CSS RULZ

Those aren't debit cards you used, if it says VISA on it, then chances are your parents co-signed for it so it's basically a credit card for which they are held accountable were you to spend more than you can pay off. Many of my friends had those, I just went out and got a student VISA card.
You cannot use regular debit cards online.

IonizeMyAtoms said:
Those aren't debit cards you used, if it says VISA on it, then chances are your parents co-signed for it so it's basically a credit card for which they are held accountable were you to spend more than you can pay off. Many of my friends had those, I just went out and got a student VISA card.

I have used my bank debit card online for over 3 years now. Both have had VISA on them but regardless, Debit cards are not credit cards.

IonizeMyAtoms said:

I have a debit card which has the Visa logo on it...you certainly can use those online (in fact that's all I use online).

It's not a credit card simply because it has Visa/MC on it...

I was going to buy off steam but if they won't accept switch cards then I'll give my money to Vivendi instead and buy retail. :angry:

Someone said:
I have a debit card which has the Visa logo on it...you certainly can use those online (in fact that's all I use online).

It's not a credit card simply because it has Visa/MC on it...
I know you can use THOSE online, but it's technically not just a plain old debit card, it's more of a hybrid of the two that requires a gaurdian's signature as proof that they will be held responsible should anything bad happen with it.
All I was saying is that you cannot use a regular debit card to make purchases over the internet

Do you really need a credit card, isn't it enough with a Visa card without credit?

IonizeMyAtoms said:

That was funny, my VISA electron works fine, I'm sixteen, my parents hasn't signed anything, I have. You can't use money you don't have with vise electron, that is why it is so damn smart, and does not require parent co-sign, or any kind of ensurance. :afro:

IonizeMyAtoms said:
I know you can use THOSE online, but it's technically not just a plain old debit card, it's more of a hybrid of the two that requires a gaurdian's signature as proof that they will be held responsible should anything bad happen with it.

That is JUST NOT TRUE, doesn't reguire "guardian signature", since you can't use money that you do not have. As simple as that.
My Visa Electron is from a bank called Nordea, and I just walked down and said, I need a place for my money, and I would like a visa electron too, then I sign here and there, and 2 weeks later I got it.
There is NOTHING to be held responsible for, since you can't abuse it.
Well you can spend all your money, but you can not get your self i debt.

PlagueX said:
That was funny, my VISA electron works fine, I'm sixteen, my parents hasn't signed anything, I have. You can't use money you don't have with vise electron, that is why it is so damn smart, and does not require parent co-sign, or any kind of ensurance. :afro:

That is JUST NOT TRUE, doesn't reguire "guardian signature", since you can't use money that you do not have. As simple as that.
My Visa Electron is from a bank called Nordea, and I just walked down and said, I need a place for my money, and I would like a visa electron too, then I sign here and there, and 2 weeks later I got it.
There is NOTHING to be held responsible for, since you can't abuse it.
Well you can spend all your money, but you can not get your self i debt.
It is actually called a Visa Check Card and alot of banks will now let you have one if you a at least 16 years of age. Generally though if you are 16 you and your parent need to be co-signers on the checking account that the money is drawn from. At 17 years of age however in alot of states you are considered an adult and you can be sole owner on a checking account and therefore do not have to have your parents on your account with you. In either case the card itself can have your name on it and you can use it as if it were a real credit card online. The money is debited from your checking account immediately in the form of a pre-authorization and is held until the end of the business day. The money then sometimes returns to your checking account temporarily until the merchant turns their credit machine or batch their Pending Credit Card database (for Internet purchases). At this point the money then comes out of your account permanently and is credited to the merchant's Full Service Merchant Services account and is filtered to their corresponding Full Analysis Business accounts.

How do I know this? Easy...I am a Corporate Business Investment Banker.

SweetLou said:
It is actually called a Visa Check Card and alot of banks will now let you have one if you a at least 16 years of age. Generally though if you are 16 you and your parent need to be co-signers on the checking account that the money is drawn from. At 17 years of age however in alot of states you are considered an adult and you can be sole owner on a checking account and therefore do not have to have your parents on your account with you. In either case the card itself can have your name on it and you can use it as if it were a real credit card online. The money is debited from your checking account immediately in the form of a pre-authorization and is held until the end of the business day. The money then sometimes returns to your checking account temporarily until the merchant turns their credit machine or batch their Pending Credit Card database (for Internet purchases). At this point the money then comes out of your account permanently and is credited to the merchant's Full Service Merchant Services account and is filtered to their corresponding Full Analysis Business accounts.

Ha, there ya go
In Canada, I don't believe we have those electron debit card things.

...but it IS impossible to use a regular, run of the mill debit card online.

I've got a normal debit card and I use that online all the time. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to, it just means the money comes direct out of your account rather than you having to pay it at the end of the month in your credit card bill.

Look at me, all learning new things and whatnot
I can't use mine, you sure you don't have one of those chequing ones? I use mine on the internet to pay bills through my bank's website, but that's it. I can't, for example, buy things off Amazon with it

I have said it many time and I will say it many more, Creditcards are stupid, I mean you can do basicly everything with and atm card that you can do with an creditcard( atleast in Holland), the only difference is that you don't have to pay a yearly fee to be able to use it and that you can't get you're self in debt.

I don't get it why Valve doesn't allow payments via paypal?

IonizeMyAtoms said:
...but it IS impossible to use a regular, run of the mill debit card online.

100% false. I use my switch for ordering things all the time. It just requires sites have an online facility for checking your account immediately which most big sites do.

hey, in sweden u can get a electron card when ur 13... my sister got one...

You do have parents...don't you? Simply pay them the cash, and they can order it for you. Unless you're over 21...

SweetLou said:

MUST you continue? If you really are what you say you are, then where the hell have you been the last 4 years?
Credit Card Terminals have been updated, now almost every place draw the money right away and not after the day is over.
Thoose places that still does it the old way, well, they do not take Visa Electronic.

How do I know this? I've installed 2 terminals on my work at a gas station.

Example, I have $ 90 on my account. I use them all on Half-life 2 gold.
If I now go to work, and want to buy a coke, it will return error 2013 which means that there isn't enough money on my card for that transition. End of story.
No wait time. I could try to buy the coke 10 secs after I bought HL2 and it would still output a 2013.
I know they use the same system in UK, Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Sweden, Norway, and Russia. I'm not sure with other countries.
Offcause not every store has the new terminal, and you just can't use a visa electron on a outdated terminal. And it would be damn strange if they didn't use the same system where you come from, since they have tryed to make it worldwide for the last 4 years.
Thanks.

A little ad.
On the internet, all you need to do is to update some software, and the worldwide PBS system works instantly. The money is drawn right away when you use a credit card or any card over the PBS net.
And by the way. For thoose who still doubt. Visa electron works every place on the internet where they take visa.

Your electron card basically has built in insurance, it won't allow you to go into over draft, thats why its possible to get it very young. however things in the US are different and banks won't hand you a card till your 16 and have parents authorization. if your 18 and older and don't have a debit card, get one most banks only require you to start an accoutn with 50 dollars in it, if you don't have that and your 18 you shouldn't be on these forums ,you should be out getting a job

Grey Fox said:
I have said it many time and I will say it many more, Creditcards are stupid, I mean you can do basicly everything with and atm card that you can do with an creditcard( atleast in Holland), the only difference is that you don't have to pay a yearly fee to be able to use it and that you can't get you're self in debt.

I don't get it why Valve doesn't allow payments via paypal?
I pay no fees whatsoever and it builds credit. When it comes time to take out a mortgage, or take out a bank loan, I'll have no problem doing it (provided I always pay it off). You will (at least moreso than me)

IonizeMyAtoms said:
I pay no fees whatsoever and it builds credit. When it comes time to take out a mortgage, or take out a bank loan, I'll have no problem doing it (provided I always pay it off). You will (at least moreso than me)

Aha, well finally someone takes the time to explain to me what creditcards are good for, now go on please, or direct me to a site that explains more on this subject. I seriously didn't know any of this, and I didn't quite get the mortgage thing, I mean i plan to be extreemly rich, so why would i need a mortgage.:naughty: :smoking:

i didn't read all the replies but just to give a quick info : there are such things as debit cards that take straight from your account (no credit) but have a visa logo on them meaning they can be used ANYWHERE a visa credit card can, but since they aren't real credit cards, no credit :)

i have one ... greath thing

EDIT : and one other hting, if they charge you fees and junk CHANGE BANKS some of hte banks around here charge fees for everything, the one I am at now charges no fees :smoking:

LeXo5 said:
i didn't read all the replies but just to give a quick info : there are such things as debit cards that take straight from your account (no credit) but have a visa logo on them meaning they can be used ANYWHERE a visa credit card can, but since they aren't real credit cards, no credit :)

i have one ... greath thing

EDIT : and one other hting, if they charge you fees and junk CHANGE BANKS some of hte banks around here charge fees for everything, the one I am at now charges no fees :smoking:

Damn, must we in Holland be so screwed over every goddam time, I mean did you people know that games here come after they do in Germany and France, while for those country's they have to translate them, but for us there is no need, and have you seen the hard ware prices here, WoW damn, this goddamm country is only good for Junkies, Marihuana is the only thing here cheaper than in America ;( ;( ;( ;( ;( :sleep:

scully said:

i know its due out soon in the shops.. but come on guys!! how long have the people without credit cards got to wait?
november 1

Back