Overclocked ATI 9500

A

aedi

Hello all...

Just readin some other forums which talked about overclocking an ATI 9500 to an ATI 9700 via software called RivaTune.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Would it be a good investment to purchase a 9500 and overclock it, or has anyone who has done this have good reasons not do do it?

You can softmod a 9500 non-pro and enable the "missing" pipelines (it's not always possible and depends on the manufacturer - Sapphire red PCB cards are known for being good modders).
It won't become a 9700, as the memory bus is different in hardware but the pipelines you'll enable will give a nice speed boost.

If you want my advice, don't go buy a 9500 non pro with the modding in mind as it won't always work.
Go with a 9500 PRO instead. It's a hell of a board!

Overclocking a 9500 to the power of a 9700 is extremely unsafe. Chances are it will experience plenty of bugs and such, and heating/cooling will be a HUGE issue. Keeping a 9500 or above cool is hard, even with the onboard fan. Overclocking it will increase heat a ton, and make the possibility of a meltdown. Literally.

And besides, it is generally unsafe softwarewise anyway to be overclocking that hard. Don't try it. Just buy a 9700 Pro, you will be more than happy for every cent you spent on it.

I got a 9500 pro, and all my computer"geeks" friends tells me that it sucks... :eek: And that HL2 wont work with all effects turned on with it... Are they just kidding around or telling the true?

it should work with all the settings on, im actually getting a 9500 pro soon

the 9500 PRO is currentlly the best mid-price card out there. I'd perosnally perfer a 5600 ULTRA, but i like nVidia alot. :)

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
the 9500 PRO is currentlly the best mid-price card out there. I'd perosnally perfer a 5600 ULTRA, but i like nVidia alot. :)
The 5600 Ultra is an nVidia card.

So what u think is better (assuming, that I don`t have money for anything above this two) 5600 (maybe ULTRA) or 9500Pro ?

N3T

Back