Overclocking

Shift

Space Core
Reaction score
Im aware there is an overclocking thread above but it seems pretty dead to me, plus i have a simple question. How do I overclock my cpu from 2.2 to 3.0. I have an AMD Athlon 62 X2 Dual-Core 4200+. My motherboard is still new and can take it, I have 2GB of RAM at 533Mhz, and I have sufficent power supply, this room is always freezing so temperature wont be a problem.

Just need to know how to do it

Find a bunch of numbers and make them all higher in the bios. :D

No actually don't! To be honest there's a bit about that, you might want to find a lengthy tutorial on overclockers.com to get started.

Oh, I advise you ignore anyone that gives you instructions on bios settings to use for any OC. Because if you yourself don't actually 'get it' then your stuck with a PC that won't boot if something goes wrong. So learn it yourself over the net, understand the terms and meaning and intent. Then do it. :)

There's not a lot to learn, but to be cautious it's worth the little effort you put in to understanding the 'technicalities.'

Having said that, overclockers.com is a good starting point, check out the forums also.

I'm still quite confused, yet amused at the same time, that some people think a freezing room automatically means a cool internal temperature in their computer case...

Without sufficient air intake and output, your metal case will keep most of that heat inside. Sure, the cold air is good, but if it isn't exchanging that hot air for your cold room air, it means nothing.

Course if you put a computer in 20?F room, it'll be quite cool, but I doubt many people have a room colder than the mid 40s (F)...Personally mine is low-70s, but I have a few friends who keep theirs mid 60s.

well i found out how to overclock but something is stopping it going to what i want the speed to be, keeps crashing, so i think ill just stick with the default speed, the games are running a lot better now anyway

Did you increase the CPU voltage at all when increasing the FSB ? If not then that may be your first problem.

you cant just jump to any speed you want to. theres a possibilty of burning out your cpu. also to the above poster. raising the fsb raises the voltage wouldn it?? on my computer it did.

no generally you have to increase the voltages separately. What I usually do is first see how far my ram speed can go. Do this by lowering your cpu multiplier and rasing your fsb till you get crashes. Then you can increase your ram voltages and keep repeating the process until you hit its peak. Then put your cpu multiplier back to 10 or w/e the default is. Then increase the fsb again to find out the max fsb your cpu can do.

Now thats just in a nutshell, and there are plenty of better guides out there, so good luck.

Overclocking is best done having acquired a modicum of knowledge. As bryan suggests, check out some more in depth guides on the internet, there are plenty and some of them give a blow by blow account.

And giant, the voltage on your cpu may increase as you increased the fsb if your motherboard has an "auto" setting for the vcore. However, normal practice would be to set the vcore at the cpu's default, up the fsb until it is no longer stable, increase the vcore, rinse, repeat. Also, as bryan mentioned, lowering the multi and finding the highest speed your ram can cope with is a good idea.

You're all crazy, I told you not to listen to these people. I think half the advice the people here give is absurd.

In case you people didn't read, he said he doesn't know HOW to overclock, that means you can't just tell him to up the voltage, he doesn't even know HOW MUCH to up it. You're going to burn out your system in 1 go if you aren't careful. These people are used to their perspectives in reality, and aren't coping with what potential understanding you lack from having no experience.

Impartial yet correct information does not allow you to make intelligent decisions. Understand this reality, you need to -read- and do -research-. Cooling is probably your most important problem in overclocking, you need to watch those temps like mad crazy.

Learn about -cooling-. You can NOT just go up until you think you're 'stable', because your processor can run stable at VERY HIGH TEMPERATURES leading to burned out and shortly failing components. The lifespan of your devices is shortened, and if you run on edge, it's potentially severely shortened depending on the quality if your product.

Even after your computer boots, for a few days you need to be running an array of small applications to benchmark and stress your system, all while monitoring temperatures to make sure that under common and extreme use the system remains stable for future use.

There's even MORE you have to do, which you can learn, if you read and research first. Learn it entirely and practice carefully, not randomly. Overclocking your computer works when you do it -safely-, otherwise I hope you have $$ to burn for fun. All of this doesn't even cover half of the actual technical details which aid you in overclocking your components...

-Stay Away- from -this- website for overclocking, I don't like the advice they are giving you. Go to overclockers.com and just stay there. It's a damn video game website, the demographic here is mostly teens that want to be "leetz0rs", go to real technical forums, talk to people with experience about this.

I advised he check out some dedicated overclocking websites and gain some decent knowledge, you arse.

He's right, of course. But that doesn't stop him from being a dick.

Still, do be careful, and do dig in to sites like overclockers - you're much better safe than sorry.

and make sure you run stability tests after you overclock with software like Prime95 or something like that.....

Back