overheat?

ch0ke

Spy
Reaction score
what does it mean when your pc restarts int he middle of playing a game, like cs s and makes a loud beeping noise

i get some stop error messages when it turns on again and then i have turn the pc off by the mains to get rid of message

using pc wizard 2004
i got these temp. readings
Processor - 36-41 average degrees c
Mainboard - around 31 degrees c
hard disk 1 - around 45 degrees c
hard disk 2 - around 46 degrees c

my specs are
northwood p4 3.4 Ghz hyper threading enabled
radeon 9800 pro 128 using catalyst 4.9 (and i also have this problem with geforce fx 5200 128)
i have a 360 watt psu and it says the chasis fan is running at around 440 rpm is this a problem would my psu overheat? and if so how do i up the fan speed on the psu.

ive tried rolling back drivers on both graphics cards, rolling back direct x,etc doesnt make a difference.

i have 2 case fans one in one out

is this an overheating problem (the beeping sound?) or is it software based?

cheers for anyhelp

My processor is at about 42+ degrees C all the time. It's been like that for more than a year with no problems. It's also overlcocked from 2.4 to 3.0 too.

And my mainboard is usualy at about 32.

Also I have 7 case fans, and a pretty loud CPU fan.

i was getting the same problem with my computer restarting even while playing CS. i made a log of all of the temps of my hardware and finally boiled it down to a soon to be bad PSU. i went out and bought an antec truepower 430watt PSU and ive nevere had that problem again. what brand PSU do you have? it could be foreshadowing that your PSU is close to its end.

The fact that your system is beeping is a clue to the fact that it "knows" something is wrong and isn't just crashing because of unstable RAM or a bad driver or something. I know pretty much all new motherboards have built-in protection against processors overheating and such (they'll beep and shut-off at a certain temperature). I'm pretty sure a power supply would have something like this too.

Personally, my gut is telling me it's your power-supply fan. 440 rpm is pretty slow. Is it it at that speed when you're idle or just after playing a game? I'd say if it's that low after playing a game, something might be wrong. I would think that's when the PS would be hottest, and I'd hope the fan would be faster than that.

Those processor temps you listed; are they at idle or at full load (ie: during game). If you've got your processor at stock speeds, there's no reason it should be overheating.

those temps were all at idle and so was the power supply fan speed (it does not speed up while playing games), but the psu is just a standard psu that came with my case/pc from meshplc.co.uk. So maybe this psu is just shite? im oredering a new one tomorow so hopefully this will sort things out.
thanks for replies

A bad psu is also my guess. Give us news after you change the psu. Good luck

Back