"Pay to Play" in multiplayer?

grompl

Reaction score
On UKGamer.com there is a very surprising article. the Journalist asked the valve guy about the rumour that you do pay for multiplayer and he only got the answer "no comment".

this would really s**k a*s, but I don´t think they let us pay for mp.

click here to see yourself.

I think this has been discussed many times, but I severly doubt they would make it pay to play, this isn't an MMORPG.

Oh for the love of... *SEARCH*... *THINK*... Someone *MIGHT* have discovered this before you, like when it was news and not this long after?

Yeah, I think the guy is just going nuts cause they said "no comment" rather than "no". I hope so anyway, I don't see what they can offer that'll make people want to pay regularly for a FPS.

Whats the big deal, he just said no comment because he doesnt want's to comment on it. this is because he doesnt want to tell anything about multiplayer because it should be great! he often says wierd and vague things about multiplayer but its always very positive. so we should expect a really awsokme MP experience from hl2

WOW. There should be a sticky in this forum that says... "DO NOT POST P2P THREADS!!!" :monkee:

Originally posted by Inflatablewoman
WOW. There should be a sticky in this forum that says... "DO NOT POST P2P THREADS!!!" :monkee:

thats read as "DO NOT POST Peer2Peer THREADS!!!" as in no haxoring hl2 and putting it on kazaa and stickys dont work nubs dont read them ive been on many a board to know this myself

^^ true.

After the delay trend comes the "pay-to-play" threads...

Oh God...

HL2 is on schedule but the pay to play multiplayer steam account delay simulation coming out where you have to compare 4 different game engines that don't exist and speculate wildly about things you have no information on is going to be delayed until "Holiday 2003" at which point it will be ported to the doom3 engine and released in place of CS:CZ.

"no comment" means....."no comment" it´s not a yes or a no just no answer.
They no better than to charge 50 € for the game and then another xx€ for MP.

Are some of you people just so stupid now-a-days that you miss all the other threads dealing with this? FFS if you cannot read the other threads please leave.

Originally posted by peasoup
http://www.halflife.nu/artiklar/?id=70
this artical basically sums up my views on the subject

holy crap you people are cranky... geez ok so he posted an thread on an old topic... you dont have to go and decapitate him over it. But Yea, I also doubt it will go P2P, As I have said before, this would totally slaughter the MOD community... I mean, just think about it.

How can it be pay to play when individuals host the game on their own servers(computers)? The main reason MMORPG are pay to play is because the game is completely played on a set of servers that are owned and operated by a single entity. If HL2 did end up being pay to play online, I sure as hell won't be paying to play it online. I just don't understand how they could charge you if you're only playing the game on individually run servers - which is how every other fps has worked up until now. Unless, HL2 will be running games only on servers that Valve operates - that's the only way they could justify a pay to play service. But even then, I don't think I will pay to play this game online, even if I love it. If HL2 did end up being pay to play, it would destroy its mod market and CS2 would never be as popular as the original. I bet you'd see the popularity of HL2, as far as multiplayer goes, plummet rapidly if they did this. Most people won't pay, and even though I'm hardcore in to this game, I won't pay. That'd be ridiculous!

Is this a joke? lol... I'll start a pay to play thread tomorrow to keep it going.

Once again, it difinitively will be pay-to-play. Through Steam, or at EB, or GameStop, or wherever you go to buy the damn game, you'll pay the $50 or whatever Valve decrees. Done deal. You've paid. Go play.

Back