PC Gamer US give Half-Life 2 a...

Harryz

Tank
Reaction score
Not 100% confirmed.

http://www.hlfallout.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9710&st=0&#entry185101

Rating: 98 percent!

Pros - "Everything: Graphics, plot, gameplay. Its what experts have been predicting for this medium"

Lows - "Squadmates sometimes get in your way; low res textures in huge outdoor scenes"

Judge for yourself. I personally believe him since his grammar and style is different. Also someone else confirms it down the thread (but its his first post).

Small snippet:

"Valve has forged the framework for the next generation of games, demonstrating what our medium can and should be able to accompolish"

"An exhilarating entertainment that can emotionally move you one moment, kick ******* the next, and keep you immersed the whole time."

I don't believe it, 98% is way too much for any game... maybe if hl2 was longer, with better Ai and lighting... maybe

I would feel more sure if there was an apostrophe in the word "its". Maybe the guy just typed it wrong, but I don't know...

EDIT: He's lying. He says he has the January issue.

He changed it...said he read the date wrong:

"THIS IS THE DEC 04 ISSUE ON THE COVER BUT I READ FIRST ON THE ADDRESS LABEL AND IT SAID JAN 05 ISSUE. I THINK THE JAN05 ISSUE IS WHEN MY SUBSCRIPTION ENDS"

Time will tell whether this is true or not...98 does seem a bit high for any game.

He's lying. He says he has the January issue.

He says he has the December issue, it just says January by the address/name label(when the subscription runs out).

We'll have to see. Could be fake.

Still seems a bit fishy. The guy needs to take a pic of the cover or score.

Someone said:
Time will tell whether this is true or not...98 does seem a bit high for any game.
Alpha Centauri got a 98%, and not all editors agree with it. Possibly they wanted to take back the throne of best game with a game that actually deserves it.

The guy who said the score was 98% was a first time poster. This makes it highely unlikely IMO.

rrm said:
I don't believe it, 98% is way too much for any game... maybe if hl2 was longer, with better Ai and lighting... maybe

No it's not. Gamespot (website) gave chrono cross a perfect 10. The only game they ever game a 10

Well he said he swear to God....I'm always telling the truth when I say swear to God...:)

dream431ca said:
No it's not. Gamespot (website) gave chrono cross a perfect 10. The only game they ever game a 10
No, they gave Tony Hawk 3 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time a 10 too. The latter is the only one that deserved it.

Ownzed said:
Well he said he swear to God....I'm always telling the truth when I say swear to God...:)

LOL Do you swear to God that statement is true?

dream431ca said:

Gamespot gave Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 a perfect 10 aswell.

It sounds real to me.

CombineHarvester said:
The guy who said the score was 98% was a first time poster. This makes it highely unlikely IMO.

Just because he is a first time poster, doesn't mean he is faking. The hl2.php guy was a newbie, the PC Gamer UK score poster guy had 38 posts - and all were legit.

Well, the moderators should know if he's tellin' the truth or not. Maybe they will confirm the score shortly.

rrm said:

This is US PC Gamer. They overrate games. I think they gave Far Cry a 95%.

Yeah, the scores mean nothing outside of the particular publication. Theres no reason to disbelieve the 98% just because its high, it may equate to the same level as all the others.

CB | Para said:
So, is it a fake or not? :O

We don't know.

Icarus probably knows the score, so he can confirm it. Technically - it's available to subscribers (if that guy is saying the truth) so the NDA on him can be ignored, I suppose.

I thought it was going to get a way higher score than that! 98% sucks! ;(

:cheese:

rrm said:

Urm, so you've played it? :rolleyes:

Hang on guys. The proof is coming. Obviously nobody in their right mind would post something like this if it weren't true. They'd get flamed forever, and could only wish to be banned to stop the torture of flaming from the rest of us.

I don't know if it is allowed to post scanned images of game magazines. They probably are copyrighted or something.

Lets just give him some slack, I mean, 98% is only one percent more than the UK edition. It's not very unrealistic.

Homercidal said:
Hang on guys. The proof is coming. Obviously nobody in their right mind would post something like this if it weren't true. They'd get flamed forever, and could only wish to be banned to stop the torture of flaming from the rest of us.

I don't know if it is allowed to post scanned images of game magazines. They probably are copyrighted or something.

Lets just give him some slack, I mean, 98% is only one percent more than the UK edition. It's not very unrealistic.

Indeed, it's not unrealistic.

But I still doubt it, without proof.

How? We cant post any copywritten material here

What type of score were you guys expecting? Is it really so hard to believe?

Yeah it's reasonable I guess, if it's true then huzza for HL²! :)

DoctorGordon said:

Post a screenshot for the CD/DVD you got with the magazine? That happened before.

Homercidal said:

*2 percent.

DoctorGordon said:

Post intro excerpt.

Who was the reviewer?

DoctorGordon said:

You can give us some quotes if you want. :cheers:

Back