Pc Or Xbox 360?

Icewolf717

Reaction score
Ok, right now i have $450, my computer isnt well off right now, well actually it sucks

-1.3ghz processor
-20gig hd... lol
-512 ram

ya its pretty sucky

I dont know what to get, an xbox 360 or upgrade my pc.

I play halflife 2 on another computer in my living room, which isnt much better

-1.8ghz processor
-80gig harddrive
-512mb ram

Which it runs hl2 ook, but not very well. I want to upgrade my computer in my bed room really badly, but i also want the xbox 360. I was just thinking about buying new everything, processor, harddrive, ram, video card ect ect.

what should i do, and what processors, and video cards do you recomend?

the XBOX 360 is a long ways off.
There's going to be some awesome games out by then.

Upgrade your PC man.

For a card, Just got it yesterday... A Geforce 6800.
Oh my god, It's the best card I've ever had.
I can finally play Doom 3 with everything up.
And Battlefield 2 with everything on medium -> high.

Pc

Damn it's good to be back in the normal forums

It's supposed to be out in November, right? Is that a huge wait?

What are the processors? Intel? AMD? Be more specific. If it's an Intel processor running at 1.3 or 1.8 GHz you would have a huge bottleneck if you tried to use a GeForce 6800... so, you would need to upgrade the CPU (possibly requiring a new motherboard and memory). So, you could either buy an Xbox 360 and get an absolute top-of-the-line machine (with $150 left over for an extra controller and a game or two... or more if you rent) or you could spend all of the $450 on PC hardware to have a computer that is still significantly less powerful but with no money left over... and, unlike the console, the PC will be outdated again quickly and you won't be able to run the new games anymore. Also, you already have a PC, so the other aspects like additional functionality (internet, word processor, media player, etc) don't factor into the purchase.

If you can't wait and/or you want mods, go for the PC.

If you can wait and/or you want the best value, go for the console.

I would also factor in: what kind of games do you play at the moment? If they are all FPS, upgrade your PC.

To be honest I'm waiting for longhorn as my PC can run all the latest games wihtout a hiccup (albiet with significantly reduced graphics). So if you do upgrade your PC in about a years time it will be fairly terrible compared to the new ones set up to run longhorn. So if you REALLY want a new PC go for it, however don't expect it to be up to speed for long.

However Xbox 360 is cheap powerfull and can do alot your PC can do (plus perfect dark zero is gonna be on it). And it won't need upgrading again, ever.

So go for the Xbox 360 as if you upgrade your PC next year it will seriously lacking.

Well, as he already said, he wants both... so, I assumed he already knows what kinds games consoles do best... and that PCs have an edge in FPS and RTS games (as well as some types of RPGs).

Well, i love playing fps games on my pc, if i dont upgrade then my computer will be really out dated, but i have to say, i love consoles, because all the games that come out wont lag for it, but then again my pc is old, and again i could wait for christmas to buy a 360.

AHHH!!! i dont know

i am currently in a similar situation. i upgraded my PC in january fairly cheaply just to play HL2 (Radeon 9550 to replace GeForce2, upgraded to 512MB ram). This is already nearly out of date, and for future games my PC wont be able to handle them. I can either upgrade again, and spend more money or get an xbox 360. bearing in mind that aftermath is the only game on the PC i have my eye on, and that shud run on my existing system if valve dnt be daft with the system specs, im going for the xbox 360 and then saving up for a new PC when longhorn appears on the scene.

I'm still waiting for the R520 cores from ATi (3.0 shaders w00t)

Wait on both. Hardware is gonna get a lot cheaper with all the new Shiz coming out you can get something really worth your while. Call me a PC Fanboy, but I honestly think that theres a lot more depth on PC Games than consoles. But then again, you may not want depth, but thats okay. If i were you, id save up a little more, go on E-Bay and buy something really nice.

Uriel said:
Wait on both. Hardware is gonna get a lot cheaper with all the new Shiz coming out you can get something really worth your while. Call me a PC Fanboy, but I honestly think that theres a lot more depth on PC Games than consoles. But then again, you may not want depth, but thats okay. If i were you, id save up a little more, go on E-Bay and buy something really nice.

I hate that excuse... I spent 3 years following that "wait just a little longer because the hardware is gonna get cheap after the new generation comes out" philosophy. The fact is, the new generation comes out, and you don't want the old one anymore.

Adam

Well... the Xbox 360 is gonna have a lot of stuff, that isn't going to be on PC.
PC can be expensive to upgrade, I'd recommend getting a new video card, and 512 more Ram.
I like the Radeons, I currently use a Radeon 9600 Sapphire (My stepdad claims it isn't.... but I'm not stupid. I got cheaped.).
Then again, a processor could be useful, you're gonna need a little more then 450 to upgrade what you want.

Well... the Xbox 360 is gonna have a lot of stuff, that isn't going to be on PC.
And the PC has alot of stuff the Xbox 360 wont.
Minus stuff with price what does the Xbox 360 have that the pc dosn't?
They both will have good games. You can't include certain games because that goes both ways.
So.......

X360/PS3 will tear the latest pc apart so don't waste time upgrading your pc until 1 or 2 years after the new console's release. The only bad thing is when they'll be released and how much they'll cost.. rumors say ps3 might come out in 2007.. meh.

I would definately go for the Xbox 360, i mean with PC's you'll just be upgrading and upgrading. I would watch a few Xbox 360 trailers, specifically the our colony one if you haven't already, it speaks for itself.

Minerel said:
And the PC has alot of stuff the Xbox 360 wont.
Minus stuff with price what does the Xbox 360 have that the pc dosn't?
They both will have good games. You can't include certain games because that goes both ways.
So.......

360 will have face plates :eek:

the new 360 looks nasty....Pc's dont really seem to be making any new progress....i mean they will always be able to push hte limit because of upgrading and everything, but 360 is going to look awesome and u dont have to worry about performance......I used to be a die hard PC person but recently my pc decided to be a dick and not run hl2 right so I have been playing a bunch of halo...(ya halo)....:)

360 will have face plates
Well my PC can go into a whole new case...WOWZERS.
So yeah PC takes the lead on that :).

I feel for ya man.
I've been playin PC games, and finally got tired of it, when i realized that upgrading costs a lot.
I've bought an XBOX, about a month ago, since my philosphy is as such. With the XBOX dev cycle coming to a close, we know now what all the good games are. I'm guaranteed a great game library. That should keep me busy until (god willing) i'm into West Point. At which point, I can't and wouldn't want a console, and I believe, i get a free laptop. NOT to say that I have the time for games anyways....

I've never had a problem with my PC. Ive always built my own and no, i am not a rocket scientist nor a nerd who reads computer magazines. PC's are easy and worth owning. Dont forget, Mice make FPS easy!

I've always built my own aswell. I've only built two though, my first was when I was twelve(2 years ago)

I think Sega Dreamcast beats out both of em.

i would get an x box 360, the pc and it are going to go hand in hand and it is cheaper to run. but im a xbox person myself.

what if you spend some of it gor the pc and save a bit for the x360

this will probably turn this whole thread into a fanboy flame war, but if your really thinking about waiting for the 360, wait the few extra months and buy a ps3. It blows 360 out of the water, and with one simple upgrade can be used as a full fledged pc. ne who let the fanboys fight

Back