PC spec used in CS:S showcase in Seoul...

N

nadomola

Thx to Seaofp of Naircs.net and Stylenetwork, the spec of the PCs they used has been informed...welll only 3 core parts....I mean...-.-)a

CPU : Intel 2.4c
RAM : 1Gigabytes
GPU : ATI x800 pro 256

The fps was between 60 to 80 on de_aztec when it's played with 4 vs 4 format.

hehe, Celeron :(
That should mean if you got a P4 2.4GHz you should be able to reach 100fps with the same gfx card and amount of ram... (Pentium 4 is quite stronger than Celeron)

KinGadY said:
60-80 fps on x800?? rofl

Yeah it's kinda bad news for a lot of people including me, I don't think I could get the fps past 60 then.

Any word on what resolution they were playing at? Any AA or AF? (From the screenshots, it does look like AA is off)

nadomola said:
Thx to Seaofp of Naircs.net and Stylenetwork, the spec of the PCs they used has been informed...welll only 3 core parts....I mean...-.-)a

in 1024 with AA/AF or wat ?

Ninjer said:
hehe, Celeron :(
That should mean if you got a P4 2.4GHz you should be able to reach 100fps with the same gfx card and amount of ram... (Pentium 4 is quite stronger than Celeron)
2.4c is not a celeron processor, it's a Pentuim. The "c" is the revision level!!

I'm feeling like a nub right now, but I just had to ask it, whats AA and AF? ^^"
And how can I know if its on or off?

Play4Fun said:
I'm feeling like a nub right now, but I just had to ask it, whats AA and AF? ^^"
And how can I know if its on or off?

same here, i quess we are noobs then. someone explain :| And how to turn on and off? lol

Abom said:
Any word on what resolution they were playing at? Any AA or AF? (From the screenshots, it does look like AA is off)
uoh....sorry, no info about it. :(

LOL!

that's pretty crap for the x800, damn my 9800pro, it's sooooooo out of date.

AA means Anti Aliasing (4x max)
AF means Anisotropic Filtering (16x max)

Antialiased line - If you draw a straight line (under an angle) using a paint program and you zoom in, you will discover that the line looks like a stairway. To remove this and make the line look like a line points in different colors are added to the side of the line to make it look more like a real line.

The x800 supports up to 16 levels of AF; 2, 4, 8 or 16 texture samples. The user can select bilinear filtering or trilinear filtering by selecting either performance or quality mode in the driver properties

Those 2 things turned on make the game look more nicer

I can't see on the cs:s vids of those 2 are turned on... to bad quality

sharp said:
Antialiased line - If you draw a straight line (under an angle) using a paint program and you zoom in, you will discover that the line looks like a stairway. To remove this and make the line look like a line points in different colors are added to the side of the line to make it look more like a real line.

not entirley accurate. no colours are added, rather the edges are softened, which requires a lot of GPU power to do in RT.

I can understand why you would think they used different colours however, because the opacity of the softened edge varies (making the same colour look different sometimes).

sharp said:

No, colours aren't added. It's as craigweb has said edges are softened.

In lame man's language: reducing the jaggies.

sharp said:
AA means Anti Aliasing (4x max)
AF means Anisotropic Filtering (16x max)
Anti-Aliasing has a maximum of 6x on the x800 cards and 8x on the 6800 cards, although it's such a FPS drain... 6x is pushing it, but you really only need 6x to achieve total removal of aliasing.

You can bet the minimum res on those screens is at least 1024, there's a vague way of telling is the "font size" of the cash text and ammo indicators.

So, is it true that when I play with a res more then 1280X720 I dont need to worry about the AA and AF?

Play4Fun said:
So, is it true that when I play with a res more then 1280X720 I dont need to worry about the AA and AF?
I guess you mean 1280x960. If so, there will still be aliased edges, they'll just be smoother than if you were playing at say, 1024x768. Upping the resolution acts as its own antialiasing, yeah, but I'd still recommend at least 2x AA to polish off the rest of the aliasing (I prefer 4x, even at high resolutions, I just have to have perfection ;)). As for AF, changing resolution doesn't really affect it, so you'll still have to change that in your graphics card's control panel.

hmm.. this does not sound promising for those of us with lower end specs.. :|

right, i very much doubt fps is that bad, if it is, then valve have been lieing big time about CS:S.

1) prove that what you say is true (im not a regular so i don't know who you are, and if you tell truth :p + i dont know its a reliable source)
2) If it is true, and that is fps, consider that is only a test version of CS:S, so maybe when its fully placed under halflife2's clutches, and everything is ironed out for distribtution, fps maybe huge times better

Perhaps the max fps are throttled to 80 so are not really indicative of what those system specs could achieve.

I'm definately going to need a new graphics card. It will be interesting to see how the beta plays on my GF4; the rest of my system is up to scratch though.

/me hugs his Radeon 9700

Please, run CS:S and HL2 well, pleaseee! You've not let me down before, you can do it again!

/me smiles. What did you expect for CS:S when it's on Source? same sys requirements as HL1? I'm ready..

Damnit.. I hope my Geforce FX5600 will handle it though. :|

nadomola said:

wtf, and it still lagged and stuff

nice... ;<

New games almost always have less than perfect framerates (ie: not constantly higher than the refresh rate) on top-of-the-line hardware at the highest settings when they are released. The other "next gen" games are no different. Look at FarCry and Doom 3's X800/6800 benchmarks.

You know you can turn down the resolution, AA/AF, or some of the detail if you want top notch frame rates, right?

Also, things like 3Dc normap map compression (ATi) and PS/VS 3.0 (NVIDIA) have not been added to the games yet. They are supposed to noticeably increase performance on the cards that support them.

Arse, I'm sure my 9800pro 128MB will run it fine but I hope that we're not going to see an explosion in GPU performance. I can't afford to upgrade my card AGAIN for HL2!! (damn 30/09/03!).

-JeZ-
Ichthyosaur

Arse, I'm sure my 9800pro 128MB will run it fine but I hope that we're not going to see an explosion in GPU performance. I can't afford to upgrade my card AGAIN for HL2!! (damn 30/09/03!).
Send a private message to -JeZ-
Send email to -JeZ-
Find all posts by -JeZ-
Add -JeZ- to Your Buddy List
Today, 08:21 PM

OMG!!!!! 9800pro and ur woried about upgrading!!!! im dragging an FX5600 256mb behind XP2800+ and 512DDR ffs!!! lol, IM worried about upgrading m8. ***k Nvidia...ATI all the way, bring on my 9600XT plz!!! (there better be a significant difference like im told lol)

I actually own a 9600XT right now... I'm definitely pleased with its performance, but if you are really worried about it, you should just go all out and go for the X800 XT P.E., it's much better than the X800 Pro used in the tests here. I'm upgrading to a FX-53 with an X800 XT P.E. and 1 gig of Corsair XMS... It's going to kick ass.

omg u rich ****ard. lol, i would buy a X800 XT but cant dish out £350 atm, so im gonna stick with the 9600XT for now.

Im still in school, cant get a job yet... though I'm looking for something just for the summmer, havnt had much luck yet...

Cyber$nake said:
Im still in school, cant get a job yet... though I'm looking for something just for the summmer, havnt had much luck yet...

dude, anyone can get a job anywhere. for me, working a LAZY 4 days minimum brings to me over £110, and thats enough to save up for a 9800pro in like...2 months. just ask somewhere where you should enjoy the work, mind you, i hate my job atm, but the pay is pretty good :)

Back