PCI-E or AGP???/

Seth064

Reaction score
Lo there....

Right am buildng a new pc very soon, and am just wondering If I should get a PCI-E MOtherboard or should I get another AGP one.
I have looked up many sites to see wat the advantages of PCI-E were, I wasnt satisfied by the answers that I got...then I noticed that these articles were wrote way back at the start of last year.
I was for getting-

**Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI nForce4 SLI Skt939 1000FSB, DDR400, SATA2, RAID, 2 x GB LAN, Wireless LAN, 8ch Audio, USB2, IEEE 1394B, ATX

**AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 64 bit 512k L2 Cache Retail inc.fan Skt 939 (3 yr.warr.)

**2x Samsung Original 512MB DDR400 PC3200 RAM

**Powercolor ATI Radeon X800 XL 256MB DDR3, PCI-E, DVI, TV Out Retail

**19" Iiyama LS902UTG

**Raidmax Cobra Black 450W dual fan +2 fans +USB2.0 +audio +window +UK power lead.

Back to my First question....Should I upgrade to PCI-E now or shall I wait until I upgrade again which wont be for another 1 or 2 years time?

There are no advantages of going to PIC-E right now (no performance increase) however I would reccomend going with PCI-E if you interested in SLI (linking 2 videocards together). If you dont care about SLI though go with AGP and you should be fine for a couple years.

Thanks, I know theres no performance gain atm but if I go PCI-E now then will that not make my PC Future proof for quite a long time, meaning that after a couple of years I wont have to upgrade everything again just my grahics card and maybe RAM or processor?

in a couple of years, processors may use a different socket type and you know how it is, the whole lot changes, its so annoying. DDR1, DDR2, DDR3, maybe DDR4. i hate to think about it

it prob. wont even be DDR anymore and yes i would go with pci for future reasons since the video cards will be pci-e cards. then soon pci-e 1x cards will come out idk what they are yet but wait and c

Socket 939 and PCI-E is a good thing to buy for some future-proof, and if you have the money.

Washuu said:
Socket 939 and PCI-E is a good thing to buy for some future-proof, and if you have the money.

THANK YOU, some1 has finally said something that helped reasure me that this is a good investment......I have a decent amount of money and this is wat I have come up with (look at first post for specs) for the money I have available.

i just noticed ur specs and saw that u had a SLI mobo r u going to use this for 6600 6800 l8r because u dont really need that and its an extra 50 or 80 bux for it

giant384 said:
i just noticed ur specs and saw that u had a SLI mobo r u going to use this for 6600 6800 l8r because u dont really need that and its an extra 50 or 80 bux for it
If he is going to play all the latest games with full detail, really high resolution, 4xAA and 8xAF, there will be a big performance difference. The question is if the money is worth it. It's not in my opinion.

i no that but hes buying a x800XL and those arent sli compatible

Yes, but later on he could get a pair of SLi compatible cards :)

Anyway, I'm on PCI-E now and loving it :D

Yeah..the reason am getting an SLi board is so I have the option to install 2 Graphics cards in the future.....hope when ATi release a SLi compatible card :D

The X800XL PCI-E is sufficant enough to play the games of today and tomoro...maybe not of next week but it will do none the less.

i need like a thousand then i could build a comp. with sli i would love sli so much i only have like 85 right now anyone want to share the wealth

I think if you're getting an X800 XT (or above) it doesn't really matter whether you go AGP or PCI-E, as by the time you'll need a new gfx card you'll almost certainly need a new motherboard too.

doubt it pci-e just came out last summer so i dont c y he should and agp has been around for like 10 years

giant384 said:
i need like a thousand then i could build a comp. with sli i would love sli so much i only have like 85 right now anyone want to share the wealth

Mate...this pc aint even costing anywhere near £1000.
~If you dont include the monitor~
This specs I mentioned only cost close to £631.

I was supprised at how cheap it was to get a really good pc...altho its still not cheap, it alot better than shelling out a grand+ for a pre-built pc.

giant384 said:
who ever said i was buying a prebuilt pc they sux

I wasnt implying you were getting a pre-built pc, I was simply saying that they arent woth the money.

All I was sayin is that you dont need £1000 to make a decent pc that will be future proof for .....maybe...say.....6 months, maybe even a year :p

Go for the pci-e. look forward not backwards. I remember when agp came out we had the same arguements then.
People where saying why should i get an agp there is no advantage over PCI.
HAHA most of you are saying that now.
How history repeats itself.

Seth064 said:
I wasnt implying you were getting a pre-built pc, I was simply saying that they arent woth the money.

All I was sayin is that you dont need £1000 to make a decent pc that will be future proof for .....maybe...say.....6 months, maybe even a year :p

i want a pc that will last me a good while but really i only need 800 i was just rounding

Back