Pci-x

kickass2009

Reaction score
The new VIA chip I am considering for the FX-53 system im getting has a 1 ghz fsb (sadly its just as fast as an 800mhz fsb in games) and PCI-X I was just wondering if PCI-X is the same a PCI exspress. Below is some information I got off google.
PCI-X 2.0 is a new, higher speed version of the conventional PCI standard, which supported signaling speeds up to 533 megatransfers per second (MTS). Revision 1.0 of the PCI-X specification defined PCI-X 66 and PCI-X 133 devices that transferred data up to 133 MTS, or over 1Gbyte per second for a 64-bit device. The present revision adds two new speed grades: PCI-X 266 and PCI-X 533, offering up to 4.3 gigabytes per second of bandwidth, 32 times faster than the first generation of PCI. Another major feature of the PCI-X 2.0 specification is enhanced system reliability. ECC support has been added both for the header and payload, providing automatic single-bit error recovery and double-bit error detection. These new standards keep pace with upcoming advances in high-bandwidth business-critical applications such as Fibre Channel, RAID, networking, InfiniBand™ Architecture, SCSI, and iSCSI.

are their really any benefits to PCI-X then if the new generation of video cards wont support it. (or will they)

Can't find any links to back up my memory, but here is what I remember.

PCI-x is slowly replacing the current PCI standard. They are backward compatible. The main benefit of PCI-X is additional bandwith. This will help bandwith hungry PCI cards like gigabit ethernet cards maximize its performance potential.

PCI express has been determined to replace AGP in terms of a graphic card bus.

blahblahblah said:
Can't find any links to back up my memory, but here is what I remember.

PCI-x is slowly replacing the current PCI standard. They are backward compatible. The main benefit of PCI-X is additional bandwith. This will help bandwith hungry PCI cards like gigabit ethernet cards maximize its performance potential.

PCI express has been determined to replace AGP in terms of a graphic card bus.
PCI Express isn't backward compatible. ;)
It's a new slot and is serial rather than parrallel.

PCI-x isn't PCI Express.
PCI-X is the 64bit backward compatible slot that is in server/workstations today.

PCI Express will first aprear as a 16x PCI Express graphics slot and then other versions of PCI Express will replace PCI slots.

The first set of PCI Express boards will probably all have PCI slots and the 16x PCI Express slot in place of AGP since there will be no PCI Express expansion boards except GFX cards...

And why look to the new VIA chip?
nForce3 250 will rock the house. ;)
Many features on that chipset. Socket 939 A64's all will have 16bit Full Duplex 1ghz Hypertransport.

I said i was considering the VIA but ya the nforce 3 is probably a much better choice.

Back