Pentium 2.0ghz vs. Sempron 3000+

J

JoeMan05

Hello everyone! It has been a long time since I have posted. I have a question... My dad just bought a new computer that he was going to use for himself and give his current one to my little brother, well my computer is the exact same as his, except mine has a geforce6600gt :D Anyways, he decided to give the new computer to me and give my old one to my brother. The new comp has a Sempron 3000+ with 333mhz fsb in it, and my current comp has a Pentium 2.0ghz. I was wondering which one would perform with half life better, of course I would switch my 6600gt card into the new comp and it will have the same amount of ram as my current comp also. Im guessing it would outperform the Pentium, but im not really familiar with how good semprons are, in fact ive never used an AMD processor before, so I dont really know anything about them. Any help would be great.

The Sempron, by far. All 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 models (especially the Wilamette core, which I suspect yours is) are far outclassed by the Sempron, even though Sempron is AMD's low end offering. Go for the Sempron, especially if you're going to be gaming. Sempron is low end AMD, but it has the integrated memory controller of its more prestigous cousins, can handle faster RAM, is more efficient (instructions per clock), has the same or greater L2 cache (depending on the core), etc etc.

Hey thanks! Yeah I figured it would be considerably faster. Now hopefully my video card wont be bottlenecked so much, i was never impressed with my frame rates after I got that video card, hopefully it will help a lot. Im getting excited!

It should be better, I have also heard that those semprons are great overclockers, if you are into that sort of thing :p

JoeMan - let us know how it turns out, if it is noticably better performance or not.

Hulk

Yay I got my computer up and running, but what an adventure it was, becuase I think my graphics card is now crapping out. About a week ago the fan started making a lot of weird noises at start up then it would quiet down, so I figured the bearings were goin out or somethin, but my temperature never went higher than normal so I didnt worry about it. Well now I put the card in my new computer, installed the 71.84 nvidia drivers and it is artifacting pretty bad on my desktop. My temperature is at a normal 58C which it usual idles at, so Im not sure if its a heat problem, but I did wiggle the fan a bit because it seemed easy to move and I think it seperated from the GPU. That might have done it :( I emailed XFX and im going to see if they will replace the card or the fan or something because it should still be under the 2 year warranty. Any suggestions on my problem would be great though

EDIT: Ok nevermind about the temp staying ok its slowy rising and in about 15 minues it went from 58 to 62 degress, so i think im gonna pull it out and use the onboard video until I figure this stuff out. I wanna play half life though!!! :(

I'm not entirely sure what the normal operating temp of a 6600GT is, but 58 does seem quite high. You could make sure that the fan is firmly screwed to teh card and that the heatsink on it is making a good solid contact with the GPU. Also make sure that the fan spins freely and that there is no dust in teh fan to clog it up. ALso, what is teh air flow like in your pc, could maybe add a case fan to improve it or tidy up the wiring in there to also improve airflow.

Well i dunno if anyone cares, but i finnally got a new card back from xfx! it was a very prompt replacement though. Now I can finnally play hl2 and bf2, its been like 3 weeks so im going through withdrawls. I also should be getting 1gb of dual channel ram tommorow that will help speed me up too. Ill post how much of a gain I get soon.

Back