Persistent graphical glitches

pk1209

Reaction score
I'm getting these annoying glitches in cs:s

http://img11.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img11&image=chateau5qd.jpg

Only happens on certain maps and only in cs:s. Affected maps are chateau, piranesi, train and i forget the other one. Also whats strange is that this has happened on two different systems, my old one and my new one (gfx card is the only part in both machines).

old machine:
amd 2800 xp
2x512 DDR 333 RAM corsair xms
asus a7n8x deluxe
asus 9800 xt
onboard sound

new machine:
pentium 3200 prescott
2x512 DDR 400 corsair xms (twinned)
asus p4c800-e deluxe
asus 9800 xt
creative audigy 2 zs

Both machine were xp pro sp2 all latest drivers.

These glitches have occurred through many version of the drivers. I've checked for overheating, but that's not the problem.. BF2 runs fine etc, as well as HL2.

Any help much appreciated!

EDIT: I should also mention another odd thing about all this... it only happens at certain points in the map. As you see in the above link, on chateau its the inside bomb site, on piranesi its right on top of the battlements (or whatever you call em) and train its quite a lot of the map, mainly t start and inside hall to inside bomb site.

is ur graphics card overclocked? artifacts from too high of an overlcock maybe

Your old machine is superior to your new one, with the exeption of the audigy 2. Update drivers, and get some of that canned air.

When minimizing from CS:S while the client is retrieving information from the game server, things such as weird graphical glitches as the one you have just represented will infact occur. Other than that, completely delete the map and just re-download it :)

I'd say that its a graphics card setting. I have seen that before, and I think its usually due to a heat issue. Whats teh airflow like in your case and do you have a pci card like your audigy right next to the graphics card so its almost blocking the fan?

i've been through most of the gfx settings there are... vsync on off, aa on af off, both on, both off etc.

Its definately not overheating.. i alt-tab and check temp and its fine at 60 (asus cards run hot anyway)... if it was heat, these glitches would happen allover the map... and this is the only game having these problems.

And to the guy that said my old machine was superior... how does a slower CPU and slower ram make it superior? Methinks you're confused.

I'm gonna try deleting the maps and redownloading them... but how do i do this, are they not hidden within some file somewhere?

I think the maps will be in teh steamapps folder somewhere. I'm not at my own pc so I can;t check the proper location of them, but have a look in there, bound to find them.

Turn Vsync on, Vsync reduces visual tearing or something like that. I used to have the same problem but turning Vsync on fixed it.

Back