Physics slowdowns?

andrew_e1

Reaction score
Hey,

Is it normal for the game to slow down when there are like..for example, a bunch of 20 barrels...if i touch them, or i move one that makes the others move, framerate gets killed...if i back up, everything goes back to normal...

is this normal???

athlon 2800
9800 pro
512 pc2700

Yup, that kind of slowdown is perfectly normal because of the HL2DM physics. However with the normal HL2 physics that doesn't happen. The reason for it is because of the horrible bouncey/rubbery effect Valve has stuck on physics items in HL2DM which is absolutely horrible.

I think Valve should include an option for high bandwidth users to enable the full physics of HL2 (instead of HL2DM's reduced physics). Try the original HL2 in multiplayer using the console, much nicer physics and hardly any slow down.

Prototelis how do you change the physics settings? I'd be extremely interested in knowing if there is anything I can do to make the HL2DM physics better and more stable like the HL2 physics.

Can you give me some suggestions please or tell me how? Many thanks in advance.

well i mean comeon, you kinda dug your own hole.

IS THE GAME SUPPOSED TO SLOW DOWN WHEN A TON OF CALCULATIONS ARE GOING ON IN THE SCREEN WHAT

ArKTisK you're a mindless moron. If you actually tried what andrew_e1 has mentioned in his first message (stacking objects in MULTIPLAYER) you will know that it causes slow downs that are NOT PRESENT in the single player portion of the game.

It was a totally legitimate question and is nothing to do with "A TON OF CALCULATIONS ARE GOING ON IN THE SCREEN". Instead it's to do with some limitations Valve have imposed on HL2DM physics to make them more bandwidth friendly, and in my mind there should be an option to disable them (because of some problems such as what andrew_e1 has mentioned).

Also anyone that says "WHAT" at the end of a sentence, such as the way you've done it, is just unworthy of human classification. I'm sick of imbeciles on this board jumping in and talking garbage when people pose legitimate questions.

Also, andrew_e1 I think the best solution is to contact Valve directly. Rest assured plenty of people are having the same problems as yourself due to the HL2DM butchered physics.

If you find a contact email please let me know and I'll also drop them an email. Cheers.

ark...shhh he was asking a simple question and you gave a moronic unhelpful answer..

ArKTisK - "IS THE GAME SUPPOSED TO SLOW DOWN WHEN A TON OF CALCULATIONS ARE GOING ON IN THE SCREEN"

LOL LOL LOL This complete clown thinks calculations take place IN his screen, ie his monitor! Perhaps someone should explain the basics of computer science to this poor guy. The CPU (ie. Central Processing Unit) is where the calculations take place!!!

ArKTisK, the best thing is to just not reply. In fact, close your account on these boards. With each post you reveal your stupidity more and more.

Back