Pictures of my sword! :D

thehunter1320

Reaction score
Heheh, nice weapon there. (Display I guess)

Just outa interest... Do you know how to use it?

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Heheh, nice weapon there. (Display I guess)

Just outa interest... Do you know how to use it?

not EXACTLY but if the situation called for it i could kill people w/ it... it's sharp enough... i know, i felt it :(

lol. Too right, slash and hack.... :LOL:

Ewww... I just remembered some scenes from Kill Bill.... ouchie!

Very cool, how much it set you back?

You bastard, i want a sword! ;(

that's awesome :p

nice display too

although the ''pic of me holding it'' wasnt exactly what i expected :rolleyes:

p.s. marksman, i thought you were packing for scotland :p

seal - crazy

marksmanHL2 :) said:
lol. Too right, slash and hack.... :LOL:

Ewww... I just remembered some scenes from Kill Bill.... ouchie!

Very cool, how much it set you back?

$56 including shipping and handling

LOL, i have a friend that also bought a katana because of Kill Bill. This is the sword he bought.

http://www.mantisswords.com/practical_plus_katana_ii.htm

It's got real rayskin and leather hilt grip. It's extremely sharp. We were chopping through this fruit dummy that we made. The torso was a watermelon and the head was a cantaloupe with cucumber arms... Aparently slicing through a watermelon is supposed to be similar to slicing through a human....

Edit: It's a practical katana, so it can really be used in battle and cutting demonstrations....

I'm sure it's sharp. But is it REALLY sharp. i.e. Would skin be cut with the slightest bit of pressure? When I ask is it 'razor-sharp' I mean it literally. Will it cut with the same pressure a razor blade does?

I couldn't tell from the pic but the edge looks a little wide :-/

Wait, cut yourself twice? Either you are very clumsy, or it IS sharp.
...Or both ;)

PunisherUSA said:
I'm sure it's sharp. But is it REALLY sharp. i.e. Would skin be cut with the slightest bit of pressure? When I ask is it 'razor-sharp' I mean it literally. Will it cut with the same pressure a razor blade does?

I couldn't tell from the pic but the edge looks a little wide :-/

Wait, cut yourself twice? Either you are very clumsy, or it IS sharp.
...Or both ;)

it's not razor sharp... but it's sharp enough to cut myself while wielding it around the room

nw909 said:
Thehunter is a disembodied hand!

am not :(

$56! Heh, I should get one myself...

But what I really want is one of the proper folded steel swords that are really really expensive. The type that senior officers got in WW2....

They WILL cut thought skin with the weight of just the sword itself (Quite light).
Those things a vicious....

They sharpend swords like that with cloth.....

I wanted to get a katana but my mom said that I would kill somebody with it. I told her that I just wanted one because there cool and it would be ekpt on my shelf but she kept insisting that I was going to kill someone.

outpost233 said:
I wanted to get a katana but my mom said that I would kill somebody with it. I told her that I just wanted one because there cool and it would be ekpt on my shelf but she kept insisting that I was going to kill someone.
yeah, thats the same with me pretty much.

she thinks i'de kill my dad or someone.....

damn those fools who cut each other up with them on the news...

theres some amazing deals on ebay ;(

smashing pumpkins - disarm

looks like some fake cheap reproduction

real swords cost thousands of dollars

that shit would break if you hit a piece of wood with it

You should start learning kendo

Well it's not like he's going to go into combat with it. What's it matter if he's just going to play around with it?

dassbaba said:

well, alot of things would break if you hit a piece of wood with it... it's for display! i'm not going around town slashing people, jeez

Sorry I havnt replied..

I looked out the window and saw this:

Then I ran arround the house unplugging everything. :p
Then I came back to the computer and realised that their had been a power surge and it had restarted itself.... THEN the power switched off in the house...

Then I unplugged the computer and backed away slowly...... :O

thehunter1320 said:
... it's for display! i'm not going around town slashing people, jeez

well you should! you can start with dassbaba ...might have to hack at him a few times but I'm confident you could cut him :angel:

Nice blade, shame about the handle.

You can always tell the quality of a Katana by looking at the handle. Out of interest how much did you pay?

Paul Chen makes the best practical Katana's I've ever seen, but the quality is clear in the price £200-£600 ish for each sword.

HunterSeeker said:
A katana!! How could you!? You are defying medievla europe!!!

PFFT. **** medieval Europe and their heavy swords (and I'm European!).

Japanese weapons are graceful and look beautiful (well crafted ones do anyway).

Oh. and the suckers are bloody sharp!

Bah for Japanese weaponry.

I learn with Chinese style swords and axes at my kung fu place. Much better!

:p

benson said:
PFFT. **** medieval Europe and their heavy swords (and I'm European!).

Japanese weapons are graceful and look beautiful (well crafted ones do anyway).

Oh. and the suckers are bloody sharp!

You caught the bait! MUWAHAHAHA!

The thing is medieval sword did weight about the same amount as a katana (IIRC the average was 4 pounds) and was sharp enough (you could without much effort sever someones limb or head). Plus they could fight armor as well, while a katana would most likely break when hitting chainmail, simply due to the poor quality iron that was mined in japan at that time.

Beautiful? Well it is a matter of opionion...

If you give me some time I could probubly give you some references.

HunterSeeker said:
You caught the bait! MUWAHAHAHA!

The thing is medieval sword did weight about the same amount as a katana (IIRC the average was 4 pounds) and was sharp enough (you could without much effort sever someones limb or head). Plus they could fight armor as well, while a katana would most likely break when hitting chainmail, simply due to the poor quality iron that was mined in japan at that time.

Beautiful? Well it is a matter of opionion...

If you give me some time I could probubly give you some references.

There was demonstration on the cutting power of a Katana and a Medievel sword. And yes it was on chainmail.

First up. The Medievel sword.

He swung good and hit the dummy wearing the chain mail. Well is was nasty. The whole should area was caved in and broken up. Massive damage to the bone structure.

Next up. Katana.

The cut was made at the same general location as the medievel sword. This time however the chainmail fell to the floor leaving a nice razor style cut down the should area and across the chest.

The medievel style swords wear not made for cutting in the same way a Katan was. For the Knights wearing heavy armor it was more practical to drive more force behind the blade than sheer cutting ability. While their sword wouldn't cut through the metal it left an enemy busted up on the inside.

It was also traditional that swords were tested on human bodies. Katanas would have to be preformed on several different cuts, to finaly be accepted as finished.

The samurai sword also took months to finish, it wasn't uncommon for a sword to take over a year to complete. The katana was effective in the sence of dealing with an opponent with as little energy as possible. Swinging a heavy medievel sword could get tiring after a few good swings.

Sources?

And the katana was made when? In modern times i can maybe belive what you said, but not if it was made exactly with same technique and iron as it was in japan.

ive got a kool sword, not sharp or anything. its a replica of Narsil from LOTR, its huge.

HunterSeeker said:
Sources?

And the katana was made when? In modern times i can maybe belive what you said, but not if it was made exactly with same technique and iron as it was in japan.

I am sure it was modern being that no fool would risk damaging a ancient sword for testing purposes. Regardless A "REAL" Katana is made the same today as it was a thousand years ago, with the highest amount of care and spirtuality.

And when buying a REAL Katana you go through an ancient ritual when you are being given the sword buy its creator.

I got a sword too yay.
Edit: ok good, never done an attachment before heh.
First pic, sword on wall, sheathed.
second, sword on floor unsheathed.

Well, as a bladesmith myself I can say that you can not compare a katana and a european sword! That is because a katana was used for cutting flesh and not armor, katanas were rarely used in big scale combat, mostly for duels and stuff, for piercing armor pikes were used. If you had to fight a armored guy, the joints were the best spots to hit! A real battle katana was usually not razor sharp to prevent from damaging the edge! Yes the jepanese native iron is not of the best quality, but skilled smiths used to fold the swords to making a more uniform an better steel! European swords on the other hand were armor piercing weapons, and they were heavyer than katanas!

I have been a bladesmith for 1 year now, and I'm currently working on a tanto, i'll post some pics when finished!

Kill bill sucks as a movie....unless you like seeing pointless ...well hell it cannot even be called gore it was so retarded looking

Back