Piecing together a puter

Bad^Hat

The Freeman
Reaction score
So I'm shifting out of home and I've been looking at getting a new PC - this one is the family compy although I've bought most of the upgraded parts (infact I think the case is the only original thing left on it...). Anyway I figured why get a whole new system when I already have some parts lying around, stuff I'd intended to put in this one but never really got around to. I don't really have high demands for gaming as I have an Xbox 360 aswell, so long as it can run anything out at the moment well, I'll be happy.

This is what I'm working with -

AMD Athlon64 3200+
Nvidia 6800 128MB AGP 8X (Glacier brand, big funky blue fan)
Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 Motherboard (Mostly got it because it has AGP aswell as PCI-E slots)
And a DVD/RW drive.

So basically I'll be building a system around these parts, but I'm unsure about a couple things. My main concern is about compatibility, like should I be worried about certain parts not getting along with others if I'm just buying everything individually? I ask because I've had problems with this in the past, although I never really found the cause so I'm not sure about that either...

Besides that, I could use some advice on filling out the rest of the system. I've got a good idea of which monitor I want, but that won't effect anything anyway. As for the rest -

Memory - No idea about brands or speeds, but looking at 1-2gb.
Harddrive(s) - Something fast, was thinking IDE, 2-300gb to start. There're always good brands up for cheap on the local auction site, so I should be fine on this.
Power Supply - This one I've no idea on - what kind of juice should I be needing to power a system like this? Could even stand to go over a bit incase I upgrade the video or something in the near future. A few brand suggestions wouldn't go amiss either as I'm completely unfamiliar with them (I got the one for this computer and it seems to constantly overheat :x).

And uhh... whatever else I'm missing.

Any help greatly appreciated. Ta :)

Back