PlanetPhillip Mapping Contest: Sniperville

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
PlanetPhillip.com have just kicked off a brand new mapping contest which is based around the blue beamed menace that is the sniper in Half-life 2 and it's episodes.
The winning map will be the one that creates an interesting scenario using at least one and a maximum of 3 snipers. I am looking for something that requires the player to think carefully about their surroundings and forces them to use those surroundings and resources to reach a particular objective.
Cash prizes will be available for the winning map and honourable mentions. The competition closes on 4th January 2010, but you can see the full details on how to enter and on the PlanetPhillip contest page.

$70? Sure pales in comparison to Garry's contest!

Argghh phillip isn't a rich guy, he said if you want you can be in the jourey and deside who would be the winner and make the prize bigger! Come on give 1000 $ to someone :) if you could !

Cool, I need $70. :cool:

Edit: Oh come on, it ends at 7 Jan. I want to play L4D2 before Jan.

You're pretty good with this stuff Barnz, should only take you 5 minutes. ;)

Prize money is very generous I think considering Phillip is his own self-sufficient single player mod soldier.

edit: Btw Barnz, is the sniper code in HL2 source and source 2007? If so, is it identical or improved?

i don't think they ever changed npc_sniper - of course, there's minor ai improvements, but nothing major i guess. i think ep2 supports brush based weapons (hl1-style) too. there's countless possibilities

Edit: speaking of contests, there's a l4d2 contest where you have to draw erotic image involving l4d2's spitter and...robert pattinson from twilight.

Oh come on, it ends at 7 Jan. I want to play L4D2 before Jan.

For a minute there, I thought the price was L4D2. That someone had finally gifted Phillip L4D2, and now he was giving it away.

If anybody would like to contribute to the prize fund they can become a judge. Minimum contribution is $20.

Damn. Makes me wish I had actually learned mapping when I had the free time. Making a map based around snipers sounds like a very interesting project, although the maximum of three seems a little small. I guess it's to stop people spamming them in their maps.

it's never too late

I don't know if I'd have time over the Christmas holidays to learn to map and make one based around snipers! I barely even remember anything about it from my brief try at it. I did make a small map where a gunship flew around and then crashed into a building.

Back