Played LoZ:Wind Waker for the first time.

Saturos

Reaction score
.......:O

Where have I been for the past 4 years huh? I actually played and completed Twilight Princess before ever playing Wind Waker. It plays almost exactly the same as any other Zelda game albeit the major "sailing" gimmick.

Has anyone noticed a trend with every Zelda that's been released? It's ALWAYS the same gameplay experience every time EXCEPT for a specific gimmick. For example, in Majora's Mask there was the three-day-till doom thing and the masks, Twilight Princess had the Twilight realm and the wolf form, Minish Cap had, well, the minish cap that makes you tiny.

As much as I loved the series, I think it's time for it to evolve into something more and not just some new gimmick every release. Fans will eventually get tired of the same-old, same-old and move on to other series. Zelda must either evolve or Nintendo just needs to create an entire new series and let Zelda die gracefully. Otherwise a similar scenario could happen like what happened to other series like Sonic. Poor Sonic. :(

Wind Waker had an awesome story though. Post apocalyptic waterworld Hyrule was downright creepy.

EDIT> Oh and btw, the cel-shaded graphics were a nice change. Zelda purist fanbois can kiss my arse.

Wha? you just figured this out now? How long have you been playing Zelda games?

In any case it never gets tiring imo, the gimmicks make every game interesting and fresh, especially
compared to what else is on the market most of the time. change it too much, will make it a completely
different game as far as I can see.

Wha? you just figured this out now? How long have you been playing Zelda games?

In any case it never gets tiring imo, the gimmicks make every game interesting and fresh, especially
compared to what else is on the market most of the time. change it too much, will make it a completely
different game as far as I can see.
That's right. I forgot to specify that Sonic is dying because the devs have changed it around TOO much. Then again, Sonic's formula of just "speed" has been very difficult to make appealing on next-gen consoles this day and age.

If Nintendo would just add some new moves to Link's arsenal, I'd be happy. Maybe some new spells or something too to make even more use of the magic meter. "OoT" and "A Link to the Past" at least had three spells other than the ice/fire/light arrows. Some additional sword combos/moves would be nice too.

BTW, my favorite Zelda of all time is Zelda II on the NES.

/runs away

Then you have people like me that just don't play Zelda games.

And also people like me who hate nintendo because all of their major franchises are the same game redone 8 million times.

Fans will eventually get tired of the same-old, same-old and move on to other series.

Its been 20 years dude. If that were true, then people would have moved on a long time ago.

Frankly, I think they have a great system. The twist the put in each game changes things up enough to keep everything fresh and interesting, while keeping the basics that people are familiar with.

I love the Wind Waker so much. I honestly never find the Zelda games to be the same thing over and over - I feel that they have been designed with a lot of care and catering towards making a very cool and original experience. But then, I've got so much love for a boat load of other things in the Zelda games that aren't gameplay focused.

Then you have people like me that just don't play Zelda games.
I can see why some people don't like the Zelda series. I'm not a biased fanboy. :)

At times, I found myself yawning at the meaningless rummaging around for pieces of hearts, bottles, rupees, etc. when it has no effect on the bigger picture as long as you can still complete the main story without all that stuff. I figured one might as well complete the main story the best I could and only go after the extras when I need them because "treasure hunting" for the same thing over and over is boring imo.

BTW, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess both had secret dungeons with 50+ floors. (Cave of Ordeals and Savage Labyrinth) That very much reminded me of the Star Ocean series' "Maze of Tribulations". Nintendo should've put some sort of super tough boss at the end of these dungeons much the same way Tri-Ace did with it's Star Ocean series.
That would've made the secret dungeons much more compelling imo rather than it being just another meaningless "treasure hunt".

Wind Waker should be great, I've got to get around to getting it.

I liked Phantom Hourglass.

Wind Waker should be great, I've got to get around to getting it.

I liked Phantom Hourglass.

What are you talking about? There have only been three main 3D Zelda games ffs. Majora's Mask being more of an expansion type deal. And I like when people say it should evolve yet offer no ideas on how.

Just be happy that they're not as samey as every FPS you play.

Wind Waker was a great game. I was one of the few strange people who actually enjoyed the sailing. I saw it as a time for meditation and introversion. There was something beautiful and mysterious about sailing over the mostly submerged past of Hyrule.

I don't think the formula of the Zelda games necessarily have to change to keep them interesting. I think the most important parts are the development of the various locales, characters, and storyline. I also loved the new weapons in Twilight Princess. The spintop thing was great. There were also some interesting plot developments with the game. Though Ganon is getting a little old and tired, it's hard to refuse an epic battle with him (Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess all had great Ganon fights).

It will be interesting to see what Nintendo thinks of for the next Zelda installment, especially considering there haven't been any really strong first party titles recently. I think Miyamoto said he wanted to start making more games that appealed to the Halo and Gears of War audience, so hopefully we can expect something more grand than any other Zelda title we've seen and played (and hopefully not something that requires the WiiFit board and features horse-surfing Link; I know the kids and grannies would love it).

Wind Waker was a great game. I was one of the few strange people who actually enjoyed the sailing. I saw it as a time for meditation and introversion. There was something beautiful and mysterious about sailing over the mostly submerged past of Hyrule.

Man, this. It felt so good to jump into the boat, get out your map and set a course for the other side of the game. Storms, beautiful sunsets, fearsome underwater creatures, enemy watchtowers, passing weirdos...

****. I NEED to play this game again. Like, now. Yeah, I might go set up the Gamecube. Laters folks!

I've beaten link's awakening, oracle of seasons/ages, minish cap, and part of OoT. I reckon one day I'll pick up the rest for a real **** zelda **** fest

Wind Waker is probably the Zelda game that sticks with me more than any game in the series. It came out about 4 days before my Gran died and I remember feeling guilty playing Zelda when I should have been mourning. But now I realise it was more escapism.

And what escapism it was. It was just so different from anything I'd ever played before. And it felt so amazing, as has been said before, to have this HUGE overworld that you could explore to your heart's content.

And despite the relatively small amount of dungeons, they were all superbly designed. Streamlined and fun. Never any of the drudgery that entered some of OoT and MM's dungeons.

Until TP, it was my favourite game in the series.

I loved Ocarina of Time, but there were definitely some parts that I found very discouraging.

Here's a true story: I stopped playing OoT for more than a year when I got stuck in the Water Temple. Once I figured out the mess half a year ago, I started playing through the rest in my dorm and finished the game in September. Oh, sweet and greatly delayed victory.

Majoras Mask Water Temple threw me off for a good few weeks, I recall.

Majoras Mask Water Temple threw me off for a good few weeks, I recall.
That dungeon was beastly. I remember buying a strategy guide and still getting lost in it.

When I replayed the game a couple years ago, though, the dungeon seemed really easy. But jeez, I had to work up so much courage when I first went through it. It took me three days to prepare and 3 hours to get through it. :p

Was the MM Water Temple the one where you had to find the Zora eggs in the Gerudo fortress? My memory is a little hazy. I may have to break out MM again soon actually. :E

Sort of. You had to go to the Gerudo Pirate fort (which was awesome - not a patch on the OoT fort, but as an environment in a art and design sense it was just as good), get the eggs then you could proceed on to the temple itself.

While its true that the Legend of Zelda franchise is formulaic, it is still a very good formula that deserves repeating. They change just enough from game to game to make it interesting, but keep that same, awesome Zelda gameplay of mastering one dungeon after another in a massive overworld. The original Legend of Zelda was the first game I ever played, and I have been a fan ever since. Zelda II sucked precisely because they deviated from the formula and added bullshit like "random encounters" and side-scrolling. It simply wasn't Zelda. The gameboy versions of Zelda have continued that awesome 2D formula. Zelda III was undoubtedly the best Legend of Zelda, and to me, it really defines the series, as every other Zelda game after it has drawn on its art, lore, and basic game overlay of "themed" dungeons (or "Temples").

OOT was brilliant, but in my opinion a bit overrated. Majoras Mask was just OOT except ****ing hard. Wind Waker's art style was very similar to that of Zelda III, which I think was a good thing, but the characters were a bit too...how shall I put it? Japanese. In Zelda III they were all pixelated, so you couldn't make out the Anime style. Twighlight Princess was a mix of Wind Waker and OOT, and was a welcome return to OOT's art style and overworld look.

While its true that the Legend of Zelda franchise is formulaic, it is still a very good formula that deserves repeating. They change just enough from game to game to make it interesting, but keep that same, awesome Zelda gameplay of mastering one dungeon after another in a massive overworld. The original Legend of Zelda was the first game I ever played, and I have been a fan ever since. Zelda II sucked precisely because they deviated from the formula and added bullshit like "random encounters" and side-scrolling. It simply wasn't Zelda. The gameboy versions of Zelda have continued that awesome 2D formula. Zelda III was undoubtedly the best Legend of Zelda, and to me, it really defines the series, as every other Zelda game after it has drawn on its art, lore, and basic game overlay of "themed" dungeons (or "Temples").

OOT was brilliant, but in my opinion a bit overrated. Majoras Mask was just OOT except ****ing hard. Wind Waker's art style was very similar to that of Zelda III, which I think was a good thing, but the characters were a bit too...how shall I put it? Japanese. In Zelda III they were all pixelated, so you couldn't make out the Anime style. Twighlight Princess was a mix of Wind Waker and OOT, and was a welcome return to OOT's art style and overworld look.
Aw c'mon! I liked snot-nosed kid! And loner-goron!

Back