Playing HL and OP4 again

Stryyder

Reaction score
Just to kill some time until HL2 is released, I have been playing the original single player HL and OP4 via STEAM.

Love these games I really would suggest if you haven't played them in a while to do so. Bring back some great memories.

Also it may keep some of you from DL the 'beta' and playing it.

Me too, playing HL, OP4 and Blue Shift to go over the plot again and see if I missed anything.

i have a problem with playing SP...

i started playing it a few weeks ago (i don't play it every day and when i do its no more than about 40 mins) and everything was fine..

then i upgraded to Win XP (was running Win 98 before) and copied my saved files onto a cd, formatted HD and then installed HL and Steam..

anyway, now when i load any of those save files, i don't have the HUD.. meaning, i can't see how much health and armor i have and can't see how much ammo i have.. and also it does not show up when i pick up a new gun, ammo, armor and health..

i started a new game.. and encountered an error i never seen before.. when i go and put on the HEV suit for the very first time in the game, it gives this "start volume=335" error and exits back to my desktop.

any help plz? anyone else getting this?

I've been playing OpFor again recently, but plan to play Half Life again soon. I don't have Blue Shift though - is it worth getting?

I actually prefer some of the action in OpFor (to the orginal) but I still prefer the original. I can remember wondering at one point in HL "How is this going to finish?" as it was so exciting and drew you into an-almost-real world. To be honest though, I was a little bit disappointed with Xen. (I bought a shoot-em-up not a jumping game) but the opening part of HL (on the tram, day at work then the accident) and the closing unsettling ending with the G-Man making you an offer you can't refuse (am I on the side of good or not?) are excellent and leave you wanting more.

Blue shift is okay, it doesn't really introduce many new things but it does deepen the plot and show you how the scientists escaped from Black Mesa. I hear.:E

Originally posted by OCV
I've been playing OpFor again recently, but plan to play Half Life again soon. I don't have Blue Shift though - is it worth getting?

Depends, I found it a bit short a game for the price. Saying that it was entertaining for a few hours and fun seeing things from yet another angle. Though there was room for improvement, if you can find it in some bargin bin somewhere or going for a few dollars its worth getting. Best bit of BS is it came with a high-def pack for HL, Op4 and BS which you could install to improve some of the sounds and models. I'm currently hoping Valve release another one of those packs with really high quality textures and models and so on. I'm sure I said that in another thread, anyhoo would be great.

oh great now I'm gonna end up playing Op4 and BS again, grrr :p

Originally posted by Dr. Freeman

i started playing it a few weeks ago (i don't play it every day and when i do its no more than about 40 mins) and everything was fine..

then i upgraded to Win XP (was running Win 98 before) and copied my saved files onto a cd, formatted HD and then installed HL and Steam..

anyway, now when i load any of those save files, i don't have the HUD.. meaning, i can't see how much health and armor i have and can't see how much ammo i have.. and also it does not show up when i pick up a new gun, ammo, armor and health..

i started a new game.. and encountered an error i never seen before.. when i go and put on the HEV suit for the very first time in the game, it gives this "start volume=335" error and exits back to my desktop.

Sometimes when I am playing MP CS that happens to me for no apparent reason.

I have been playing HL, OP4 and blue shift all the days.

This games still rox.

Originally posted by Dr. Freeman

It's a known issue with the HEV suit. Just make sure you haven't turned the HEV volume up beyond the default, and you should be fine.

Thanks for the info Fenric, will check and see if any other threads mention Blue Shift and whether or not it's worth buying. I think now it's only available as part of the Half-Life collectors edition pack together with the original game and OpFor.

Or I might just save my money up for the sequel....

I just played through hl again. grand game :)
Played it through in 2 days and its still a really solid game, quite remarkable really.

Oh and to the guy with the XP problems, I had the same problem exactly, then i just updated HL and it worked like a charm!

I am busy with hl1, but i need to get my hands on blue shift and op4 again. I sold my op4 because it didn't want to install anymore :-/. Yes it was original...

Originally posted by Mcn@sty
I am busy with hl1, but i need to get my hands on blue shift and op4 again. I sold my op4 because it didn't want to install anymore :-/. Yes it was original...

OP4 is free with STEAM just install STEAM and input your HL1 cd key.

since i finished hl, bs, op4 on every different skill setting several times,
i now play single player mods but my favorite mod at this time is SVEN-CoOp, try it, its really NICE!

Try the Counter-Life mod, it was really amazing imo. You get to play the Half-Life single player game with the weaponry from CS. You get money from killing monsters and can use it to buy weapons/armour etc from those energy outlets that you used to recharge the HEVsuit with in the original.

I can't really tell you how fun it was to run around blasting aliens with a desert eagle or an ak-47... or to have some grunts throw a couple of flashbangs to make you blind and then come get you. :)

I definitely recommend trying it.

Originally posted by prsearle
It's a known issue with the HEV suit. Just make sure you haven't turned the HEV volume up beyond the default, and you should be fine.

i didn't know that.. well anyway, oddly SP started working fine just today.. no problems whatsoever.. and i did not touch the HEV volume today although i do admit to changing the volume after i installed Steam..

hmm.. weird.. but hey it works now and im gonna clear SP again soon :)

Mmm Yup! I been playing HL SP, OPF, and BS all over again, done HL and OF, working on BS now, got a friend to lend it too me (wooo!) Great great great games, allthough I think BS is kinda lacking, OF is wonderfull though

I think BS was supposed to act as a closure device. I really wonder why they didn't make a Black Ops expansion. But maybe that would have given too much of the story away before HL2 :E.

So what happened to the Black Mesa facility after all was said and done? Did the demolition team show up soon after? :)

I'm pretty sure BMRF was vapourised in a nuclear explosion. I think it happens at the end of Blue Shift, though I haven't played that far.

Actually... has it been discussed before where the Black Mesa was supposed to be located? The accents of the scientists and marines seemed to be American, so I'd assume somewhere in US... The terrain outside the BM seemed to be a desert... So.... Where? Nevada? :)

Iv only played HL so could someone plz tell me, what do you learn about the story in Op4 and Blueshift?

Basically that the scientists have known about the alien world on the other side of the portals for a long time. And that something on the other side of the portals doesn't like the fact that the science teams were just waltzing around nicking things. In OP4 we see that there may be two different alien races, in opposition to each other. Blue Shift shows us how the scientists escape from BM. We learn almost nothing about the G-Man.

In OP4 you play Adrian Shepherd, a marine; in BS you play Barney Calhoun, a security guard who will also be in HL2.

Originally posted by Nightmare
Iv only played HL so could someone plz tell me, what do you learn about the story in Op4 and Blueshift?

if u haven't played Opposing Force, then ur really missing out man.. even Blue Shift was fun (it was short tho.. but fun!!)

i'd reccommend u find a copy of Opposing Force at least, if not Blue Shift as well and play it for urself.. anything we tell u will be an injustice to the game and the HL story..

anyway, none of the HL games and stories have disappointed me, in fact if u were to ask me to pick a fav, i couldn't do that :)

Like someone said before, OP4 is free over Steam if you have an HL1 CD key. So get that, it's great. I believe Erik Johnson said that Blue Shift is coming on to Steam, so you could wait for that, but I would buy it because knowing Valve they'll take a long time.

Blue Shift is 3 hours of playing.

I bought it for the HD Pack.

Still very good though.

Where does Uplink come into the story... or wasn't it part of the HL storyline?

I have also begun playing HL again.

Brian Damage - Thats the most odd part, i dont think that its a part of the storyline or anything like that...

Originally posted by Brian Damage
Where does Uplink come into the story... or wasn't it part of the HL storyline?
Uplink has nothing to do with the HL storyline. It was just a set of levels that ended up being cut. Although the filenames used indicate that it was originally c3a1, before "Forget About Freeman" replaced it.

Originally posted by Brian Damage
So what happens in it?
It starts of with a black screen, then some text appears:
SUBJECT:
GORDON FREEMAN, Ph.D.

CURRENT LOCATION:
LAMBDA REACTOR COMPLEX
BLACK MESA RESEARCH FACILITY

TIME:
CONTAINMENT FAILURE + 48.00 HRS

EVALUATION IN PROGRESS
Then it fades into the game. You're in a large control room that has three exits: a locked door (that you presumably just came through), a locked elevator, and a blast door. A panl next to the blast door indicates that it won't open until a signal is sent to the USNRC (United States Nuclear Regulatory Authority?).

When you reach the end of the room, a barney and a scientist start talking:
B: Open up the reactor complex so we can get down to safety.
S: I'm sorry, but those doors will not open until we send the all-clear.
B: Send it already!
S: I would love to do that, but the ariel bombardment has made a wreck of my transmitter. The cables are severed. We'd have to aim it by hand, and I'm getting high radiation levels in the transmittor dome. Nobody but a fool would go in there.
B: What about this guy?
S: Yes... you could survive in that suit of yours. Very well, I will lower security on the satellite access elevator and you can go up into the dome. I'll try to help you over the intercom.
The you go up the elevator into the next level. Barney plays his (unused in the main game) draw-but-don't-shoot animation as the lift opens.

The next level gets you the crowbar and you bash your way through some crates, only to encounter headcrabs. An abandoned security booth gets you the pistol, and if you can find your way into the vent system you get the shotgun. Sneak your way past some tripmines and you encounter the military. There's lots of them, and they have airstrikes, manned turrets (rpg launchers as well as bullets). Fight your way past them to get to the transmitter. It looks a lot like a space obserbatory.

The third level takes place in the dome. It features radioactive waste, repelling marines, and an escape through the waste tunnels back to the second level. This is now infestest wil those lighting-aliens (vortigaunts?) who do battle with newly-arrived troops. Once you arrive back in the first level, you see that the blast door is open. You can lead barney and the scientist through itno the lambda complex. It's badly damaged: scorch marks and broken beams. There's also some zombies who try to trap you, and two houndeyes to make things interesting. You then have to leave barney and co behind to crawl through some vents. When you come out, there's a close call with a barnacle, then a gargantua walks past behind a wall. You crawl through some more vents, then fall into a room where the gargantua is killing barneys and breaking things. The gman is visible walking into an exit. The gargantua comes to attack you, then the screen fades to black. The following text appears, and you're booted back to the man menu:
CURRENT EVALUATION:
UPLINK COMPLETED.

REQUIRE FURTHER DATA.

I read an interview a while back with one of the guys at valve where he said that Uplink was originally going to be the enterence to the Lambda complex and the scientist betrayed you after you aligned the transmitter, but I guess that never made it in.

Fascinating...

You're one hard working fella, prsearle. Thanks.

Hey, did anybody follow Gordon through the portal in OP4? How's that message you get, funny or what:LOL:?

I followed him through lots of times; if you fire an MP-5 grenade at the right moment you see him explode into giblets as you fall down :p

Makes me wonder whether Nihilanth new Freeman was coming to kill him, because when Shephard jumps through a few moments later, you don't hear him saying "Sheeeephaaaard" :>

Heheh i followed.

Name: Ad Shephard.
Stauts: Evaluation Terminated.

Tried to creat a dimensional portal bla bla i don't remember...

Back