Playing HL and OP4 again

Is there any real difference between the retail versions and the Steam versions of the game, Should i bother downloading them when i already have them on CD???

Carnage

Originally posted by Brian Damage
"Subject attempted to create a temporal paradox"

temporal paradox?? what did you do to get that message??

Like I said, that's the message you get when you try to follow Gordon through the portal in Opposing Force. You also wind up falling a long way...:E

Yes, it is. That one line spurred me to begin studying Temporal Theoretics. Thanks to what the democrats call a "violent game, that promotes violence," I've learned so much more. Ever since I studied that subject I've been able to disprove a lot of people, in social debates. It feels quite good to make someone look the fool. The point is OpFor rocks, and so does the study of Temporal Theoretics.

-Ghost.

The you can explain to me, GhostV, how jumping through a portal to Xen makes a temporal paradox. I was sure that TPs had something to do with time.

Um, Brian Damage, about the whole temporal paradox thing. How are we sure that Xen bit in HL happened after the main part of the game in time. Could it be that Gordon travelled back in time when he went through the portal and that when he killed the Nihilanth he actually caused the invasion of earth as the Xenians wanted revenge.

Then...if Adrian were to kill Gordon in Xen it would cause a rift in time and so a temporal paradox because the nihilanth was never killed and the xenians never invaded and...oh no I've gone cross-eyed!

(but the whole idea of a temporal paradox involves time travel. There is one example in the Grandfather Paradox where you travel back in time and kill your own Grandfather before he sires any children, which would create a paradox and you would never exist so you would never be able to go back in time and kill your own Grandfather. Sorry for the long post!)

Its fun trying to wrap ur head around the idea of temporal paradox.

Yeah, I know what they are...:E

There're supposed to be ways to get around them, though. Parallel universes, really wierd maths, etc.

I reckon they just put it in because it sounded cool.:)

Sorry, I'm a spack when it comes to Physics - is the temporal paradox that if Shephard goes through the portal and kills Freeman, he will have contradicted the end of Half Life (Freeman killing Nihilanth)? Although in theory Freeman and Shephard are there at the same time.

Or is it meant to be that as Opposing Force is the second game, it would be a temporal paradox to kill you (Gordon) from the first game (which you've already completed)? ie, It's not to do with the game story but just the order in which the games were made.

I don't think I'm making any sense here :x

I've just been replaying Half Life, and I just launched the sattelite, but this made me wonder-

What is the point of launching it? Barney mentions earlier they "need it to clean up this mess" but that's the ONE and ONLY mention of it. Wish I knew what it was for. Anyone know?

//edit: Half Life, not HL2

oh yeah that satellite thing. I think that Barney says something about the Lambda team needing it in orbit to help calculate some math or something like that. It was probably needed for some weird science work like to counteract the rotation of the earth or something to do with the portal they needed to open.

Like that stuff about temporal paradoxes I think it's in the game because it looks cool to launch a huge rocket, makes a little sense (in a weird strange science way), and you can build a series of levels around launching the great thing.

The temporal paradox stuff is there I'm sure because it seems cool and they have to figure some way to stop the player killing Gordon or the game doesn't make any sense!

i think you launch the sattelite so that you can go to xen and kill nihilanth

In the movie "The Time Machine", they worked from the theory that a temporal paradox is impossible because the future has already been written and time is self-correcting. In the story, the protagonist traveled back in time and prevented his fiance from being murdered by a thug only to watch her get run down and killed by a car. He couldn't save her in the past because she had already been killed in the future, if you can follow the logic. It's a terrible movie, but its take on the whole paradox of time travel was interesting.

Originally posted by Brian Damage
The you can explain to me, GhostV, how jumping through a portal to Xen makes a temporal paradox. I was sure that TPs had something to do with time.

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread...for days. A Temporal Paradox is when someone/something interferes with "set" events. If you interfere with an event, that must happen, time would cease to exist...according to Temporal Theoretics. I don't believe this part, however. Because of the fact that if something happens, it happens. Time is never ending...which means events in the future, are actually occurring right now, along with the past. So, you can't change an event. We can't go back and assassinate Hitler, we can't halt Stalin, etc. Time, or God, would not allow it. How it works is beyond me, but that's how it works. A Temporal Paradox isn't "real." If it were, you and I would not be here, right now.

-Ghost

P.S. I'll PM this to you, to make sure you see it. But I just wanted the Community to know, I'm sure they've porbably I was lying, and I don't know what I was saying ...I haven't even read past your response.

EDIT: Just went and read all of the post. Time Machine was not terrible...at least I didn't think so.

Maybe "terrible" is too strong a word. Perhaps "unrealized potential" is a better description.

No, in the game Opposing Force (OP4), you, as Shepard, witness Gordon Freeman jumping into the teleporter on his way to Xen. If you ever managed to jump into the teleporter after him or even killed Freeman, the game would end with a message stating that Shepard had created "a temporal paradox".

Originally posted by GhostValkyrie
So, you can't change an event. We can't go back and assassinate Hitler, we can't halt Stalin, etc. Time, or God, would not allow it. How it works is beyond me, but that's how it works.

I'll try and explain how that would (theoretically) happen. If you went back in time and killed Hitler and Stalin, you would would be born later on in a world where nobody had known about Hitler and Stalin. You would've never heard of Hitler or Stalin, so you wouldn't go back in time to kill them. Wierd, I know. Nobody can really tell what would happen if you tried, but there would be a paradox. Unless the state of the universe in every second still exists even when it has passed, but that's a different theory altogether.

Originally posted by ElFuhrer
I'll try and explain how that would (theoretically) happen. If you went back in time and killed Hitler and Stalin, you would would be born later on in a world where nobody had known about Hitler and Stalin. You would've never heard of Hitler or Stalin, so you wouldn't go back in time to kill them. Wierd, I know. Nobody can really tell what would happen if you tried, but there would be a paradox. Unless the state of the universe in every second still exists even when it has passed, but that's a different theory altogether.

You couldn't be more wrong. If Hitler had never existed, how could you have gone back to kill him? Think about it.

-Ghost.

if someone killed hitler, we would not know about him. nobody would have knowledge of the name hitler except the people who knew him or heard of him back when he got killed. If you stopped Pearl Harbor then the US would have stood by and watched WWII. It would be like all we knew was a war happened somewhere in the world and we weren't involved. If you killed hitler and traveled back you would know about him, nobody else would know what you were talking about. you would know, or at this point think, that hitler killed a lot of people. you would be the only one. If I stopped barney (stupid kid show, not the 1337 security guard with infinite ammo) from airing then they would have come up with something else, i would be the only one who knew about the episodes that would have been made, nobody else.

Keep in mind this is theory. I find myself surprisingly good at theorizing scientific crap like this after reading what people already know.

Theres my two cents. Quote me if you wish except this last line.

L8Z

-=[Super]=-

This next statement is true.
The previous statement is false.

*ouch

Originally posted by GhostValkyrie
You couldn't be more wrong. If Hitler had never existed, how could you have gone back to kill him? Think about it.

-Ghost.

Uh, yeah, that's exactly what I said.

Here is a great example of a temporal paradox

Consider the following odd scenario. In 1966 Jennifer, an orphaned
girl of 16, meets a vagabond, Roger, along the road. They start talking, and after a
while Jennifer seems to be pregnant. Roger disappears without her knowing his
name. Nine months later, due to complications with the birth, Jennifer needs to
change sex. Her child is also robbed from the hospital. Twenty years later Jennifer,
now known as Roger, is poor and survives as vagabond. In 1986 in a bar, after a
couple of drinks, Roger tells his story to the bartender, who has got an
interesting proposition: he gives Roger the opportunity to travel back in time and take
revenge on the vagabond that made him/her pregnant. Therefore he has to join the
secret organization of time travellers. Roger accepts, but when he arrives in 1966,
he meets a girl, Jennifer. He makes her pregnant, doesn't find the vagabond and
begins a bar. He joins the secret organization of time travellers and talks to the
vagabond in 1986. The bartender disappears and travels to 9 months after 1966 to
steal Jennifer's child, a girl, out of the hospital so
Jennifer doesn't have to raise it on
her own. He brings her 16 years back in time, to 1950, where he leaves her in an
orphanage.

An odd paradox, because Jennifer is her own mother, father, grandma, grandpa, son, daughter, grandson and
granddaughter.

Trippy hey

Sorry if thats off-topic, but hey, it really, really makes you think

Sparta, interesting use of the time paradox stuff. Yeah you can look at working out ways of how time travel affects stuff. I'm not too convinced that people who change sex can still, uh, make babies (I'm not a scientist)- but the central concept that time travel can really ruin your life still holds!

As for the Temporal Paradox if you kill Gordon Freeman in Opposing Force (or even just follow him into the Xen portal), I now think the whole idea was done for a joke and to sound cool. But it could perhaps have important things for Half-Life 2 (time travel?)...though I think that is another thread.

Sparta: how does a biological woman (even post-sex change) conceive a child with another woman?

Isn't it interesting how a little aside turns into two pages of off-topicness?

I am still on level2 HL1.

Dam this is hard man, When I played the game back 3000 days ago, it was very easy to beat now its dam hard. mmmmmmm interesting.

Originally posted by ElFuhrer
I'll try and explain how that would (theoretically) happen. If you went back in time and killed Hitler and Stalin, you would would be born later on in a world where nobody had known about Hitler and Stalin. You would've never heard of Hitler or Stalin, so you wouldn't go back in time to kill them.
This is where science fiction's fondness of parallel timelines comes into play. In that theory, when you alter your own past, you spin that timeline off into a unique direction, one where Hitler and Stalin never rose to power. You still have memory of the events that happened in your timeline, but you will now exist in an alternate timeline where the future will play out differently. Douglas Adams theorized that there are infinite timelines where exists every possible permutation of universal history.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
Douglas Adams theorized that there are infinite timelines where exists every possible permutation of universal history.

So do a lot of scientists. No, really. It's a major aspect of Quantum Physics.

Me Mr. Nerdy Geek!:E

Edit: GJaaGular, I would love to know what you are on. It would mean great things for the fields of medicine and biology.

Originally posted by Mountain Man
In the movie "The Time Machine", they worked from the theory that a temporal paradox is impossible because the future has already been written and time is self-correcting. In the story, the protagonist traveled back in time and prevented his fiance from being murdered by a thug only to watch her get run down and killed by a car. He couldn't save her in the past because she had already been killed in the future, if you can follow the logic. It's a terrible movie, but its take on the whole paradox of time travel was interesting.

That doesn't make sense, because, even though she was killed, the rest of the events were altered. For instance, he killed the thug that wanted to kill her (don't know if he did, but let's say he did), in the original timeline the thug killed another old lady after he killed the main characters fiance, but because the thug got killed, the old lady lives. Future changed. Or the fiance was run down by a car, that car would in the original future have never met the fiance, but now she damages his car when she got killed, car goes to the repairshop and the repairshop makes money out of it, which would have never happened if she was killed by the thug.

So even if you sat your foot down on the ground, the impact will blow away dust, your leg will interfere with the flow of oxygen or nitrogen atoms in the air, once again, future changed.

So that Timemachine explanation doesn't make sense. Multiple timelines does make a lot more sense.

I think Mountain Man is right, you would know what would happen but it wouldnt happen, that is if you changed the past. If milk drops on the floor and you travel back 10 seconds and catch it and put it back on the counter, travel 10 seconds in the future it would be on the counter. You would know it would have dropped for whatever reason, but you went back and changed it so it didnt drop. you knew it would drop. but it didnt.

Originally posted by Typhon
This next statement is true.
The previous statement is false.

*ouch

stfu... its a THEORY.... ever hear of a theory? Nobody said i was saying it was true........ i never said i proved it..... you cant prove it false or true.... stfu

Blimey Superiority, you aren't paying attention are you?

He was highlighting the fact of a paradox. The statements that he was refering to where in his own post.

Notice the word "statement", not "post".

Back