Please Help - Constant Freezing

C

codog

I hope that you wise folks can help me here. I am not the most tech savy but I can learn fast.
I have an older machine, ADM Semperon 2400+ 1.66ghz, 1gig memory, Radeon 9250, Windows XP 2002 Home Edit, SP 2. I have run HL2 before (got up to the air boat) and all was fine. I have reinstalled after a year away or so, a legit version bought at Best Buy, and find the system freezing every few minutes. I have to reboot the entire system. The game simply freezes...no error mssgs. I have checked the driver updates from the Device Mgr window and get told all are current. I know my machine is not loaded or supper fast, but I sure would like to play again. Any help sure would be great. As far as the Vid driver, I have not added the ATI update Catalyst as is seemed to be a massive 46meg and I was concerned it would be a resource hog. My current driver is dated 5/06 ver 8.252.0.0. Now I will say that under display drivers, there are 2 entries.... Radeon 9250 and Radeon 9250 Secondary. On the General Tab under on Radeon 9250 the Location is PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0 .....on the Radeon 9250 Secondary the Location is PCI bus 1, device 0, function 1. Both tabs says the device is working and no conflicts. But under the Resource tab, the Radeon 925 has 7 entries of I/O, Memory Range, and IRQ. The Secondary on has 2 entries. Do I need to Uninstall one or the other, or uninstall both and install Catalyst? Any ideas would be appreciated. Oh btw...I for got to mention I have the Creative SB Live (WDM)..that is what the Device Mgr shows anyways...and I checked the Device Mgr for any updates there too. A

Codog

Back