OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I have windows 7, what's wrong???

You probably need a patch, or you just need to un-install and re-install.

Yes. What mod is it, and what are your system specs?

Ok, sorry, I was hurried trying to get the first post in trying to get to the beach. I've tried to run a bunch of source mods. Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Day of Defeat. None of them worked. I've reinstalled them too, by deleting local content on ALL my half life stuff and re downloading from 0%

I've got a Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop
Processor: Dual Core @ 2.00GHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

I used to be able to run half life on this exact computer back when I was using Windows 7 Beta, but after upgrading, my source mods stopped working.

I used to be able to run half life on this exact computer back when I was using Windows 7 Beta, but after upgrading, my source mods stopped working.

I have no solution, but I feel for you. All of my Source games have been virtually unplayable since I upgraded to Windows 7 too, but because of stuttering.

Can anyone help? Do you need more information? Can you give more general tips? I already installed and reinstalled every game. I did not try re installing steam yet I guess. What other things could work?

Stuttering is when your dialogue/sound begins to skip or plays the same sector over and over again for some time.

You you updated your graphics card drivers fully?

Also do a google search for Windows 7 DEP (data execution protection I think?). Add hl2.exe to the exceptions - there is also a guide to do this through steam support if you can find it.

K I reinstalled steam and now it doesn't even do the "hl2.exe has stopped working" it just say's "preparing to launch portal" then the window closes and nothing happens. Using process explorer I can see hl2.exe start up as a sub process of steam, but then it closes.

Are there ANY other ideas? I've tried a ton. The error report suggested that the problem was with a certain dll, so I googled it and tried multiple solutions for how to fix it, none of which worked. Any ideas?

You've tried some of these but you'll have to go through all these I'm afraid: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7169-TIAV-5361

Have you tried disabling anti-virus?
Certain anti-virus and anti-spyware software such as Norton/Symantec, AVG 7.5, Avast, Spyware Doctor and Nod32 have been confirmed to cause game crashes with Source engine games

Disabled background programs? - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8043-EUJN-5239

From experience I've seen a lot of these problems caused by sound cards and sound drivers and conflicts so explore that fully as well. Find latest drivers or disable certain devices.

The annoying thing about this error is that it can be so many things. So it's just a case of pinpointing it. Fixing the issue shouldn't be too hard after that.

Back