Please tell me i can play Half-Life.. Please.

Kitire

Reaction score
Okay, my birthday is next week and i am hoping to get some new ram and a graphics card. I am going to purchase a 512mb sdram ram stick and a 6600gt agp x8. I also have a pentium 4 1600GHz CPU. Some people say yes, some say no, and i keep trying to contact steam to see if my CPU will work with it, and the stupid site won't let me log in.. Anyway I also have a DSL connection, so if anyone could give me some information if i can play the Source engine, or Farcry online. Thanks.

i dunno exactly how crap your processor is but im pretty sure you will be able to play it.
edit: assuming youre not dead by the time it loads

I have a 1.6 and play it fine intell and a old mx440 invidia 64 meg video card

.. Meh.. Guess that's good news. BTW skarrob, are you saying you are using an mx 400 for half-life 2..? Omg.. That thing is 40$ o_O(still using it actually from 4 years ago :(). i Heard CS:Source takes a lot less than Half-Life single player, if so will i at least be able to play with 1-4 people with my dsl?

Kitire said:
.. Meh.. Guess that's good news. BTW skarrob, are you saying you are using an mx 400 for half-life 2..? Omg.. That thing is 40$ o_O(still using it actually from 4 years ago :(). i Heard CS:Source takes a lot less than Half-Life single player, if so will i at least be able to play with 1-4 people with my dsl?
that card can only run it in dx7 mode though.

No, No, No, i am getting a 6600gt for my birthday on my other computer..

6600gt runs it beautifully, just might have problems with that processor PERHAPS

Yeah, that's what everyone is saying.. Maybe, might, probobly, perhaps, don't know, hopefully not.. So am i just going to have to take a chance or what?

you'll be able to run it, just not on high settings cuz that processor is not good enough to keep up with the graphics card

It will run alright. You just might have to put up with lag spikes when going into a new room or whatnot.

Never had the highest settings on a decent computer game in my life, So it doesn't matter that much. Oh and will i lag right when i go into a room with low settings?

Kitire said:
Never had the highest settings on a decent computer game in my life, So it doesn't matter that much. Oh and will i lag right when i go into a room with low settings?
if youre lucky.

.. Meh.. So what if i am "lucky". I get 40-50fps single player Half-Life. Will i be able to play at least a 1 on 1 match cs source online?

It ran on my dad's 1.7ghz laptop so it should be fine on yours.

Tested with:
1.7 ghz CPU
32mb video card (onboard)
256 ram
[Laptop]

--------------Results-------------
load time: 30seconds to 1 minute
FPS average: 10 ~20
Settings: Lowest

y are u comparing to hl1 it such an old engine but u will be able to play all medium hands down u will have some lag spikes and long loading times though

Last question.. Will i be able to play Source with up to 8-16 bots, with a decent frames per second? Oh yeah, almost forgot, will adding 512 or 256 mb of ram make much of a defference?

Thanks(going to bed right now, so don't expect me to respond in the next 10 hours.(yes i do sleep that long))

hmm, bots are more processor intensive rather than graphics intensive so that remains to be seen

I ran HL2 on 1024x768 with medium to high settings on my old rig which was a .....
AMD 1800+ @ 1.53 ghz
Sapphire Radeon 9600 pro
768MB

Kitire said:
Last question.. Will i be able to play Source with up to 8-16 bots, with a decent frames per second? Oh yeah, almost forgot, will adding 512 or 256 mb of ram make much of a defference?

RAM makes a substantial difference, especially in HL2 where the sound will stutter as things are cached in and out of memory. Bots are heavy on processor load- I can just about run 16 comfortably on an 3000+ 64- so I wouldn't be to hopeful.

.. Wait.. I just remembered my stupid dell 3200 can only hold 512mb of ram and not 758 or 1gb.., also the only reason my mom won't let me buy or make a new one, is because the STUPID dell employees and salesman brainwashed her into thinking it was customizable.. IDIOTS. Could i use my 512 stick on my computer that i have now, for enhanced cs 1.6 play, then use it on my custom computer *if* i pursuade my mom that the computer isn't what she thinks it is? Or does the stick need to stay in place?

When i read a negative post against me buying the card, i decide not to, then when i read another good one, i decide to buy the card, WHY must this be so damned confusing?

Get the card. You should be able to run hl2 fine. Before I upgraded to my current comp i was playing on a athlon xp 1.6ghz with 512mb ram and a radeon 9200se - had almost everything on lowest, few things on medium and got 20-30fps (long as hell load times though).

Oh and honestly your not missing much with graphics settings - before i upgraded i always thought "omg games will be so cool when i can max out the graphics". But no. I now run hl2 with everything on max and its just as fun (loading times aside) the whole "ooh its so pretty" thing doesnt last long imho.

Kitire said:
.. Wait.. I just remembered my stupid dell 3200 can only hold 512mb of ram and not 758 or 1gb.., also the only reason my mom won't let me buy or make a new one, is because the STUPID dell employees and salesman brainwashed her into thinking it was customizable.. IDIOTS. Could i use my 512 stick on my computer that i have now, for enhanced cs 1.6 play, then use it on my custom computer *if* i pursuade my mom that the computer isn't what she thinks it is? Or does the stick need to stay in place?

u should be able to but if its like a pc2100 speed i wouldnt bother and what do u mean customizable are talking about the ram?

6200TC runs hl2 fine, tho on minimal gfx 1024 768 res:p tghat has 64 meg sof ram and uses blooming sys ram aswel :p

Back