Portal Leads GDC Awards

Evo

Tank
Reaction score
Portal lead the Game Developer Choice Award nominations with five nominations! Portal has been nominated for the following awards: Best Game Design; Best Technology; Best Writing; Innovation and most importantly Game of the Year. Team Fortress 2 is nominated in the Best Visual Art award.[br]To be recognized in the Game Industry’s Only Open Peer-Based Awards is a just achievement for these two games, and here is to hoping they pick up the awards! Other Steam games in the awards include Bioshock, Call of Duty 4 and Peggle.[br]Linky.

These are the most important awards to win! We got this!

You bet your ass it will win, and win them all.

Best Technology? Oh wow. A portal which you can see through! How technologically advanced!

Best Technology? Oh wow. A portal which you can see through! How technologically advanced!

And I assume you can duplicate this technology? It's less a portal which you can see through, and more of a portal that you can see a different place through. Quite different.

I'm glad they've at least got the nominations. They deserve something.

I remember an Unreal Tournament map having a portal in it. It was a stationary protal, linking only two places on the map, but it was a portal none the less.

Many games have had portals in one way or another through time, Doom had it.
But the Portal portals (lol) are more than simply 1+1 portals. They have caluclations that decide when and how to move objecs in the way of the portal, they simulate movement of people and other things through the portal (best "easy" way to put ut for me) and what i am impressed by is the fact they decreased the "making" time of the portal (with the aforementioned calculations in the equation) from 0.5 seconds, which would make things like double jumping impossible to 0.010 seconds.

Sorry, didnt mean for the post to get that big, oh well.

OMFG!!! P0rtal/Team Fortress 2/H λ L F - L I F E ?: Episode Two are going to sweep the floor on every1 of the categories it's nominated in!!! w00t w00t!!! OMFG You forgot to mention that H λ L F - L I F E ?: Episode Two was also nominated for Best Writing in ur newspost!! u PH41|3D!!! :p

I remember an Unreal Tournament map having a portal in it. It was a stationary protal, linking only two places on the map, but it was a portal none the less.

You couldn't see through them. And you couldn't do things like shoot through them, or drop items through them.

No, there was a DM map that made use of portals. In the center of the room was a trap door, and if it opened under you, you fell through to the top of the map into an energy beam, causing instant death.

I just had UT installed recently, but I can't recall the name of the map. I'm sure the effect was limited and handled differently at the time, but it achieved roughly the same effect.

You couldn't see through them. And you couldn't do things like shoot through them, or drop items through them.
You could shoot projectiles into UT warpzones. Not sure about beam weapons.

Anyhow, the innovative bit about Portal's portals was how much freedom they offered with placement and physics, not their see-through-ability. If we really have to get into a nerd fight about this then I can go through all the new stuff they did, but I'd really prefer not to. :)

I remember one map where in one of the rooms was a portal. It was a door-frame in the middle of the floor. You could look in one side and step through it into another part of the map. You could also go behind it and see that there was no passage behind it. Yet you could walk through it! I don't think I ever tried shooting through it.

No, there was a DM map that made use of portals. In the center of the room was a trap door, and if it opened under you, you fell through to the top of the map into an energy beam, causing instant death.

I just had UT installed recently, but I can't recall the name of the map. I'm sure the effect was limited and handled differently at the time, but it achieved roughly the same effect.

Ah yeah, that's true. But as you fell so fast, and inevitably died, it would've been hard to use that technology to the same effect. I don't think you'd get the same physics from it.

Back