Porting my mod, Commando to Half Life 2.

CommandoSR

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm considering to bringing my work-in-progress C&C Renegade mod over to the Half Life 2 Source engine.

Here is some information about the project:
This Third Person Shooter mod is based on the Real Time Strategy game Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn created by Westwood Studios in year 1995.
In C&C Commando, you take the role as the soldier in the Command&Conquer battlefield.
http://www.cannis.net/commando/?c4=modinfo

Short info about the sides:
http://www.cannis.net/commando/?c4=sideinf
Global Defence Initiave: A special anti-terrorist group formed by the United Nations. Uses raw power and technology to accomplish
their mission.
The Brotherhood of Nod: A mysterious terrorist group led by a man only known as Kane. Uses stealth and defame to hinder GDI's efforts.
Story: (Read More here) http://www.cannis.net/commando/?c4=storyinf

Towards the end of the 1950'ies, the United Nations outlined the purpose of the secret Peace Corps,
and stated a number of other policies regarding its activities which are still classified today.

The Peace Corps became active under the designation of: "Operations Group Echo, Black Ops 9".
It would eventually be the ominous operation "Desert Storm" that would officially reveal the existence of
Operations Group Echo, Black Ops 9 and their purpose as a specialized international peace enforcing unit.

When the international media discovered that the attempted assassination upon Saddam Hussein by OGE, BO9
(in a covert effort to prevent the outbreak of the Gulf War) was a complete failure with the resulting in
the death of a large number of agents, OGE, BO9's first contact with the general public was a catastrophe.
Nevertheless, it wouldn't be too soon before the UN would be in the press again,
this time to officially announce the existence and purpose of the organization
and to come together one more time to rewrite the proposal of the late 1950s.

In accordance with the United Nations Global Defence Act (UNGDA), the Global Defence Initiative was founded
at the date of October 12th, 1995.
The UN proposal stated the following:
The Global Defence Initiative was founded to enforce the United Nations Global Defence Act
and uphold the ideals as outlined in the United Nations Charter.

Examples of the units in Commando:
GDI:
M1026 HMMWV ACAWW (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle Armament Carrier Armored With Winch)
GDI's fastest ground unit. Armed with the M60D 7.62mm Machine gun, it is effective against infantry and light armour targets.

X66 Mammoth Heavy Tank
GDI's most heavily armoured fighting vehicle. This prototype is equipped with a Self-Test and Repair system, allowing it to repair itself up to 50% of its total strength. With its immense mass, dual 120mm cannons and 75mm Tusk rockets, it is able to blow through even most fortified bases without taking damage.

Nod:
Raptor Attack Cycle
The Raptor attack cycle provides rapid, short-range deployment. Using both rockets and machine guns, the cycle gives great flexibility when destroying troops or civilians.

Devil’s Tongue Incinerator Tank
When strategy calls for total short-range annihilation with minimum exposure, the Devil's Tongue Incinerator Tank is the choice. No infantry or light armoured target can stand against its dual flame cannons.

Tiberium Harvester
The Harvester collects raw Tiberium and then transports it to refineries for processing. Tiberium is used to earn credits in Command & Conquer.

Eletronic Arts owns the C&C license, but it is known that EA does not care as long no profit is made from the title.

Yes. For example, it has better ranking than Wolfenstein: Enemy Terrority on ModDb.

The reason I'm going for Source is that it allows do a lot more things than Renegade's 4 year old engine.

I would like to know what are your first impressions on this mod.
Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

Update: This mod is no longer called C&C Commando, just simply Commando.

CommandoSR said:
Eletronic Arts owns the C&C license, but it is known that EA does not care as long no profit is made from the title.

No, it's assumed that EA don't care. For example, EA just recently shut down a System Shock mod for Doom 3.

Hmm.. that's too bad. PS: Could you edit the first post to say just "Commando" instead of "Command & Conquer Commando"?
I don't like the 15 minute limit for editing posts.

Pi Mu Rho said:
No, it's assumed that EA don't care. For example, EA just recently shut down a System Shock mod for Doom 3.
You got the same problem for your mod tho ;)

hmmmm, no offense. But don't post so much. 3 posts in a row is a little stupid. I wouldn't be suprised if a moderator warned you.

Speak to Dante. I'm just a level designer/modeller.

M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System model:
Model: TheGodZero
Unwrap: TheGodZero
post-32-1096019737.jpg

You won't add an interior? And how much faces did u use? b/c it can use more detail.....

This was made way back then for Renegade. This model is about 2000 triangles.. I don't remember the exact count.
And I did not make the model. It was TheGodZero, as stated in the post.

Back