Possible Delay For Half-Life 2 Due To Sierra Closing And Vivendi's Problems?

Kschreck

Reaction score
As we all know Sierra is owned by Vivendi. Sierra is only one part of Vivendi. Sierra was going to be the publisher for Half-Life 2 and since Vivendi closed down Sierra and Vivendi having more problems such as the laying off 350 and being slapped with a huge Lawsuit

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/21/news_6101014.html (Layoffs)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/30/news_6101709.html (Lawsuit)

Will this cause a delay for Half-Life 2? Think about it, Sierra was the publisher for Half-Life 2 and now Sierra's gone and Valve has to look for a new publisher. Not to mention all the problems Vivendi is having themselves. I think soon were all about to be let down. What do you guys think?

http://www.gigex.com/general/article/?id=6956&game_id=&source=00001 (Sierra Shutdown)

Of course a pure goldmine will be a problem for needing money.

No, no and no.

Any delay caused now would be by Valve and Valve only.

Yes i agree were about to be let down.

They are going to cancel the title that is guarenteed to make millions and stay in the gaming relm for the next 6 years.

In fact, the flagship game for all of those companys at the moment.

GREAT INSIGHT!

How are my lotto numbers this week....

This reminds of those stock brokers which gave the advise:
Don't invest in this new thing, its not gonna last, trust me. I happen to know alot about these things. They are gonna go bankrupt soon and you'll lose all your money. Trust me. Who invests in something called 'Micorsoft' anyway?

"Now Bigrosoft...that company is going places...."

Kschreck said:
As we all know Sierra is owned by Vivendi. Sierra is only one part of Vivendi. Sierra was going to be the publisher for Half-Life 2 and since Vivendi closed down Sierra and Vivendi having more problems such as the laying off 350 and being slapped with a huge Lawsuit

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/21/news_6101014.html (Layoffs)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/30/news_6101709.html (Lawsuit)

Will this cause a delay for Half-Life 2? Think about it, Sierra was the publisher for Half-Life 2 and now Sierra's gone and Valve has to look for a new publisher. Not to mention all the problems Vivendi is having themselves. I think soon were all about to be let down. What do you guys think?

http://www.gigex.com/general/article/?id=6956&game_id=&source=00001 (Sierra Shutdown)

I doubh it however, if you remember a while back when Crytek studios was raided by the police, the game was still released, regarless of Crytek's pending legal woes. To be honest, i would love HL2 to be delayed again, just to witness the fanboys reactions, nonethless, as much as they disgust me, i would prefer much more for the game to be released soon. :rolling:

yeah i mean, im sure other publishers will be far too busy to concern themselves with a multi-milllion(possibly billion) dollar contract with valve..:p

im sure that if vivendi does shut down, valve will hand the game to activision.

"Lets hope nothing happens to our Half Life 2!" - CS Central

Striker said:

Hey how did you know that? :smoking:

The title of the thread was promising :p

Striker said:
Or they just release it on Steam

They cant do a steam only release, it would slice away a massive chunk of sales.

urseus said:
They cant do a steam only release, it would slice away a massive chunk of sales.

Steam means online on the internet, think of those who dont even have internet....

When contacted today, VU Games staff declined to comment, saying it was company policy not to comment on pending litgation.

what a bunch of greedy w***ers . I hate big buisness, everyones as bad as each other at some point... its the middle classes that get b**ch slapped at the end of the day.

Totally selfish and uncalled for.

Blasphemy! Half-Life 2 will have to be out on time or i'll have to shoot someone..

Striker said:

I don't think they will hand it to anyone.

They might give the publishing rights Activision, but i doubt they will give the rights to the game to activision.

A major game - Ground control II was released just a couple of days ago by VU even with all this crap going on. So no, I don't think it's going to effect HL2's position.

Imagine you wake up on a beatiful sunny day, and you're watching the HL 2 E32004 Bink new videos and then you visit the Official site of Half Life 2 and it appears in the main page: Thanks for all the community, but because of publisher problems the game has been canceled.

Oh my Gosh, first the Release date and Leaking fiascos, now this =[ ... The Legend ends up in late summer =[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

wrong thread? lol .. ooo, that looks like a site error.

edit: lmao, nice edit

In addition to World of Warcraft, VU Games' 2004 release schedule includes the likes of Crash Twinsanity, Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude, The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, Van Helsing, Ground Control II: Operation Exodus, Fight Club, and Spyro: A Hero's Tail.

Have you noticed Halflife2 isn't in the list

lol

Sierra was a deptartment for VU, they simply closed it, but HL2 is still VU. Sierra just became VU.

killer916 said:
I hope half-life 2 isn't canceled... That would be a nightmare!

HL2 belongs to Valve.. VU cancel it. Valve will just have to hurry or find a new publisher.

grecco_diego said:
Imagine you wake up on a beatiful sunny day, and you're watching the HL 2 E32004 Bink new videos and then you visit the Official site of Half Life 2 and it appears in the main page: Thanks for all the community, but because of publisher problems the game has been canceled.

Oh my Gosh, first the Release date and Leaking fiascos, now this =[ ... The Legend ends up in late summer =[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
dont even say that. I just recovered from the mere thought of this. :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:

The reason for mentioning activision is because valve has signed a deal with them for future projects.

None of this affects Half-Life 2. It will still be published under the Sierra name as well.

Valve=developers
Sierra=Publisher of HL1
Vivendi=HL2 Publishers

Sierra doesn't factor into this at all except they might use the name when they publish.

Sandler said:
HL2 belongs to Valve.. VU cancel it. Valve will just have to hurry or find a new publisher.

If VU cancels HL2, and Valve wants to find a new publisher, they will have to change name. Unless a clause is in the contract that prohibits any part to stop Half-Life for being released.

rofl....cancel it.....ahahaahahahahahah....riiiiight...

The quicker they release it, the more money they will have to pay off the people sueing them....

If Half-Life 2 is being DEVELOPED by Valve, and PUBLISHED by VU.... what the hell was Sierra doing anyway? lol

Green Goo said:
If Half-Life 2 is being DEVELOPED by Valve, and PUBLISHED by VU.... what the hell was Sierra doing anyway? lol
I think that they were still the publisher, but they were just in VU hands now.

And now it just exists as a brand. So it will probably still have the logo in new games, unless they get shut down after those 5 projects or so they have publishing.

November? Blasphemy... *starts shaking violently and rocking back and forth*
"Its coming out in september" I whisper lowly over, and over...

Back