Possible to play the game without music via steam?

Reaction score
Thinking back to HL1, I liked to play the game without the CD in as I liked the silence. It seemed much more immersive to me that way...

Now I've downloaded HL2 and am eagerly awaiting the final pre-loads, but was wondering whether I'll be able to enjoy it 'music-less' via steam? After all, there is no CD to put it the player. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure there'll be an option to turn off music in the options, just as there was in the original.

I never heard the music in HL...I just thought it came without music.

Adding "-nocdaudio" to your steam launch options will take care of that for you.

I guess you never wondered why there was a "CD volume" slider in the original Half-Life then. :p

Bet there will be a music volume option in the menu.

The steam version plays the music with the mp3 files in the folder... they are 48k quality though :(:(:(

you can change in audio options 'mp3 volume' though, lol i actually wanted the music because i had to play in silence in the pre-steam days because my cd drive cocked up. :)

Music made half-life so much better .. it made me replay it ALOT of times..

The music fits the maps perfectly, like mysterious music in Xen, or adrenaline music with marine- encounters, etc :)

For those who have played without music before, shove your CD in/ Start HL single in steam and start a new game. Go through to the part where you get the hazard suit. Head back toward the lab and listen :)

The thing that concerns me is the people that have had HL for 6 years have needed the CD in the drive to play up until Steam was integrated.

Either you all own a copy but you still like using no-CD hacks or you're all pirates. Yarr.

Chris_D said:
The thing that concerns me is the people that have had HL for 6 years have needed the CD in the drive to play up until Steam was integrated.

Either you all own a copy but you still like using no-CD hacks or you're all pirates. Yarr.

Shiver me timbers, he's on to us!

;) :D

Yarrr indeed. Actually, I think you'll find you can take the CD out after loading. Well actually, I know you can, because I've done it.

Will send you a pick of my CD case if you don't believe I own it :p

Pirate!!! Ban abn ban ban1!11 :O

Hehe, I believe you :)

Yeah so I assume HL2 will be using MP3s like the Steam version of HL1 etc. and there'll be a volume slider. Simple :)

Chris_D said:
I never did...

Chris_D said:
Pirate!!! Ban abn ban ban1!11 :O

Hehe, I believe you :)

Yeah so I assume HL2 will be using MP3s like the Steam version of HL1 etc. and there'll be a volume slider. Simple :)

Chris you GOIT, I got an email notification which just read "Pirate!!! Ban abn ban ban" posted by you. Bastard.

*Wanders off and trys to reduce heart rate from humming bird to at least mouse...*

Varsity said:
I never did...
The CD is required to play prior to the Steam versions :|
Link said:
Chris you GOIT, I got an email notification which just read "Pirate!!! Ban abn ban ban" posted by you. Bastard.

*Wanders off and trys to reduce heart rate from humming bird to at least mouse...*
/me laughs :LOL:

I don't think I ever had the cd in to play it, and I have a real copy. Maybe I just never noticed the music.

omfg! HL1 has music? Oh dude... 6 years and I didn't know that? :(

Theres the obvious "turn speakers off" or "pull out headphones" solutions :p

Link said:

:LOL:
pwned yet today? ;)

Back