Possible Update Today?

H

horridge8

If you check out http://www.steampowered.com/status/status.html
you will see that the available bandwith went way down earlier today. Like many of the updates this indicated steam was probably uploading files onto their servers and there would be an update very soon. Today being Wednesday also could prove this to be true, Wednesday is usually the day of the week most updates were released. I'm sure many other people have noticed this as well.
:thumbs:

can we please stop these kinda nonesense threads? it just gets people's hopes up.

Doesn't get my hopes it just annoying. It's like starting a thread that says "Hey, tonight there might be a full moon, cause like when it gets dark you can see the moon and like last month around this time there was this like full moon and so I am thinking that tonight might like be totally the day for another full moon, what do you guys think?"

from what I have seen the steam bandwidth thing IS a decent indicator of something happening..
maybe not for today,but for tomorrow possibly..who knows...
some people have apparently studied the bandwidth status for hours/days and this seems to be a fairly accepted theory on update signs..

T.H.C.138 said:
some people have apparently studied the bandwidth status for hours/days and this seems to be a fairly accepted theory on update signs..

There is a theory to this now? There are people that study it for hours/days? OMG do you teach this class? So theres something coming out? Who cares, you turn on steam and it will dl it automatically if it is for a game you own. What is the point of speculating when that day is?

WHOA!!! easy tiger!!
I guess this topic hurts you or something...
anyway,I have seen (as I am sure you have) many people state something of this nature
about the bandwidth fluctuations and most of the time within a day or two,lo and behold...STEAM UPDATE..
I don't watch the status page consantly myself,but I am sure that somone has otherwise how would people know
that there is a difference in the bandwidth usage prior to an update,etc.?
BTW,what is the point of raining on someone elses hopes? if you don't care about the topic don't read it or post in it..
you just seem abnormally angry with me and the topic here in general...

I think I should start a picture collection of Steam graphs so that I can prove to you that Steam updates do happen when the graph goes all weird.

Cool. I should click the "monitor" button more often. That's a question, how comes the monitor function isn't in the main steam startup page thing? It has lots of other buttons.

Couldn't also be downloads, not uploads, that cause these fluxuations. Also, why would, say, a 30mb file cause fluxuations in the bandwidth of a server that's meant to be sooooo large and fast and stuff?

If you actually study the bandwidth meter you will see that it goes in waves all day.

Now the bandwidth went up again then slightly down, but that happened every other day too.
No indication.

well i just got an update. a steam platform update. maybe you should try restarting steam.

I restarted Steam and it did a Steam Update.
Steam Update Released
October 12, 2004, 7:08 pm · valve
An update to the Steam client has just been released. Steam will update itself automatically when you restart. Servers will need to be restarted. Here is a list of the changes:

STEAM CHANGES:
* Fixed rcon packet exploit

yes that is the update from last night, but this time it was a steam platform update that was just released, im still trying to figure out what it did...

:p thats to the people who thought my post was stupid, it was just a prediction, it just seems the bandwith of the steam servers drops the same way before an update

Yah - nice sleuthing. :thumbs:
I just got the update too... now to figure out what it was. :)

Back