Post your tweaks here

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
post your tweaks here

dev posted at shacknews:

DISCLAIMER: Use at your own risk. Back up your Oblivion.ini first. Please do not request official troubleshooting support with any changes to your .ini file. Consider these to be just from a fan playing the game. You guys are smart and know all this, just cma again

Here are some tweaks I play with:

uGridDistantTreeRange=15
raise to increase area in which LOD tree billboards are drawn - looks quite nice doubled if your comp. can take it

uGridDistantCount=25
raise to increase the number of LOD tree billboards drawn - looks quite nice doubled if your comp. can take it

uGridsToLoad=5
raise to increase the X/Y dimension of the number of high detail exterior cells loaded - should be an odd number, 3 or greater. This is quite a performance hit with anything above 5. If there are 25 cells loaded at a time with a value of 5, then there are 49 cells loaded with a value of 7 and so on. I would not recommend going above 7 or 9, but terrain looks nicer if your comp can take it

bAllowScreenShot=0
set to 1 to allow the PrintScreen key to take screenshots

bFull Screen=1
0 = windowed, 1 = fullscreen

iSize W=640
iSize H=480
current screen resolution

bUseWaterReflectionsMisc=0
bUseWaterReflectionsStatics=0
bUseWaterReflectionsTrees=0
bUseWaterReflectionsActors=0
set these to 1 to allow these kinds of objects to reflect in water

fDlgFocus=2.1000
raise to pull camera back some in dialogue - I use a value of 4 or so

bForceFullLOD=0
a value of 1 forces foreground trees to always render at the highest detail - I haven't found this to be a huge performance hit for the visual benefit, your mileage may very

iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=2
raise to allow more unique grass types per terrain texture - 4 should be enough to let you see everything possible

CTRL + ALT + Delete

"Processes" tab and "Set Priority" for Oblivion process to high. Works on every full screen application. ;)

Problems with mouse speed and framerates? not anymore :D

DISABLE vertical synch (default is on).
Instant improvement.

Ha! I NEVER use vsync...it has a tendency to blow. Learned that with Thief 3. :E

I don't think you really need the grid units inrease if you have textures set to high. It looks bad in screenshots, but I haven't seemed to notice it so far.

That water mod on page 5 makes it look so much better. Can't believe they didn't do that to begin with!

There are a lot of miracle fixes out there for performance, but none of them seem to work for me. Instead, I've found it's best to accept the fact that in most cases, if you want better performance, you're going to have to make tradeoffs in image quality. The question is, what kind of tweaks will give you the best image/performance ratio?

I've found that outdoor performance is bogged down extensively by the grass. But the grass looks great, so it's hard to justify turning down the grass range. Instead, there's an ini tweak that reduces slightly the amount of grass per area, but I've found if used reasonably, it's hard to tell the difference.

Under the grass section in your Oblivion.ini (My Documents/My Games/Oblivion/), look for
iMinGrassSize=80
Change this to pretty much any number between 80 and 160 for a nice performance gain. I've found that 120 gives me about a 5 fps boost (which can be huge if you're dealing with a framerate in the teens), but the best image/quality ratio for me, at least is 100.

Try this out and let me know what you think.

EDIT: I see this was in the tweak guide linked above. That thing really is good. :E

hmm, been playing for a week now and it's suddenly slowed to a crawl with lots of mouse lag. all fully tweaked and played fine until i installed a better texture mod, now it's back to what it was before i switched off v-synch - fighting anything outdoors is impossible. Uninstalled the new textures but it's still just as slow.

the moral of this story is:
don't try and fix what aint broke
:|

Updated display drivers; have to redo 80% of my tweaks! :(

**** I spent 2 horus tweaking Oblivion!

CR0M said:
hmm, been playing for a week now and it's suddenly slowed to a crawl with lots of mouse lag. all fully tweaked and played fine until i installed a better texture mod, now it's back to what it was before i switched off v-synch - fighting anything outdoors is impossible. Uninstalled the new textures but it's still just as slow.

the moral of this story is:
don't try and fix what aint broke
:|
Because when you install a texture pack in this game, it permanently replaces the in-game textures until you either replace the textures again, or re-install the game.

At least thats what Morrowind does, and that would explain what you are experiencing. Find out if thats true, or just trust me and re-install it anyway and that would get you back to a playable state.

In the future, carefully read what exactly a mod does, and find out what kind of performance effect it might have first. But as a rule, I think only the texture mods cannot be reversed without re-installing the game so it uses it's original textures.

And you guys need to make back=ups of Morrowind.ini or you will end up having to re-install the game over and over. you can rename Morrowindbackup1.ini, Morrowindbackup2.ini, etc., so you can keep them in the same folder together. When you install a mod it also changes the ini file, so if you were to remove the mod becuase you didn't like it or it was buggy, you can delete the ini and rename Morrowindbackup.ini Morrowind.ini and you are ready to roll again.

Disclaimer: *i think* but am not 100% certain all of what I say will work exactly as I say it will :)

VirusType2 said:
Because when you install a texture pack in this game, it permanently replaces the in-game textures until you either replace the textures again, or re-install the game.

At least thats what Morrowind does, and that would explain what you are experiencing. Find out if thats true, or just trust me and re-install it anyway and that would get you back to a playable state.

In the future, carefully read what exactly a mod does, and find out what kind of performance effect it might have first. But as a rule, I think only the texture mods cannot be reversed without re-installing the game so it uses it's original textures.

And you guys need to make back=ups of Morrowind.ini or you will end up having to re-install the game over and over. you can rename Morrowindbackup1.ini, Morrowindbackup2.ini, etc., so you can keep them in the same folder together. When you install a mod it also changes the ini file, so if you were to remove the mod becuase you didn't like it or it was buggy, you can delete the ini and rename Morrowindbackup.ini Morrowind.ini and you are ready to roll again.

Disclaimer: *i think* but am not 100% certain all of what I say will work exactly as I say it will :)

Texture mods go into your data/textures delete them and the game will use the defaults. btw Morrowind wtf? Oblivion forum here and Oblivion has a backup .ini in it's home directory. Also oblivion doesn't store mod info in it's .ini

Having a mod active only did this in the morrowind.ini
[Game Files]
GameFile0=Bloodmoon.esm
GameFile1=Morrowind.esm
GameFile2=Tribunal.esm
GameFile3=AtmosphericSoundEffects-3.0.esp
etc

Copy your Oblivion_default.ini (where oblivion is installed) to documents and settings\username\my games\oblivion\Oblivion.ini and overwrite when prompted.

Kyo said:
Texture mods go into your data/textures delete them and the game will use the defaults. btw Morrowind wtf? Oblivion forum here and Oblivion has a backup .ini in it's home directory. Also oblivion doesn't store mod info in it's .ini

Having a mod active only did this in the morrowind.ini
[Game Files]
GameFile0=Bloodmoon.esm
GameFile1=Morrowind.esm
GameFile2=Tribunal.esm
GameFile3=AtmosphericSoundEffects-3.0.esp
etc

Copy your Oblivion_default.ini (where oblivion is installed) to documents and settings\username\my games\oblivion\Oblivion.ini and overwrite when prompted.
OH pfffffffffft, I said Morrowind but I ment Oblivion! I'm sleep walking here. Thanks for clearing that up

Hmmm so if it's not the ini, then how come when I removed a mod it screwed up my game I wonder? (Morrowind) it would say,"problem do you want to continue running the executable?" or something like that like 100 times in a row and i had to click

BTW I'm glad you guys made a save manager. The first complaint I had was when me and my brother were taking turns playing, it was erasing my saves and vice versa. Good job thanks, I'll have to download that.

update: uninstalled video driver and re-installed again, then re-installed coolbits and it's fine again. thanx anyhoo for the advice.

Any tweaks for better performance? 10 fps on the lowest settings ain't the most fun.

i found grass to be one of the worst causes of slowdown. Try cutting back on amount of grass (apparently you have to do this every time you play as it gets overwritten by the game), and if you haven't already, switch off grass shadows - this eats fps for breakfast.

Danimal said:
Everything is just sprites.
But it kills FPS, even on my computer. I did reduce the grass density to 80 and I notice very nice frames now.

*bumped from page 4 (old thread)*

OK people, I wanted to share this with you, but don't think it needs it's own thread.

Because of the way Oblivion renders the environment, this will not affect your frame-rate, but will make your game look much better (in the opinion of many)

Oblivion renders everything based on view distance settings. The fog just covers up when things pop into display, but is very obtrusive in my opinion. The fog has no affect on performance, it's purely cosmetic. Oblivion renders the graphics, then renders the fog. So if you turn it off, it still runs the same.

This will remove the blue fog, and instead, scenery will be crystal clear.

after loading up your save game, open the console by pressing the ~ button.

type this in the console. It will stay like this until you quit the game, but will not be saved in your save game or anything - in case you don't like it, just quit the game.

personally, I type it in everytime I boot up the game. Like i said you don't have to type it in again if you die, or load another save.

in the Console type

setfog 60000 999999

exactly like that

note* WRITE THAT DOWN ON PAPER SO YA DON'T FORGET :)

note* Use the correct number of digits or you won't get the desired result, although you can experiment to what you like best. you can lessen the fog so you can see better or remove by typing it in exactly.

note * setfog is one word

note * don't use commas to seperate sets of numbers

No more fog, same framerate. Looks beautiful IMO. Especially you will love this if you have distant graphics turned on, because you can see clearly the mountains an the hills all the way to the focal point. It looks much better to me regardless of any other graphics settings :)

reminds me of a tune "i can see clearly now the rain- er fog is gone. I can see all the obstacles in my way"

=========================

But it kills FPS, even on my computer. I did reduce the grass density to 80 and I notice very nice frames now.
80 is the default bro. LOL. set it to a higher number to make less grass and increase performance. set it to 120 or 140 for better performance and call me in the morning. I set it to 400 for occasional grass clumps like weeds. It's an amount about four times as frequent as trees. 1 clump of grass. Performance impact is similar to no grass at all, except that I have some :)

oblivion.ini
Code:
iMinGrassSize=400

By the way the 'no wind mod' didn't seem to improve my framerate at all so I don't recommend it. It certainly looks cool with the wind blowing the trees and grass anyway. I don't think he did it right, because trees and grass still seem to move just a slight amount - as if they are still being processed as blowing.

On a side note, can we list the mods we're using? Currently using: Oldblivion. That's about it. Thanks for sharing the grass thing, that'll help.

Back