Power connectors - Which way is up

R

redrovermine7

My new Asus P4 MoBO manual/schematic doesn't show which way is up for Speaker / power/ LED HD / reset plugs. The pins in general are marked (ie Speaker) but it doesn't say if label goes up or down when plugging in cable. Does it matter? Can you tell by the color..ie. white is ____ Black or red is ____ ? I see some have a triangle shape marking one of the wires? Also ,why are there usualy 3 or 4 HD LED cables from front? I can probably surf the net and find something, but there always seems to be an answer in this forum. :cool:

It matters for LEDs because LEDs are diodes that only work one way round. I don't think it matters for speaker/reset/power, but your LEDs won't work if they are in the wrong way round. Trial and error is usually a good method here, since getting them the wrong way round doesn't harm them.

Lol, i had the same problem with my mobo, i cannot remember how i worked it out but all the cable names (on the plugs) are facing upwards.
I was pissed off how badly this area of the motherboard was explained.

short recoil said:
Lol, i had the same problem with my mobo, i cannot remember how i worked it out but all the cable names (on the plugs) are facing upwards.
I was pissed off how badly this area of the motherboard was explained.
Yeah, it's a common problem ... probably the worst and most time-consuming part of building a new PC.

I wish motherboard manufacturers and case manufacturers would pull their fingers out to standardise this, and make a simple standard socket / plug combo for these wires.

Back